Getting Started - What Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matsko

Assistant Cook
When it comes to cooking, I always rely on my mom or a friend to make me my meal. I know it sounds pathetic, but sooner or later I am going to have to start to learn how to cook myself.

So for starting off from the complete basics, does anyone have any books that teach the art of cooking? I am not talking about some fancy cook book full or recipes - I mean something that teaches the fundamental building blocks of cooking.

Any suggestions.

Last edited:
People will have a ton of suggestions for you. My suggestion is to go to a big bookstore and gather up some cookbooks. Look at them and see if one suits your needs and fits your skill level. I STILL love a cookbook with pictures. It always helps to see what the finished product looks like and it makes it more within reach when I can see it.

Basically, all you have to do, is just pick a recipe and follow the directions. But, like I said, the book with the recipes that suit your skill level will be used the most. Before you know it you'll be altering one recipe and merging it with another and life will never be the same! :chef:

Check your local bookstore for James Peterson's "Essentials Of Cooking". It is a book filled with techniques to do just about anything. Everything from peeling veggies to making chicken stock. It may be a bit overwhelming for a complete beginner but if you use it as a reference book along with a good recipie book, it'll be a great asset. I suggest trying to bowse through it before buying to see if it seems appropriate to you.

Amazon.com: Essentials of Cooking: Books: James Peterson

Michael

I "started" on Southern Living's ultimate cookbook. Any Southern Living book is good! It is very step by step and just gets you started. For me, the dishes turned out great so it built my confidence to prepare more complicated dishes later on. I also think the books by Ina Garten, the Barefood Contessa, can show a beginner how to make a fantastic meal.

Don't forget to make use of the good old public library! They often have a good selection of cook books as well as magazines. I borrowed "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" last year - I had time to really go through it and liked it so much I bought it. Also, ask your mom to write out a few of the things that she makes that are your faves.

I second what kitchenelf says, matsco. I recently had the opportunity to review a copy of "The Taste of Home Cookbook" and was very impressed with it. It was organized very well and had wonderful photos and photo-explanations. I would definitely give it to a new bride or to someone beginning in the kitchen. See if any of your area book stores have it so you can thumb through it and get an idea of what I'm talking about.

When I have the opportunity to gift a beginning cook with their first book, my choice is always Julia Child's "the Way to Cook." It's very basic, and very patient in its instruction. She anticipates questions, and filled the book with hundreds of instructional photos so you can see the steps in a recipe.

She takes you through basic recipes step by step and then gives you suggestions for substitutions to make the same dish different next time.

All the new cooks I've given it to love it, and even years later, still find help and comfort between the covers of "The Way to Cook."

YOu should be able to check it out at your public library before you purchase... this or any other book of this type.

and good luck!~ :) There are lots of folks right here on DC who will be happy to give you the benefit of their experience. That's what we're here for!

:) The GoodHouse Keeping Illustrated CookBook is a great starter book.It has step by step illustrations and a color photo of the dishes in the front of book.Nothing in it is really complicated also shows different cuts of meat etc.

I DEFINITELY & STRONGLY second ChefJune's recommendation of Julia Child's The Way To Cook. It's a fabulous text full of basic "building block" recipes without any froufrou. My copy is virtually falling apart I use it so often, & I've been cooking for about 35 years now.

In fact, as basic as it is, Julia's recipe for Roast Goose in this book has been our Xmas dinner standard for as many years as the book has been out!! Easy, delicious, & makes you look like a "magic chef" - lol!!!

While I don't have a specific book/author to suggest I totally agree on the recommendation of going to the library. Great place to start and try a variety of books. Pick several that look good to you and start reading and experimenting. Have fun.

Petersen: Essentials of Cooking and What's a Cook to do?, Child: Way to Cook , and The Joy of Cooking

Four basics for the kitchen and will teach you the skills you need

Marginally Off Topic, but in the matter of Julia.... If you are a fan, you will love Nancy Verde Barr's new book, "Backstage with Julia." Nancy worked with Julia for years, producing her GMA segments and other demos and tv shoots. Her behind-the-scenes stories are heartwarming and delicious. :chef:

Joy is a great cookbook. I've been buying every edition since I started cooking back in the early 80's. For a new cook a basic Better Homes & Gardens or Betty Crocker are great to have as well. Lots of pics which I think is very helpful when you are starting out.

I’d suggest this book:

How to Cook Everything

It’s a great book and very thorough. You can think of it as a text book for cooks. It has 960 pages and covers everything from basic equipment and what to buy, through basic techniques such as knife skills, braising, boiling, sautéing, and of course, tons of recipes per category (beef, chicken, lamb, duck, pork, fish, bread, etc.). Basically, if it has to do with cooking, then it is in this book!

If you could only have one book, I’d suggest this one. I love it and have turned to it many times over the years.

have to agree with keltin. I knew how to cook before I bought this book, but it's got so much info presented in a laid-back style that I use it more often than I thought I would.

Betty Crocker for the very basics, Joy of Cooking for fancier stuff. I'd consider subscribing to a mag I cannot remember the name of ... Cooks? The one that is the companion to America's Test Kitchens. I like this because of its simplicity and explanations of why things work the way they do, and because they test various products to give you an idea of which products are worth the $$ and which are not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom