Gas Stove Simmering Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I was just watching Americas Test Kitchen and they had a great tip that I thought some people here would benefit from hearing.

When simmering something on a gas range it is sometimes difficult to get the heat low enough. The tip was to take second grate and put it on top of the grate you are using. This raises the pan a bit further from the flame so the heat is a little less.

I don't have a gas stove, but I love America's Test Kitchens program. They have such down to earth ideas and make such wonderful food.

What a great idea. When I had a gas stove, I bought something called a flame-tamer. There are two types, one is just wire, one is a flat piece of perforated metal with a handle (easier to use). But why didn't I think of just stacking the burners? Of course this won't work if you need all of your burners. I have very unsteady hands (always have, getting worse with age) and getting that flame low enough without it blowing out and causing problems was a bear.

ah gb you're a savior !!! i always have a hard time keeping my spaghetti sauce from simmering OUTSIDE of the pot !!!

Some of the newer gas stoves come with a simmering burner. Mine has a really low BTU burner in the centre (a fifth burner). Still -- good advice!

My new home came with a gas stove and I've always used electric. Thanks for this great tip! I have this problem all the time.

I have one of those perforated metal things because if the flame was low enough to keep my spaghetti sauce at a simmer there would be a small burned on ring no matter how often I stirred. I'll have to remember the grate stacking trick because there are times I wish I had another one.

I watch that show too. Wish I had that tip before I got a new stove but I don't need it with the new stove :) , it has a simmer burner :chef:

Miles ahead of ya here, I`v been using a modified Bread rack on legs that sits above my burner to do exactly that, it`s one of my Must-Have kitchen "tools" that no-one seems to sell anywhere?

so I made my own ;)

I sometimes use my big cast iron skillet as a 'flame tamer'.

That's what I was thinking, a skillet/ griddle / flat iron pan.

I can get a simmer burner (and wok jet) for my range, I haven't really found a need for a smaller burner or using a pan, for some reason I can make rice in a 1 1/2 quart sauce pan (an old Ekco).

I've had a round cast iron disk for years to set on a burner to tame it..think I got it at Williams Sonoma..I do have simmer burner too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom