Frying basics:Why won't my breadings stick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanna be

Senior Cook
I have pretty good luck with things that only require a quick fry at higher temps such as wings and poppers.When it comes to anything that requiers a longer lower temp to throghly cook it is a mess.The first side in the pan turns out pretty good but after I flip it the second side sticks.I use iron skillets and when I turn the pork chop there is a nice sizzeling sound so I think my pan is hot enough.I have tried many coatings and covering the pan at the begining to cook the top layer before turning to no avail.What am I doing wrong?

Are you drying your meat before egging and breading it? The bread crumbs (cracker crumbs, panko, whatever) will slide right off if the meat is wet when you start. Just take a paper towel and dab the meat until dry before continuing with the process.

Humm ... could be a couple of things. But, here is my list of thoughts:

Like Claire said - the food must be dry. Pat it dry, dredge in flour and shake off the excess, then in your egg/milk wash. and then in your final coating (flour, Panko, bread/cracker crumbs, corn flakes, whatever). Dredging in flour first insures a dry surface for everything else to stick to. Some people suggest letting your food sit on a wire rack for 20-30 minutes after this to allow the coating to dry out and set before frying. I don't always do this but it can make a difference.

The best temperatures for frying are from 350°F to 375°F. You need to get the temp up high enough so that it doesn't drop below 350° when you add food. So, if you mean by lowering the temp when frying some things that the temp will fall below this point - that is one of your problems.

You do NOT want to put a lid on something you are frying if you want it to be crisp. This causes the breading on top to steam and become wet - this can lead to the problem you describe. If spattering is a problem, get a spatter guard to use instead of a lid.

Don't overcrowd your pan. Not only will it cause the temp to drop too much, it also causes the food to steam - there has to be space between the pieces of food for the steam to escape.

Use an electric skillet! They are reasonably priced, and you can control the temperature better than with a skillet on the stove. Besides frying pork chops or chicken, they make great pancakes, grilled cheese sandwiches, casserole dishes and one dish meals.

Another tip...don't dry the meat. Roll it in flour first, then egg/milk, and then flour again. The first layer of flour helps the coating stick to the meat.

How much oil are you using? Are you talking about frying? It sounds like the pan is too dry and pulling the coating off, not the coating slipping off in hot oil.

you'll get a variety of opinions on whether or not to dry the meat. I dry mine. dust with flour, then egg wash, then crumbs (and if I want an extra thick coating, repeat the egg and crumbs).

Thanks!

I have'nt been drying before frying.I usually prep the chops for example in a milk brine.I then rinse them in clean milk and then right into the flour and then milk egg mix and then final coating.I will try drying them next time.As far as oil amount it is usally about a half inch in the pan.I also think that Michael is right about oil temps. I do have a tendancy to lower the heat when the breading is getting brown and the meat is not cooked.I do have a good recipie for fried chicken from Americas test kitchen that calls for the pan to be coverd for the first ten minuets of cooking and it works great.Not so much for anything else though.Any other tips would be apreciated as far as keeping the fried things from getting soggy in the oven.

One of the best tips I ever had was to let the meat "rest" and the breading set for about 10 minutes before frying.

I don't dry my meat either, but I toss it in flour and then do the egg wash/breading. Good luck!

I just put stuff on a cookie sheet or on a rack on a cookie sheet (with sides) in the oven and make sure it's cooked through. Doesn't get soggy. That's when I'm doing stuff like chicken fried steak or chicken parmesan. I can't fry them all in one pan anyway.

Back
Top Bottom