Foods to prepare when going on a plane ride, that won't spoil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bringing a packet of ketchup thru security can get you into trouble but when the burger joint past security puts one in your bag it’s no big deal. Does it make sense?....

Of course it makes sense. The security screeners have no idea what's in the purported packet of ketchup some unknown passenger brings in from the outside -- it could easily conceal enough nitroglycerin to bring down a plane, or something flammable or perhaps the ingredients to make a larger bomb when combined with other packets of "ketchup." The vendors inside the security area are thoroughly screened and their backgrounds checked. It's possible, of course, that one of the employees could be in cahoots with a terrorist, but that's pretty remote.

Peanuts the airlines serve them so why not.
Not entirely true. If a passenger alerts the airline that he or she is allergic to peanuts, most airlines will switch to pretzels. I fly frequently, at least twice a month on average, and I've seen it happen several times.

Without listening to the video, I'll concede that may have been handled improperly.

I travel internationally and have NEVER had a problem with the TSA or customs or any other governmental organization. That's one story on the other side.

How about the hundreds of thousands of other travelers who pass through security checkpoints every day? 99.99% go through without incident.

Surely, you can improve your chances of not having an issue if you follow the rules.
I agree completely. The problems I've witnessed have generally been caused by inexperienced travelers who don't have a clue about what to do and can't seem to follow simple instructions, and by others who blatantly ignore the rules.

Give the TSA agents a break -- it's a boring, tedious job that's unfortunately necessary. I have yet to hear a reasonable, workable alternative.

Surely, you can improve your chances of not having an issue if you follow the rules.

One trip I made in LAX the screaners were telling everyone it is TSA policy that shoes must be in a bin. Less than 24 hours latter in ATL the TSA is telling evertone that it is TSA policy that shoes can not go in the bins.

So I asked why is it the TSA policy different in TPA than LAX. Remember this is the next day but the TSA agent had me pulled out for secondary. How could I have know what the ruels were?

In ATL when the TSA web site said you could leave your shoes on if the soles and heals were less than a certain amount. I was wearing shoes less than that and the TSA screener yelled at me that it was TSA policy for all shoes to come off. I said no its not. He then begain to yell at me that is was TSA policy. So I pulled out a copy of the TSA web site saying that it was ok. I got secondary again. I was within the rules and demaned a supervisor.

BTW I also fly across the pond.

Of course it makes sense. The security screeners have no idea what's in the purported packet of ketchup some unknown passenger brings in from the outside -- it could easily conceal enough nitroglycerin to bring down a plane, or something flammable or perhaps the ingredients to make a larger bomb when combined with other packets of "ketchup."

Same could be said for the toothpaste that you are allowed to bring.

In ATL when the TSA web site said you could leave your shoes on if the soles and heals were less than a certain amount. I was wearing shoes less than that and the TSA screener yelled at me that it was TSA policy for all shoes to come off. I said no its not. He then begain to yell at me that is was TSA policy. So I pulled out a copy of the TSA web site saying that it was ok. I got secondary again. I was within the rules and demaned a supervisor.
Whether you were right or wrong or the agent was right or wrong, arguing with them about it is just going to cause you problems. Taking off your shoes is not a big deal. If you would have taken off your shoes, even though according to the rules you found you do not have to, you would have probably sailed right through without any issues.

I have worked in many large corporations and one thing is the same no matter where it is. No one knows what all the rules and regulations are. When I worked for a very large bank we would have to know tons of rules and regs. Every few months you would find out that the reg you had been quoting for the past 3 months was completely wrong and then you had to start quoting it differently. The TSA is like a huge corporation. You can not expect every employee to know everything perfectly. Sure it is frustrating as hell, but these are just people doing a job the best the can (for the most part) and arguing with them is pointless and will only contribute to your inconvenience and unhappiness.

One trip I made in LAX the screaners were telling everyone it is TSA policy that shoes must be in a bin. Less than 24 hours latter in ATL the TSA is telling evertone that it is TSA policy that shoes can not go in the bins.

