Fry rather than Deep Fry Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhoj

Assistant Cook
I would like to use a recipe that calls for deep frying but do not want to deep fry the chicken but fry it or roast it.
Can someone help me out here, I lost my wife in May and would like to make chicken.
I know that you do not crowd the chicken in a pan.
Do you brown the chicken first or what.

I'm sorry about your wife, nhoj.

Nhoj looks like john backwards.

OK, so more info needed. It appears you want to shalliw fry or oven fry chicken, yes?

I would like to use a recipe that calls for deep frying but do not want to deep fry the chicken but fry it or roast it.
Can someone help me out here, I lost my wife in May and would like to make chicken.
I know that you do not crowd the chicken in a pan.
Do you brown the chicken first or what.

One method is to lightly fry the chicken and then put it in the oven to finish cooking. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pepper to 1 cup of flour. Pour enough oil into a pan to go halfway up the chicken pieces. Heat the oil to medium high. Coat the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour. Carefully set the chicken in the hot oil for 3-5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to a rack and place it in the oven at 375F for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken reaches at least 165F.

Last edited:
My condolences on your loss.

I'll make a suggestion you might not want to hear, but I've discovered that with the time it takes to fry, the mess it makes, the cost of the ingredients, that it's actually cheaper and easier to buy a bucket from KFC, and even cheaper if your grocery store has a hot case and sells fried chicken. Only thing with the grocery store is talk to the counter people beforehand and see if they have a schedule of when they fry the chicken because you want to get it fresh and not after it has sat under the heat lamps for a while because that makes the breading REALLY hard and dries out the chicken. We have Publix grocery stores here and their chicken is as good as KFC in my opinion. We only get the chicken and make the sides at home ourselves.

I pan fried our chicken up until about 2 years ago when I discovered the above one night when I didn't want to cook and we wanted fried chicken. Obviously, you will need a large HEAVY skillet if you are doing a whole chicken or quite a few of your favorite pieces. Fill it about half way with canola or vegetable oil or a blend. Set the burner to med high to get the oil heated. I don't use a thermometer, just the handle end of a round wooden spoon. I start sticking the round end in the oil after a few minutes heating every few minutes and as soon as loads of tiny bubbles immediately sizzle up around the spoon the oil is ready to go. Breasts go in first, skin side down (cutting them in half horizontally will cut down on the cooking time), then thighs, then legs, then wings. You will need to turn the oil down some once the chicken goes in, I usually turn it down to just under medium. After several minutes, maybe 5 or so, turn the pieces over in the order in you put them in, then turn again a couple more times at about 5 minute intervals. It will take about 20-25 minutes for the bigger pieces.

If you have a thermometer for oil/candy making that can stay in the pan, 350-375 to start, then cook at 300-325.

You can check for doneness by either cutting into a thigh down to bone to check for blood or use an instant read thermometer, which should peg at 165ish, just be sure it's in the deepest part of meat and not touching bone.

If your chicken starts to brown too fast in the oil, turn the heat down, or if it's too late for that, remove the chicken from the oil and place on a cookie sheet in the oven as Caslon suggested, though I'd check the temp first with the instant read in the chicken and adjust cooking time based on that.

Last edited:
Had you ever thought of doing a tray bake? I do them a lot, they're so easy, like this:

Chicken joints bone in, breast pieces bone attached.
roll in seasoned flour, or seasoned breadcrumbs
place on an oven tray
drizzle evo, canola, or whatever your preference is
scatter over potato pieces, chunks of sausage, mushrooms, bell pepper pieces, eggplant, whatever your fancy takes you
sprinkle over parmesan cheese if you like....
This is a do as you please thing, and it's very handy for days when you're thinking 'what shall I do tonight' You simply put it all in the tray, drizzle extra oil if necessary, and s&p. Set the oven temperature so that all the items you've put in cook together - you may need to add some vegetables later. You don't have to stand over it, just check now and then to see doneness. Simple!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

One method is to lightly fry the chicken and then put it in the oven to finish cooking. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pepper to 1 cup of flour. Pour enough oil into a pan to go halfway up the chicken pieces. Heat the oil to medium high. Coat the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour. Carefully set the chicken in the hot oil for 3-5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to a rack and place it in the oven at 375F for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken reaches at least 165F.

That seems like way too much salt to me. My mom's recipe for a flour dredge for fried chicken is 1 tsp each salt, paprika and poultry seasoning and 1/2 tsp black pepper.

What I would really like to do bake it if I could and that would be mote heather am I not right

When I have a question on procedures on cooking something , besides asking on here my first place I go, I will also go to you tube so you can see a video of it done. Especially if you haven't deep fried for safety reasons.

What I would really like to do bake it if I could and that would be mote heather am I not right

Depends on your definition of healthier ;) Some people go low-fat, some go low-carb high-protein.

