Freezing Meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
Ya'll know that I've gone back to work full time. WHAT A CHANGE!!!

Anyway... I want to freeze some meals that I can just thaw out and warm up when I get home.

I know I can do soups, stews, chilis, pasta sauces...

BUT, are there any HEALTHY "skinny" but still tasteful foods I can use?
It's getting to be summer time too so I don't think soups are a good idea.

Thanks! Trish

( p.s) We're not big fans of frozen veggies. Don't mind if they are an ingredient in the dish but..don't want them to be the main focus.

;);)

Miss Trish I've never done anything like you are talkin about...Maybe some casseroles..?? I'd keep plenty of salad stuff on hand...a few frozen swimps, for last minute cooking... to add to the salad..Swimp Salad...Bonless, skinless chicken breast for sauteing, frying...For Salads maybe, and....A big bowl of potato salad will last a few days as a side dish...I'm thinking a good, well thought out menu plan for the week would be perfect. ya don't want to come in and have figure out..."What's for dinner???"

I really don't know what HEALTHY "skinny" is. One eats food to avoid becoming "skinny", but if you want to freeze meals, I use some nice microwave 2 & 3-compartment plates with lids on them. Put anything you want in each section, put the lid on and freeze. Later just pop into the microwave and heat up just like any frozen dinner.

Just remember that some things, like mayonnaise, lettuce, tomatoes, etc., don't freeze well, but just about everything else is freezable.

One thing that might help that we do is when we have leftovers that are too much for a lunch, I fix a "plate" and put in the freezer. It's pretty easy to do. One of the meals I frequently freeze is meatloaf. Buck and I can't eat a whole meatloaf at dinner and I almost always serve mashed potatoes with meatloaf. I slice several pieces of meatloaf per plate, put a dollop of mashed potatoes on the plate and freeze. All we have to do is add another side or salad and dessert. You could make meatloaf with ground turkey to make it skinnier.

On days when you aren't working, make something in the crock-pot and make enough to have two meals. Freeze one. I've done that, too, with success. I have a great crock-pot spaghetti sauce recipe that makes tons of sauce. We eat some and I freeze some for later.

I'm sure I'm forgetting more, but these are the first things that come to mind.

I like to have dh make extra grilled chicken when he BBQs.
Then, whatever's leftover gets cut up into two piles - one for using within a day or two, and the other goes into a freezer bag.
A great "skinny" meal is to put your pre-grilled chicken into the fridge the night before, and when you come home, make a nice spinach salad, topped with chicken & a few fresh fruits, such as berries or peaches. It's nice to top that with some raw pinenuts. (Make sure not to spoil your "skinniness" with a dressing - I use an atomizer filled with canola oil and just put a tiny spray across the salad. Then I use a pump spray filled with balsamic and spray over the salad._

Thanks guys!

oh.. I meant low calorie, low fat by skinny.

smiles, T

I like to make a big batch of homemade spaghetti sauce and freeze it in meal size containers. Before you go to work put a container in the refrigerator to thaw or thaw it when you get home, cooke some pasta, put some garlic bread in the oven, cook a frozen vegetable and fix a salad. Use whole wheat pasta, you can make healthy spaghetti sauce.

Thanks mom! I love pastas but I'm really trying to find less fattening foods to use. I need to lose some weight and hubby wants to be healthier.

The next time you are at the grocery store take a walk down the frozen foods aisle and check out what is available in the Healthy Choice meals. This will give you some ideas.

After Dad passed away I used to cook heat-n-eat meals for my step-mom every week (about 12 years). You can do a lot!

Last edited:
I make frozen meals as routine. First I went to the Dollar Store and bought lidded plates that can be both frozen and microwaved. They are divided into three sections.

One section I use for meat. Roast beef, meatloaf, pork chops and chicken freeze well. I add a little juice/gravy to them to keep them moist.

In the second section I put vegetables, already cooked and seasoned.

In the third section I put a starch, precooked rice, dressing, sweet potatoes, already cooked. Again I add something that keeps them moist, for example a little tomato salsa in the rice.

Use your imagination. You will come up with a number of things that work well.

The reason I do it is for easy-cooked meals. I may eat them twice a week. When I do, I'm grateful to have them.

As far as calorie counting, they are great. Your meals are already portioned - no second helpings available.

As far as calorie counting, they are great. Your meals are already portioned - no second helpings available.

And that is a wonderful thing!!

Thanks Simplicity!

Back
Top Bottom