So I asked why is it the TSA policy different in TPA than LAX. Remember this is the next day but the TSA agent had me pulled out for secondary. How could I have know what the ruels were?

BTW I also fly across the pond.
The rules vary from location to location depending in part on what type of scanning equipment they have. LAX now insists that the shoes cannot be in a bin and must be directly on the conveyor belt instead. San Jose lets you put them in the bin.

You're right about the toothpaste. Same with gels and so forth. But what's the alternative? Ban them completely?

The rules vary from location to location depending in part on what type of scanning equipment they have. LAX now insists that the shoes cannot be in a bin and must be directly on the conveyor belt instead. San Jose lets you put them in the bin.

As per the TSA blog TSA policy is to request that they be placed on the belt.
The TSA Blog: Shoes on the X-ray belt, or in a bin???
But as you have experienced different airports different rules. Personally if I have to take off my shoes (which I don’t have to do in the rest of the world) I prefer not to use a bin.

You're right about the toothpaste. Same with gels and so forth. But what's the alternative? Ban them completely?

Which points out the folly of a lot of what is being done.

As to a complete ban on liquids in the cabin. I was flying in and out every week when the nut jobs were busted in the UK. In fact I flew out of Laguardia that afternoon. Going from a guy who almost never checked a bad to checking alomst everything all I can say is what a pain.

I am looking for recipes for a plane ride and need to make sure that it won't spoil.

If the TSA discussion needs to continue, I recommend a new thread be started.

Let's get back to trying to help the OP with useful answers to the request above.

Whether you were right or wrong or the agent was right or wrong, arguing with them about it is just going to cause you problems. Taking off your shoes is not a big deal. If you would have taken off your shoes, even though according to the rules you found you do not have to, you would have probably sailed right through without any issues.

If the TSA officer would have followed TSA policy I could have sailed thru just like I had done at several other airports that month with the same shoes.

If the TSA officer would have followed TSA policy I could have sailed thru just like I had done at several other airports that month with the same shoes.
Please see the rest of my post that you did not quote where it talks about humans not being perfect at their jobs. Please also see Andy's post just above. We need to get back to talking about what foods to bring on a plane.

How long is the trip and does the airport offer food past security? I know that ours doesn't, it's quite small, but once in bigger cities, one can pick up cheese sticks, fruit, granola, yogurt parfaits (like at the arches), and lots of other choices from the familiar chains, to others offering sandwiches, wraps, etc. Of course, one pays a premium price for food past security points in airports.
I've seen people pull out sandwiches they've made, (whole)fruit they've packed. Keep things relatively dry, in original packaging if possible, and get your beverages past security points on the concourse.

As per the TSA blog TSA policy is to request that they be placed on the belt.
The TSA Blog: Shoes on the X-ray belt, or in a bin???...
That may be what the blog says, but TSA itself says this:
TSA: Travel Assistant

"Request" to a cop, TSA or otherwise, means "do it or else."

As for the OP's question, I don't think it's worth the hassle of bringing your own food. You can get something at McDonald's or Burger King or someplace inside the airport. True, it's more expensive than what you bring from home -- but that's assuming you get to keep what you bring and that it doesn't spoil (you cannot bring ice or freezer cold packs, which are gels).

You have enough to worry about on travel day without having to get up even earlier to make sandwiches or something that may be confiscated by security.

Commercial food choices once past security are great unless you have one of the many food allergies!

I often travel to Wichita from Portland Or. I take Egg Salad Sandwiches and have never become ill from then - they are not left in a hot car for an afternoon after all!

I've also taken home-made Granola though I do not use peanuts. Cheese Sticks work well, Jerky, Chex Mix, and as someone said chocolate...for stress.

That worries me more is the recent news of baggage being looted by employees. If they can take stuff out - can't they put bad stuff in???

I don't bring food on a plane. If I did it would be a bag of carrot sticks and celery, maybe some nuts. The longest trip I've taken was from Orlando to Honolulu, from DC to Honolulu. But they gave us some food on the way. The worst was from Honolulu to Narita (Japan) and that is another story entirely, but I've never felt the need to carry my food with me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom