Freezing chicken curry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caff71

Assistant Cook
HI,

I hope someone can help answer my query. I frequently make the curry in the recipe in this link....

currycouncil.com: Full Recipe for Chicken Chasni

...however, whenever I put the leftovers in the freezer they never seem to freeze completely! I have other meals in the freezer too and they seem to be frozen fine but this one doesn't. I've just looked in the freezer where I have 3 portions of it and they are all in varying degrees of 'frozen-ness' (they were made about 2 weeks ago and have been in the freezer ever since).

Anyone any ideas? Is it safe to eat them?

(Edited to correct attrocious spelling)

Last edited:
I'm thinking the amount of sugar and pectin in the chutney coupled with the sugar in ketchup would keep the sauce from freezing solid (think freezer jam or the packets of sauce that come with frozen orange chicken or other such frozen meals). Frozen fruit juice concentrate doesn't actually freeze solid. Is the chicken itself freezing solid?

Last edited:
Hi Somebunny, thanks for replying. I've just checked one of them and the chicken seems to be frozen but to test it, I tried to cut it with a knife and it seemed to cut pretty easily. I'm just new to cooking so I'm very confused to say the least. Would you expect to be able to cut a lump of frozen chicken with a knife? Sorry for more questions!

When you freeze something to preserve it, the key factor is its temperature, not how hard it gets. So if your freezer chills to 0ºF, everything in there is that temperature and safe.

Hi Andy M. thanks for the reply. My freezer doesn't have a temp gauge on it. I do however have ice trays in there and the cubes are frozen solid so would it be safe to assume that it's 0 deg F in there and therefore they're safe to eat? Apologies again for the noob questions!

Btw, great signature! Sagan was a very wise man. :)

When you freeze something to preserve it, the key factor is its temperature, not how hard it gets. So if your freezer chills to 0ºF, everything in there is that temperature and safe.

Caff, Andy is correct and I should have added that info to my reply!

Back
Top Bottom