Garlic Lovers...Look at This!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep the info coming.. I LOVE garlic, but here where I live it is so expensive. And I sure do notlike the preminced or prechopped kind. Only fresh will do.

cliveb kindly PM'd this recipe to me over the weekend. I brought it to the Labor Day party we attended, but we left before it made it out of the fridge, so I can't say how delicious it tasted. It sure sounds wonderful.

Roasted Garlic Cheesecake:

25 Ritz crackers, rolled to crumbs (should be 1 1/2 C)
5 T melted butter
16 oz cream cheese, room temperature
2 eggs
3-4 fat cloves garlic, roasted and cooled, squeezed out
Pinch salt, white pepper, sugar
1/4 t each thyme, chopped parsley, rosemary
Heavy cream, if needed to thin (optional)
Serves 8-12, as an appetizer
Preheat oven to 325deg
Mix first two ingredients and pat firmly into bottom and 1/3 up the sides of a 9" springform pan.
Using blender or food processor, beat next six ingredients until very smooth and satiny. Pour into crust.
Bake 20 minutes. Turn off oven and leave pie in for another hour to cool.
Cover with foil and chill before serving.

Notes: I've made this in a 1/2 sheet pan, for squares.
Neufchatel cheese can be used, to lower the fat and calorie content. Actually tastes better to me...I think it's better for savory dishes.
I've tried using a beater and by hand, but the consistency just isn't right unless the mixture is beaten into submission with a higher powered motor.
The sugar is helpful to enhance the inherent sweetness of the roasted garlic. You can vary the herbs to your preference, but you need something that will stand up to the garlic flavor

What kind of garlic is the best to buy. I found this web site with I believe must be zillions of kinds. I had thought that buy garlic was a pretty up straight thing, but boy was I wrong. What kind do the most of you recommend ?

mudbug said:
cliveb kindly PM'd this recipe to me over the weekend. I brought it to the Labor Day party we attended, but we left before it made it out of the fridge, so I can't say how delicious it tasted. It sure sounds wonderful.

Roasted Garlic Cheesecake:

25 Ritz crackers, rolled to crumbs (should be 1 1/2 C)
5 T melted butter
16 oz cream cheese, room temperature
2 eggs
3-4 fat cloves garlic, roasted and cooled, squeezed out
Pinch salt, white pepper, sugar
1/4 t each thyme, chopped parsley, rosemary
Heavy cream, if needed to thin (optional)
Serves 8-12, as an appetizer
Preheat oven to 325deg
Mix first two ingredients and pat firmly into bottom and 1/3 up the sides of a 9" springform pan.
Using blender or food processor, beat next six ingredients until very smooth and satiny. Pour into crust.
Bake 20 minutes. Turn off oven and leave pie in for another hour to cool.
Cover with foil and chill before serving.

Notes: I've made this in a 1/2 sheet pan, for squares.
Neufchatel cheese can be used, to lower the fat and calorie content. Actually tastes better to me...I think it's better for savory dishes.
I've tried using a beater and by hand, but the consistency just isn't right unless the mixture is beaten into submission with a higher powered motor.
The sugar is helpful to enhance the inherent sweetness of the roasted garlic. You can vary the herbs to your preference, but you need something that will stand up to the garlic flavor
oh my gosh! you have GOT to be kidding me!!!!
garlic cheesecake. i'd have never thunk it!
that recipe seems like garlic heaven!
i will definately be making this one some time SOON!
and will let ya know how freakin' awesome it is!!!

kinds of garlic

i dont know about the kinds of garlic. i have only noticed one kind in the grocery store...that one works for me. but i might look into the other kinds to see what's up with it. sounds interesting!

jessicacarr, I know, I know! I'm thinking the barbarians at the party never even touched this little gem (lovely people, but mostly a chips and dips crowd) and I am determined to go rescue it this week.

How about Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic?

* Exported from MasterCook *
Chicken w/40 Cloves of Garlic.
Recipe By :Bill
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:25
Categories : Poultry
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 4 pound chicken, cut up -- rinsed and dried
3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 medium fresh parsley sprigs
1 medium fresh rosemary sprigs
1 medium fresh thyme sprig
1 large bay leaf
1 cup onions -- sl
40 cloves garlic -- unpeeled
1 cup celery -- chopped
1 cup chicken broth
french bread -- for accompaniment
Preheat the oven to 350F.

Rub the cavity and outside of the chicken with 1 Tbs of the oil, and season with the salt and pepper.

