Freezer temp too high...is my food still good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

notoriousben3

Assistant Cook
I returned home from vacation to find my freezer full of ice crystals!

Upon further inspection, I noticed that the freezer temp was set at 6 degrees Fahrenheit, when it was supposed to be set at 0 degrees.

Is the food in there still good, or is a full week at a temp slightly too high bad for the food in there?

There was no meat in there, but some frozen veggies, frozen homemade sauces and things like that.

They are probably not bad but the taste and texture of some of your vegies is probably affected.

Check with your neighbours- was there a power failure? Ice crystals suggest that maybe there was. So it would depend on how long the power was out.

Are all your vegies a solid lump in the bag?... in other words did they defrost/melt completely and then freeze again? Those might be pretty yucky and I, personally, would probably toss them.

It really depends if there had been a power failure.

+6 F is still very much below freezing point of 32 F and I doubt enough to create crystals. Is the door solid fit might be checked too. Perhaps it never got shut tight, something got caught in it?

6ºF is not a short-term issue for frozen food. As dragnlaw said, freezing is 32ºF. I agree that the door may have been left ajar or that the seals are bad.

This is where you are better off with a full freezer, the mass of the food is cold and is not going to heat up soon. So you don't know how warm it got.

Taste will tell.

T

Back
Top Bottom