Freezer Fail Detector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
Freezer Fail Detector: Here's a simple one: what happens if your power goes out while you're on vacation? Well your food will thaw, then go bad, then refreeze, and you'll be none the wiser when you go to eat it. The freezer fail detector is just a jar filled half-way with water then frozen on its side. Put the jar upright and glance at it whenever you open your freezer. No more salmonella!

We leave a tray of ice cubes upside down. If they are still as we left them, we know all is good. If they are empty or reduced, we know the freezer began to thaw......

Good tips. In my upright freezer, if the inch thick frost on the shelves is gone, I know I have a problem.

Good tips. In my upright freezer, if the inch thick frost on the shelves is gone, I know I have a problem.

:LOL:
That's exactly what I was thinking. If the frost migrates to the bottom of the freezer, I've had a thaw ;)

Thanks--with all the freezers we have, and the fact that we bop between houses, that is something we should do. I do know if there has been a power blip because the clock on the microwave is not on...but that doesn't tell me if it was a blip or longer than that.

Back
Top Bottom