Fool proof deviled eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
I've got to make deviled eggs for Thursday. I usually use my older eggs to hard cook, but I don't have any older eggs. How can I make these perfect with very fresh eggs? If I don't get an answer, I will just make 2 dozen and pick out the 12 nicest.

I put my eggs into the pan... add cool water...and a little vinegar... bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and run under cold water. Let cool and then peel.

Do you have a recipe for the filling that you like?

There is just no way to predict. One way to perhaps insure getting more than usual from fresh eggs is to boil them a really long time so they are really really HARD. For the eggs that are pickled and served in bars that is how they do it in order to allow the people who peel them to really make time.

I've always added vinegar and salt to the water...the salt is supposed to make the eggs easier to peel.

Thanks to all. Yes, PD's I do have a filling recipe, I just didn't want to take any chances. I usually save back my old eggs when I know I will need them for deviled eggs, but I was called to furnish these for a meal for a family who lost a member and had used my other eggs. Thanks a bunch.

The difference between using older eggs and newer, fresher eggs lies in how hard they will be to peel. Old eggs are a lot easier to peel. They take the same amount of time to cook.

If you overcook eggs, the yolks turn green/grey around the edges, which is a bit unsightly with deviled eggs. If you don't mind this, great. If you do, make sure not to overcook the eggs -- put themin an ice bath when they have cooked long enough.

Gretchen said:
For the eggs that are pickled and served in bars that is how they do it in order to allow the people who peel them to really make time.

someone actually eats those???? :sick:

an interesting historical note: pickled or hard boiled eggs were served in bars in nyc because way back, it was illegal to own and operate a saloon or bar in the city. that is, a place that only sold beer and liquor for immediate consumption. so in order to get around the laws, bar owners used to charge patrons a few cents for their meal of pickled or hard boiled eggs, which no one ate but just left on the egg tree on the end of the bar, and then they could drink till their hearts content. it was even illegal to call your establishment a saloon, to which you can still see signs written "sal**n", to let people know that it served alcohol.
lol, it's like the way we get around the censors here...

Buckytom, when I was younger every saloon in NYC was called a bar and grill.

And they had to have some simple fixings, like ham and bread for a sandwich, and I believe at least a small electric grill to get and keep their license. But I do not remember boiled eggs.

Have seen them in other tippling establishments, but not generally in NYC.

Anyway, just usually put the eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, and let sit for twelve to fifteen minutes or so.

Chill in ice water.

Roll on the counter.

And peel.

Some are easier than others.

And the only way I will eat hard boiled eggs, ich, poo, spit, is deviled.

Cover eggs with cold water. Bring water to boil in an uncovered pan. Let boil 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and cover. Let the eggs sit for 17 minutes in the hot water. Plop the eggs into an ice bath. Then peel. Works perfectly everytime, with old eggs or new.

Back
Top Bottom