Gift ideas for my wife (who likes to bake)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I apologize if this is not the correct place to put this.

I'm trying to think of a few cooking related gifts for my wife. In our household I do almost all of the cooking but my wife does all the baking. She typically makes things like bread, rolls, biscuits, cake, brownies, cinnamon rolls, cookies, etc. She also decorates cakes although she's out of practice because our family can only eat so much cake.

She likes watching cake boss and most of the baking shows on cable. I saw recently that there's a Cake Boss cookbook.

She has shown some interest in powdered food coloring for making cake icing. I would have to do some research on that to make sure I'm getting the correct stuff.

What are some good gift ideas for a baker?

When I saw the topic title I already had in mind suggesting a cookbook. I've bought the companion cookbooks for many of my favorite cooking TV shows, although I'm not familiar with the show you mentioned.

Does she have one of those heavy duty mixers with dough attachment and all that? I always envy that whenever I see a cooking show doing baking, since I do all my own mixing using a spoon.

For decoration, how about a decorating set? Like the bag plus an assortment of tips for various shapes and sizes of icing decorations.

Do you have a cooling wire rack? The ones I like fit exactly into a cookie sheet. Visit a restaurant supply store for neat stuff like this.

I apologize if this is not the correct place to put this.

I'm trying to think of a few cooking related gifts for my wife. In our household I do almost all of the cooking but my wife does all the baking. She typically makes things like bread, rolls, biscuits, cake, brownies, cinnamon rolls, cookies, etc. She also decorates cakes although she's out of practice because our family can only eat so much cake.

She likes watching cake boss and most of the baking shows on cable. I saw recently that there's a Cake Boss cookbook.

She has shown some interest in powdered food coloring for making cake icing. I would have to do some research on that to make sure I'm getting the correct stuff.

What are some good gift ideas for a baker?

Totaly of topic.

Tell her that person who's been to his place told you that his cakes and all bake goods suck.

Get a nice set for decorating. Sam's club has one right one. It's cute not too much money and she can use it for her baking.

I got my SIL a turntable,big cake spatula,Cake comb,frosting stamps in scroll patterns and a cookie book. I got them off Amazon for less than 50 bucks. Some edible pearl powders or a set of dyes would be nice too.
They have some kits that were pretty good too.

I'm not a baker, but King Arthur used to have a great catalog for bakers, and either a gift box from them or a gift certificate might be nice.

Penzey's spices makes great gift boxes. All the spices for baking sweets in a box. They are higher quality than grocery store shelf stuff, and beautifully packed to boot.

Maybe get her some really high quality bakeware? Bed Bath and Beyond carries a brand called USA Pans (they also make a line for King Arthur Flour) they are really quite nice and would be a great upgrade if her pans are older or just run of the mill.

If she likes celebrity chef branded stuff, Michael's arts and crafts sells Ace of Cakes branded pans and decorating equipment. They have quite a selection.

I agree with Gourmet Greg on a high quality electric mixer and a wire cooling rack. The KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer is excellent.

More suggestions;
Good quality baking pans in various shapes and sizes, (I like Chicago Metallic professional line, which is aluminized steel), wire whisks, silicone spatulas, parchment paper, stainless steel mixing bowls...

Here are some essential baking ingredients, besides the obvious flour, sugars, etc. (I can recommend brands if you're interested):
Vanilla extract
Natural Cocoa Powder and Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
Semi-sweet, bittersweet, and unsweetened block/bar chocolate
Semi-sweet and bittersweet chocolate chips

Last edited:
I agree with Gourmet Greg on a high quality electric mixer and a wire cooling rack. The KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer is excellent.

More suggestions;
Good quality baking pans in various shapes and sizes, (I like Chicago Metallic professional line, which is aluminized steel), wire whisks, silicone spatulas, parchment paper, stainless steel mixing bowls...

Here are some essential baking ingredients, besides the obvious flour, sugars, etc. (I can recommend brands if you're interested):
Vanilla extract
Natural Cocoa Powder and Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
Semi-sweet, bittersweet, and unsweetened block/bar chocolate
Semi-sweet and bittersweet chocolate chips

I forgot to add cinnamon and nutmeg to the list!

Okay, this is a bit unusual, but I've been using this type of product for nearly 20 years and wouldn't be without it. What I'm posting is large sheets of what I have, but one could cut this product to fit any cooking/baking pan. I've done it.

The cookie sheets are the same ones I began keeping house with in 1968 and with the help of these Teflon sheets, they should last another 40+ years.

I also use them in my other baking/cake pans and have never found any fault with them.

I can't remember the company I purchased my Teflon sheets from, but these are essentially the same thing. Just cut to shape.

Another "plus" with these sheets is that you can gently slip the sheets off your cookie sheet and onto a cooling rack, not damaging the cookies at all. Then, you can cool the cookie sheet in readiness for another batch of unbaked cookies. Slip the Teflon sheet back on, drop the cookies and have at it once again.

great ideas so far. She already has a bunch of the suggested items though.

Does anyone have comments on the special, perforated and shaped pans for baking french bread and baguettes? She really enjoys making breads and has tried french bread a few times on a regular cookie sheet. This looks like it might work well for her.

Keep the suggestions coming.

My wife loves baking, if I bought her anything to do with it for a pressy she would nail my hand to the cake stand.

Haha Bolas! I was thinking the same thing. I never did like getting non-personal items for gifts from my husband, like vacuum cleaners or irons, but I have to say cooking tools are a little different if Mr Doves wife enjoys baking then it would not be drudgery to her and some cool tools would make it even more fun! Hmmmm! And perhaps the reason your wife would nail your hand to the cake stand would be because she caught you "snitching" some cake! Lol!

Last edited:
I agree with Bolas and Somebunny!

I really do not like it when people buy me things relating to my hobbies or special interests. Those areas of my life are unique to me and part of the fun of those hobbies is selecting the items I use. Also, quite honestly, well meaning people usually tend to miss the mark when selecting those presents. I always cringe when people say I got you the perfect gift or you just have to read this book.

Buy her the kind of present you would buy your girlfriend, you can't go wrong!

great ideas so far. She already has a bunch of the suggested items though.

Does anyone have comments on the special, perforated and shaped pans for baking french bread and baguettes? She really enjoys making breads and has tried french bread a few times on a regular cookie sheet. This looks like it might work well for her.

Keep the suggestions coming.
We have a few Chicago Metallic coated perforated double loaf pans. They're collecting dust because:
- Our dough seems to rise better on a non metallic surface &
- Bake better directly on a hot clay 'stone'
- Not being a dish washing machine fan, the perforated bread pans are a pain to clean.
- Removing loaves from the hot pans can be problematic.

Last edited:
I agree with Bolas and Somebunny!

I really do not like it when people buy me things relating to my hobbies or special interests. Those areas of my life are unique to me and part of the fun of those hobbies is selecting the items I use. Also, quite honestly, well meaning people usually tend to miss the mark when selecting those presents. I always cringe when people say I got you the perfect gift or you just have to read this book.

Buy her the kind of present you would buy your girlfriend, you can't go wrong!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Shrek says he'd buy his girlfriend a new mop.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom