Frozen Butt Thawing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
I have a pork butt I froze a while back and now it is time to thaw it. How long do you think it will take in the fridge to get an 11Lb butt thawed?

If there isn't any real hurry, just put it in the fridge and keep checking. When it's thawed - start it cooking.

This is one cut of meat I don't do anything to the meat, just the braising liquid.

How are you planning on cooking this monster?

There is no real hurry. I am planning on having some time on Monday or Tuesday and going to attempt to make sausage.

I went by the italian market next to the bagel place (best bagels ever) and asked about casings. The fella there sold me some small and large, I am planning some breakfast and kielbasa, for next to nothing ($5). He also told me he was going to making sausage in a bit and said I could come watch.

Went back and watched him do some tomato and basil from end to end (cutting, stuffing and linking). Not having made sausage it was a great thing to see it done, and he explained everything while he was doing it.

I had bought the butt to BBQ it, I do a wicked good pulled pork in the Carolina style, but I can always buy more. :)

If you have that much time, I'd defrost it in the fridge. That could take 3 days to fully thaw.

That was the plan.

Of course I have put stuff in the fridge to thaw and thought it would be a day and it has taken longer, but I am not in a hurry, other than impatience to make sausage. :LOL:

You can do the cold water method.

Large 30 minutes per pound
Small they say 2 to 3 hours.

Munky.

I know in my fridge a butt that size would take at least four days to completely thaw.

If you are going to grind it, you don't want it completely thawed. Slightly frozen meats work better through a grinder.

Attachments

• Sam-Poster-1.jpg
    Sam-Poster-1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 197
Back
Top Bottom