In a large Dutch oven or small roasting pan, heat the remaining 2 Tbs of oil. Add the chicken and cook, turning carefully to avoid tearing the skin, until golden brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer the chicken to a large plate. Add about 20 garlic cloves, onion, celery, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf and parsley to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, tuck the remaining 20 garlic cloves in among the chicken and pour the broth over the top. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and then top with the lid to create an airtight seal. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours without removing the cover (check doneness by cutting a piece after 1 hour and 10 minutes).

Remove the Dutch oven from the oven and transfer the chicken to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes. Place the pan juices, whole garlic cloves and herbs in a serving bowl and pass with the chicken platter and French bread. The garlic cloves will be mild, sweet and soft enough to spread over the bread.

mudbug said:
jessicacarr, I know, I know! I'm thinking the barbarians at the party never even touched this little gem (lovely people, but mostly a chips and dips crowd) and I am determined to go rescue it this week.

i will ge glad to help...mail me a piece:cool:

When a resipe calls for onions I generally substitute garlic instead (my wife is allergic to onion). I use 3 cloves in place of a medium onion.

There now you've all gone and done it again! I've drooled all over my keyboard!

Garlic is very easy to grow! There are two different kinds "Soft neck" and "hard neck" and a whole bunch of different varieties. So for those you who find it expensive in the store you might try growing your own!

Urmaniac, I've read that eating a piece of parsley is a breath-killer, but haven't tried it myself.

BJ, the chicken w 40 cloves o' garlic, I've seen over and over on the net. There is another made with vermouth (if I recall, from James Beard) and chicken, 40 cloves and artichokes.

Jessica, if you've never tried it, look for elephant garlic in the market.

If you're in Gilroy, CA, there's a garlic festival once a year (it may have ended in July), where every food imaginable is made with - what else - garlic. Even garlic ice cream.

Here's a peek (and check out the garlic web cam):

http://www.gilroygarlicfestival.com/

mrgarlic79.jpg
mrgarlic02.jpg
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mr. Garlic 1979
Bob Kraemer
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mr. Garlic 2002
Gerry Foisy (With Garlic Queen and her court)
[/FONT]​

Last edited:
Mish,
Now I've gotta go and buy an elephant! Wonder what my husband would think if I braught an alien home too!! :alien:
:LOL:

parsley or parsley seeds are a breath cleanser. they help neutralize the smell from onions and garlic, caused by the sulphur in them.
those tiny pills that kill bad breath, i forgot the name of them, are primarily parsley seed oil.

garlic is a mainstay in my house as well.

the first thing i thought of was a balboa sandwich. it's a philly cheese steak, but on buttery italian bread with a ton o' garlic.

also, i know very few people who don't like a garlicy cioppino/fruitti di mare/zuppa di pesce.
make a simple tomato sauce (thick or thin) with lotsa garlic, then toss in an assortment of fish and shellfish. clams, shrimp, squid, conch, mussels, crab, lobster, cod, tilapia, swordfish, basa, etc..

and you haven't lived as a garlic lover until you've had pizza topped with an entire head of chopped garlic (before baking, that is. the garlic toasts as it sinks into the cheese...:chef: )

buckytom said:
and you haven't lived as a garlic lover until you've had pizza topped with an entire head of chopped garlic (before baking, that is. the garlic toasts as it sinks into the cheese...:chef: )

I must live!!

I primarily eat garlic to keep away the vampires. I find this method absolutely failproof.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Garlicness

I throw 3 or 4 whole garlics on our lpg (liquid propane gas) bbq until they soften.
Then they peel easy, and are good for adding in recipes, or trimmed down for garlic chips, or I can just eat them like oranges.BURP!!!
Ive always got a few on the fly, that is , in some stage of cookedness:)(?)!

Thanks everyone for the suggestion to solve my problem... actually I heard about parsley and tried it... unfortunately didn't work for me...:wacko: I used our regular flat leaved parsley though, is it supposed to be the other kind, the dark curly leaved parsley that should do the job? Or, I know the raw garlic affects differently on different people, some lucky people, like Beth, hardly suffer from it. Maybe I am the opposite, who get the extra heavy effect..:dry: :(

Anyhoo, Cliveb/Mudbug, that savoury cheesecake recipe sounds so brilliant, so original, too!! I will save this recipe, will be a must try!! And bucky, so is your garlic pizza!!:-p

Roasted Garlic Potatoes:

I just found this one...i will definately be making this in the next few days:

1 3/4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 in cubes
3 T lemon juice
1 t olive oil
1/2 t salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
cooking spray

Preheat 425

Combine: 1st 5 ingreds in a med bowl; toss well to coat. Let stand 10 min. Spoon potato mixt. into an 11 x 7 in baking dish coated w/ cooking spray. Bake at 425 for 35 min. or until potatoes are tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.

This came from the Cooking Light Annual Recipes 1997 cookbook

Back
Top Bottom