To bake crispy chicken, heat the oven to 475F. Set out three shallow plates or bowls. In the first, put seasoned flour. In the second, put two beaten eggs. In the third, put panko bread crumbs. Put a cooling rack in a baking sheet.

Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour and shake off excess. Do the same with the egg and panko. Place the pieces on the rack. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

+1. Thjis is the method I've been touting for years. It creates a light crust and the meat is so juicy it will squirt you when you bite into it. The only difference in my technique is that I don't season the flour, and lightly salt the chicken befor placing into the oven.

For a crunchier coating, dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, and let sit for about two minutes. Then, dip in egg was to coat (1 large beaten egg whisked with about 3 tbs. milk), and then back into the flour. Shake off extra flour and lightly fry as before, then bake as before.

I have a 14 herbs and spices seasoning recipe if you are interested. Makes a very tasty coating.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

+1. Thjis is the method I've been touting for years. It creates a light crust and the meat is so juicy it will squirt you when you bite into it. The only difference in my technique is that I don't season the flour, and lightly salt the chicken befor placing into the oven.

For a crunchier coating, dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, and let sit for about two minutes. Then, dip in egg was to coat (1 large beaten egg whisked with about 3 tbs. milk), and then back into the flour. Shake off extra flour and lightly fry as before, then bake as before.

I have a 14 herbs and spices seasoning recipe if you are interested. Makes a very tasty coating.

Please post recipe. TY Chief

Chief’s Bull Dog Chicken

Preheat the oven to 375' F.
In a bowl, combine the following with a wire whisk.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/8 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1 dash Chinese 5-spice powder
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder
1 tsp. chili powder
In a separate bowl, make an egg-wash from 1 large egg whisked with 1/4 cup water.

Preheat 2 inches of oil in a frying pan until fragrant. Turn heat to medium flame.

Skin the chicken thighs and dredge in seasoned flour. Dip in the egg-wash, and then again in the seasoned flour. Shake excess coating from the chicken and place in hot oil. Don't crown the pan. Fry on each side for 2 minutes. Remove the chicken to a foil-lined pan and place into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

You can make more by multiplying by 2 or 3 for as much seasoned coating as you need.

BT, I want to see your favorite seasoned flour recipe. Wondering what Joisey has to bring to the table. I know it would be great.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Noth

That looks really good, Chief. I love the idea of skinning the chicken first. I might actually be able to convince DW, the health nut, to let me make this if it is skinless.

Do you think it's work as well on skinned breasts and legs?

Since we don't fry very often, actually almost never, I don't have a seasoned flour recipe. Well, now I do; I have yours. :chef:

I'll post my pork chop marinade as a thanks for your recipe.

That looks really good, Chief. I love the idea of skinning the chicken first. I might actually be able to convince DW, the health nut, to let me make this if it is skinless.

Do you think it's work as well on skinned breasts and legs?

Since we don't fry very often, actually almost never, I don't have a seasoned flour recipe. Well, now I do; I have yours. :chef:

I'll post my pork chop marinade as a thanks for your recipe.

When I skin chicken for something, I often crisp it under the broiler and serve it on the side. So you and your son could enjoy the skin ;)

And when I roast chicken pieces with skin, I rub the spice mix (without flour) under the skin, so it seasons the meat directly. Very yummy :yum:

When I skin chicken for something, I often crisp it under the broiler and serve it on the side. So you and your son could enjoy the skin ;)

And when I roast chicken pieces with skin, I rub the spice mix (without flour) under the skin, so it seasons the meat directly. Very yummy :yum:

Chicken Skin Cracklins, they are so yummy. Fry or place under the broiler and remove from the pan, or broiler pan when golden brown, lightly salt, and enjoy crispy Heaven. Oh, and BT, let your wife know that both chicken and pork fat have less cholesterol than does butter. Besides, buy broiling or frying the chicken skin in a dry pan, you are rendering out the fat, leaving a delicious treat in the crispy skin.

+1. Thjis is the method I've been touting for years. It creates a light crust and the meat is so juicy it will squirt you when you bite into it.

I tried to fry my chicken without the oven method, but by the time the chicken was fully cooked, the outside coating was burnt, no matter what oil temp I tried! I still haven't mastered pan frying chicken with the hot oil method alone. :neutral:

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of healthier ;) Some people go low-fat, some go low-carb high-protein.

To bake crispy chicken, heat the oven to 475F. Set out three shallow plates or bowls. In the first, put seasoned flour. In the second, put two beaten eggs. In the third, put panko bread crumbs. Put a cooling rack in a baking sheet.

Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour and shake off excess. Do the same with the egg and panko. Place the pieces on the rack. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

I'm thinking of trying this method. One question: Is the chicken cooked to 165F internal temp after only 12-15 minutes?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom