GimmeAnother1 Food Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vanilla Sponge Cake

Vanilla Sponge Cake

ingredients: eggs, powdered sugar, all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, melted butter, vanilla extract

lessons learned: 1. smelled very eggy. did not like the smell as it turned out. wound up not eating after a couple of bites. 2. be careful your pour size versus your pan. my square pan was large and there was not much height to the cake.

Attachments

• IMG_6651.jpg
    IMG_6651.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 117
Pretzels

Pretzels

ingredients: water, yeast, brown sugar, high protein self rising all purpose flour, bread flour, baking soda, salt, melted butter

lessons learned: 1. must butter baste right away after taking out from baking in oven. 2. i put salt on after butter baste. you could sprinkle on before baking if you want also. 3. taste so good! 4. mix of flours really helped i think. 5. once u do a couple of loops of the dough it becomes easier to make the pretzel shape. 6. let do rest properly and have dough at room temp so it doesn't try to spring back to original shape when rolling. 7. when rolling don't just roll up and down; roll out as well to spread out the dough. 8. baking soda was a must before cooking. make the pretzel design and then just before putting in oven drop them in baking soda water bath and completely cover. 9. not sure how to not burn the bottom a little. i put double liner on pan and it still burned a little on bottom. not that you taste it but u can see it when you flip them over.

Attachments

• IMG_6646.jpg
    IMG_6646.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6655.jpg
    IMG_6655.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6657.jpg
    IMG_6657.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6658.jpg
    IMG_6658.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6662.jpg
    IMG_6662.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 95
Cast Iron Skillet Lasagna w/ sauteed garlic butter green beans

Cast Iron Skillet Lasagna w/ sauteed garlic butter green beans

ingredients: ground beef, sausage, egg, maggie sauce, salt, pepper, yellow onions, shallots, spinach, lasagna pasta (pre cooked/oven ready), ricotta cheese, parmesian reggiano cheese (use block and shred your own), mozzarella cheese (same use ball and shred your own), oregano, basil, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce

lessons learned: 1. cook onions in separate pan low and slow (like 4 on dial) to caramelize them. u can add them into main dish towards the end. i like to sprinkle some brown sugar on them about 30 min into cooking in small oil in pan. 2. i like premio sweet sausage for mix with 85/15 ground beef. 2.5 brown the meat first in cast iron skillet since you are doing onions in separate pan. 3. spinach will shrink quickly so add in batches. 4. u will need about 15-20 on med-hi heat to cook the lasagna pasta this way. 5. add ricotta, parmesian about 5 min towards the end. just stir in and mix. 6. add mozz at very end on top and put top on pan until it melts. then it's ready to serve. 7. from start to finish about 1 hour.

Attachments

• IMG_6664.jpg
    IMG_6664.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_6667.jpg
    IMG_6667.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6668.jpg
    IMG_6668.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6673.jpg
    IMG_6673.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6681.jpg
    IMG_6681.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6682.jpg
    IMG_6682.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6687.jpg
    IMG_6687.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
GimmeAnother1, a question here. Why don't you add the amount of each ingredient? If someone tried to make any of your recipes, the chances are they would not use the same amounts as you and the end results would be different than what you had. I would like to make some of your recipes, but I'm not very good at winging it. lol

I do love the lessons learned part. Keep up the good work. :yum:

GimmeAnother1, a question here. Why don't you add the amount of each ingredient? If someone tried to make any of your recipes, the chances are they would not use the same amounts as you and the end results would be different than what you had. I would like to make some of your recipes, but I'm not very good at winging it. lol

cookieee, it is best to ask for the individual recipes you are interested in. This way they can be posted on a thread specifically created for that recipe. When looking for a recipe on this site there are classifications, sub-categories, etc. This way anyone can find a certain recipe they are looking for.

Here GimmeAnother1 is showcasing his experiences, good and bad. It's great because it has gotten me to hunker down and dig into some recipes that are on my "been-meaning-to-try-it" list.

Cookieee - the very 1st paragraph of my post “Starting a general thread of all of the foods I am baking/cooking/etc. If anyone likes any of them and wants the recipe just reply and I will post it.”

If u like something let me know which one(s) and I will be happy to post the full recipe. :)
Thank you for perusing my thread and hopefully I am stirring up some ideas for others like yourself.

Portuguese Custard Tarts (Pasteis de Nata)

Portuguese Custard Tarts (Pasteis de Nata)

ingredients: all purpose flour, kosher salt, water, unsalted butter, sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest, milk, egg yolks, vanilla extract

lessons learned: 1. lot of work. between making the pastry dough from scratch to having to make 2 different liquid mixes and mixing it all together it took about 2 hours for a newbie like me. 2. make sure to refrigerate butter dough between folds otherwise butter tends to melt around the dough instead of fuse into it. 3. preheat oven. you need really high temp for short period of time on these. don't be afraid if they look like they are burning. it is caramelizing. 4. on liquid side you are kind of making a roux and lemon curd a little. other side of liquid side is milk and cinnamon. 5. next day or once cold you can warm up for 5-7 seconds in microwave on high but be careful as pastry outside may be only warm but egg/liquid inside center can become very hot quickly and burn your mouth. 6. i prefer them warm however a lot of people eat them cold or room temp also.

taste: delicious. flaky pastry outside with cinnamon milk inside and lemon curd. what could go wrong. i like them hot but people eat them cold/room temp also. would recommend. +++

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 92
bacon egg cheese egg mcmuffin sheet pan

bacon egg cheese egg mcmuffin sheet pan

did this one for a small brunch.

ingredients: egg, bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, egg mcmuffin

lessons learned: 1. you can just scramble eggs and bake them on baking sheet to make a pan of scrambled eggs. use sheet to flip them as need to get mcmuffin on both sides. 2. just layer each piece like a conveyor strip. did the eggs first then picked up with the baking sheet to slide mcmuffin underneath. 3. cook bacon separately and add when time. 4. slice into mcmuffin square once everything loaded on.

taste result: your basic bacon egg and cheese on mcmuffin but larger scale. eggs came out great baking on a sheet (as good as cooking in a pan)

Attachments

• IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 90
chocolate dipped macaroons

ingredients: sweetened condensed milk, almond extract, vanilla extract, sea salt, egg white, unsweetened shredded coconut flakes , melted chocolate

lessons learned: 1. must use unsweetened shredded coconut flakes. i tried 2 batches. 1 unsweetened and 1 sweetened flakes. sweetened was too much as sweetened condensed milk water plenty of sweetness. 2. watch when baking. as soon as they start turning golden brown pull them out. don't overcook but u do want some starting of burning/browning on them. 3. chocolate your can just double pot steam melt or u can try tempering (cheat method with microwave). i just did double pot steam melt since i was going to eat right away. came out fine. 4. i don't remember which chocolate i used. i think it was milk chocolate or bittersweet.

taste/result: came out great. would recommend. just don't use sweetened flakes. sweetened condensed milk more than enough sweetness.

Attachments

• IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 93

... 3. chocolate your can just double pot steam melt or u can try tempering (cheat method with microwave).

;) Melting in the microwave is called "melting in the microwave" - not "tempering".

Tempering is a more specific way of melting. It can be quite complicated and there are several steps and/or methods. Which one is correct? I don't know.

but like you, I prefer to simply melt 2/3 of the quantity of chocolate in a double boiler til 'almost' melted then stir in the last 1/3 and keep stirring til melted.

LOL, your double pot steam melt is closer to tempering than the microwave.

Thanks for the tip on the sweetened coconut vs unsweetened. I never really thought about whether or not coconut was sweetened. I guess I believed it was all sweetened. :wacko: Don't cook much with it but will start double checking now that I know. Thanks again!

Tempering in a microwave example

https://youtu.be/7MwjSUdcFI0

Yea double pan is double boiler for me. It was late last night when writing and was tired.

Defo unsweetened flakes is the way to go. Tried both batches on same group of people and they all agreed.

I find the alchemy of baking/cooking to be the most challenging (and rewarding) in my 6 months or so of cooking so far. Tempering chocolate, making a roux, emulsifying, etc. :)

Aha! I stand corrected! good video

So she is actually using their commercial chocolate that is already tempered. Now-a-days one has to read the labels carefully to find out what you have. Things change.

Thanks for the info!

Baked Wings w/ Avocado Creme Sauce

Baked Wings w/ Avocado Creme Sauce

ingredients: winglettes, rosemary, thyme, kosher salt, avocado, full fat sour cream, cumin, butter, hot sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, cornstarch, water

summary: baked wings and make a buffalo sauce, terriaki sauce, parmesian cheese and parsley sauce. basic wings are rosemary/thyme/kosher salt. avocado creme sauce instead of blue cheese.

lessons learned: 1. bake wings instead of frying. 2. after baking broil on each side (move rack to top of oven) for 5 min to crispy them. 3. 1:1 ratio of hot sauce to butter for buffalo sauce or little less butter to hot sauce than that ratio is good 4. terriaki sauce lasts a long time in fridge. 5. avocado, sour cream, and cumin in a food processor works fine to blend. 6. wash wings and dry pat them before cooking for better crisp.

result/taste: baking tastes just as good as frying if you broil at the end to crispy them up. just plain rosemary/thyme/salt are popular although i like the buffalo sauce. terriaki was easy to make and tastes good with the salty taste also. avocado creme sauce is a great taste alternative to blue cheese if so inclined.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2033.jpg
    IMG_2033.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Chocolate Babka Bread

Chocolate Babka Bread (Brioche style)

ingredients: all purpose flour, sugar, yeast, water, eggs, unsalted butter, sea salt, oil, dark chocolate, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, nutmeg

lessons learned: 1. was one of my early dough recipes so handling dough in general was a learning curve. still is smile. 2. as always let dough rest/rise appropriately.

taste/result: awesome! so good fresh out of oven and warm!! everyone who had it loved it and wanted more.

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 81
Dutch Babies (German Pancakes)

Dutch Babies (German Pancakes)

ingredients: eggs, milk, all purpose flour, vanilla extract, salt, clarified butter, powdered sugar, lemon juice

lessons learned: 1. use a cast iron skillet. start on stove and finish in the oven.

taste/result: tastes kind of like funnel cake. hit or miss with people. was trying to serve at breakfast and people felt it was more a dessert. overall i would recommend trying at least once.

Attachments

• IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 61
Meatball Parm Sliders

Meatball Parm Sliders

ingredients: ground beef, parmesian reggiano cheese, egg, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, mozzarella

lessons learned: 1. just mix by hand. trying to mix with paddle, spoons, etc. is painful at best. 2. egg helps bind ingredients.

taste/result: typical meatball parm on potato bread roll.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 67
Caramel

Caramel

ingredients: sugar, salt, water, heavy cream butter

lessons learned: 1. when adding heavy cream it will bubble up temporarily quickly. just be prepared and wait it out. 2. reheat in microwave to loosen up whenever it gets cold.

results/taste: yummy. didn't realize it was so easy to make. made to compliment my homemade ice cream.

Attachments

• IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 66
Chimichurri Sauce

Chimichurri Sauce

ingredients: olive oil, garlic, parsley, oregano, cilantro, black pepper, cumin, salt, red pepper flakes, honey

lessons learned: 1. honey for me really makes it on this version. 2. pulse not blend when combining. 3. oil is the main liquid so add as you go to get the right consistency.

taste/result: good version with the honey giving and added flavor imo. also have substituted agave and works well too.

Attachments

• IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom