"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Freezing Homemade Gnocchi Question

We had a pretty good potato season, and Im looking for ways to store them. We dont have a cold enough space for them to store for the entire winter ( they often start sprouting after a few weeks). We have already made French fries , grated potatoes for hash browns and pierogi which are all frozen.

I will likely make gnocchi today to freeze for later use. Ive found several recipes which all mention at the end of the recipe that they can been frozen. When to freeze them has been conflicting info. Some say freeze ( and a baking pan single layer) prior to cooking. Move to a bag or container once frozen for future use. Other recipe say to freeze them after cooking ( same method as above).

My instincts feel that they should be frozen prior to being cooked. Thats what we do for pierogi and ravioli. I feel that freezing them after being cooked just adds more moisture and risking consistency issues that may happen as a result of the freezing.

Has anyone frozen homemade gnocchis and if so how have you done it ?

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
Executive Chef

"My instincts feel that they should be frozen prior to being cooked. Thats what we do for pierogi and ravioli. I feel that freezing them after being cooked just adds more moisture and risking consistency issues that may happen as a result of the freezing."
You are correct. It has been a few years since I have made this but, after one mess, I always froze them uncooked.

Ross
Old 10-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I've frozen them, single layer then bag, before in the past, then cooked from frozen. I do have to say I always found them to not be as good after freezing, which is why I don't freeze them anymore.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
Master Chef

Freezing potatoes in any form makes them lose their moisture, so anything usually becomes mush and falls apart...they shrink wrap them in the stores and sell them in the pasta section so, there has got to be a reason for that..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Never made it, but I always freeze my pasta raw. This may help:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...eezing-gnocchi

Note that everything I have found says it will only keep well 4-6 weeks.
ScottinPollock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free, homemade