Free tap water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not sure it was ever definitively said that the bar sponsored the tournament. That is just an assumption based on a name.
It really doesn't matter if there is sponsorship anyway. A sponsor is not required to hand out anything more than their original sponsorship donation.

Its still cheesy though. I think I'd approach it differently than bigdaddy if I were sufficiently irritated. I think I'd find the owner/manager of the bar (hoping it isn't the doofus that refused you) and explain the situation. Explain as well that your league will consider...moving elsewhere, shunning their establishment...etc etc.

If you are talking about the one I just moved today then you better leave it RIGHT THERE. ;)

i guess my annoyance is that in general, most places will supply water without question....it is not required, and may even cost them a tiny amount, but it is a courtesy that most establishments will extend.....i consider this to be even more true if you are buying something during the same visit (the drinks we bought)....since, at least in my experience, it is more normal to give out water than not, that means that this place went against the grain to deny me.....and this is before we even consider the fact that the water they are unwilling to give out is being freely distributed in high volume to wash sand off people's feet...

it is sort of like if you drop your stuff while walking down the street....no one is required to help, and technically they are not in the wrong if they ignore you, but for the little bit of effort (or $) it costs, it creates alot of goodwill and is just the nice thing to do....it will not ruin their day to help, and i dont think that some water will cause the bar to collapse (even if alot of people started asking)

so i realize that i do not have any right to be annoyed with them, but i dont think im crazy for feeling that way

just for the record, im not some nutball who is all bent out of shape about this....it happened and i stopped caring minutes later, but i just wanted to get people's opinion on it...so its really more for the sake of a discussion, which im enjoying

I think you have purposely taken things out of context.

If you are buying a meal, water is there for the asking.

If you are dehydrated to the point you are mumbling, anyone would provide water without cost. That is part of the human condition.

If you skate up to a vendor on your roller skates on the boardwalk, don't expect them to provide anything without cost. My experience is they will charge for the cup, and the ice.

Bob

not quite sure how i am purposely taking things out of context

and none of the three examples you provided were the case (though buying a drink is not drastically different that buying a meal...especially at $5 a beer)....but i think we all agree that they are not required to give out free water, and that some feel it would have been the right thing to do....

not quite sure how i am purposely taking things out of context

and none of the three examples you provided were the case (though buying a drink is not drastically different that buying a meal...especially at $5 a beer)....but i think we all agree that they are not required to give out free water, and that some feel it would have been the right thing to do....

Hello TheNoodleIncident.

I hope you have a nice day, and yes, I agree with you. If you are paying anything for something, the vendor should be nice enough to provide water upon request.

I should spend more time before replying.

Bob

Hello TheNoodleIncident.

I hope you have a nice day, and yes, I agree with you. If you are paying anything for something, the vendor should be nice enough to provide water upon request.

I should spend more time before replying.

Bob

no worries - i was just a little confused by the response

anyway, this whole thing made for some fun conversation, if nothing else...helps make the workday go by faster

have a good one

mike

I ate at a restaurant yesterday, and I doubt that I'd have been able to go back later in the day and get free water.
That said, did you ever find out about their "sponsorship" of the team and how that would affect stuff like free water on game days?

well, the difference is that at a resturant, you sit down for a certain amount of time, pay, and leave....the time that you are a "customer" for that day is relatively easy to define...with a bar, you kind of come and go throughout your visit....i came and went within the same visit, which is why i felt water was not unreasonable....i would not expect to order a beer on tuesday night, then get free water on wednesday

unfortunately, no, i never did find out the specifics of the sponsorship....the tournament was the last day of a summer long league (all at the same bar/beach)....knowing that i would have to deal with them for a while has made me lazy...we will see what happens next summer

I thought you were there earlier in the day, left the establishment, then came back...

I thought you were there earlier in the day, left the establishment, then came back...

nope....all the courts are on the sand, and the bar is on the edge...so, if you are between a game, you have time to get a drink, bring it back to your court, and finish it before your next game starts....no one hangs out at the actual bar (picture a snack bar - there is really no place to hang out)...it was designed this way....so i understand why they didnt recognize us (lots of people and all), but it was still the same trip

i could see how someone would say that those are separate trips, but i sort of equate the courts in the sand to tables at a regular bar....they are the designated places to hang out - you bring your drink to them, then go back when you are ready for another

oh, that's different!!!! I wouldn't wait until next summer to address the sponsorship/lack of water issue, then.

but i sort of equate the courts in the sand to tables at a regular bar....they are the designated places to hang out - you bring your drink to them, then go back when you are ready for another
Are the courts owned by the bar? If they are then I can see your point, but if they are not then I would side with the bar, at least as far as responsibility is concerned. Now what they should do as far as looking good and ensuring future business is a different story.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom