GimmeAnother1 Food Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love a good stir-fry. If you have any oyster sauce, try adding a half teaspoon of that to the sauce mixture and reduce the soy sauce a little. I used to keep adding soy sauce to give it more flavor, but once I discovered oyster sauce, I started adding that. It's an umami bomb that tastes more savory and less salty to me than soy sauce. I also add a half teaspoon of chili-garlic sauce. And instead of veg oil in the sauce, I use a half teaspoon of toasted sesame oil.

1. Someone has shellfish allergies eating it so wary of using oyster sauce. I did see it in another popular recipe vid so maybe sometime will be able to try it. Or is oyster sauce not from real oyster and shellfish allergy people ok?

2. Someone has garlic allergy eating it so can’t use garlic. U will hardly ever see any of my dishes have garlic in the ingredients. :(

3. Agree on toasted sesame seed oil. At the end when I thought the soy taste was light I poured some on the rice while still in the wok and cooked a little more. I use it on the Mongolian crispy beef dish and thought maybe it would help here. Thing is I used veg oil for chicken marinade. For wok I used avocado oil. So not sure if toasted sesame oil had much affect sprinkled in at end like that...

Berry (Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry) Crumb Cake

Berry (Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry) Crumb Cake

ingredients: butter, sugar, eggs, vanillla, ap flour, baking powder, salt, milk, berries. topping - sugar, ap flour, cinnamon, butter.

lessons learned: 1. i used mix of frozen and unfrozen berries. the frozen i defrosted in microwave which gave a lot of juice. i added the juice in. you can see it in the dough of 1st pic as it is almost purple in color. not sure the affect but i have an issue i will show below. not sure if contributed. 2. my batter was still very wet after 45 @ 350degrees. not sure if the crumb on top was preventing the cooking or the juice from berries kept it too liquidy or what. i wound up cooking it about 1:15 at 350 and even then i would poke through the top and pull out mush. it dried up fine. very light and fluffy. not a lesson learned here but curious if it's supposed to be like this for a crumb cake.

results/taste: the taste was excellent. best crumb cake i've ever had. my issue is the texture. it fell apart in my hands as i held or cut a piece. the dough was extremely soft under the hard and heavy topping of the crumb and while the taste was so good holding it together was a sloppy job. i need to work on this recipe a little and tweak. has great promise though. never had a berry crumb cake like this before. great combo with milk or coffee.

wound up doing this again but this time in muffin/cupcake form. lesson learned for this method is that i need to push down the crumb topping into the batter right before cooking otherwise it doesn't stick as well and cracks off the top when pressure applied. need to push the topping down into the batter right before baking so it sticks better i think. also regular cupcake tins they tend to splooge over the sides. if i get the basket parchment paper types they can bake up into them instead of over the sides. either way so delicious :)

Attachments

• IMG_7486-2.jpg
    IMG_7486-2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7490-2.jpg
    IMG_7490-2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7491-2.jpg
    IMG_7491-2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7492.jpg
    IMG_7492.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_7493.jpg
    IMG_7493.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 104
Spaghetti with Meatballs and Sausage

ingredients: sauce - puree san marzano tomatoes, whole peeled san marzano tomatoes, tomato paste, sweet onions, bay leaves, oregano, parsley, olive oil. meatballs - 85/15 ground beef, parmesian reggiano, parsley, italian seasoning, onion, egg. sausage - premio sweet italian.

lessons learned: 1. takes a long time and a lot of work. all in all about 4 hours of constant work start to finish. 1.5 when breaking down whole peeled tomatoes remove the stems. 2. meatballs were not solid 1st batch. made them more compact for 2nd batch so they didn't break up as much. wound up breaking some of 1st batch up and using as meat sauce. use ice cream scooper to help consistent sizing. 3. brown all meat in cast iron skillet if you can. great flavor for browning. did this separate to sauce and added to sauce after cooked. 4. saute onions separate in some olive oil for 20+ min to break them down before adding to the sauce/meatballs. 5. after a couple of hours simmering feel free to add some water if sauce is reducing too much.

result/taste: Awesome! took my grandmother's recipe and slightly modified but all in all just a great sauce and meat.

added bb ribs and left out olive oil this time. also browned directly in the pot i made the sauce in as i had more time to do so. bb ribs fell off the bone and fat rendered into the sauce. tastes great. used 3 different sausages (1 type of which i made see previous posts). also went cheese ravioli this time however bought from local Italian deli that makes them; did not make my own.

Attachments

• IMG_7499.jpg
    IMG_7499.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7497.jpg
    IMG_7497.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_7496.jpg
    IMG_7496.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7495.jpg
    IMG_7495.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Steak Tacos and Rice

Steak Tacos and Rice

ingredients: steak, salt, pepper, red onions, tomato, lettuce, avocado oil, tortilla, jasmine white rice. sauce - sour cream, worcestershire sauce, maggie sauce

lessons learned: 1. learned to cut protein into thin strips. in my case i froze the meat a bit so firmer to handle when cutting into thin strips. also i have seen 45 degree angle cuts to help keep the strips thin. 2. first time making the sour cream/steak sauce combo. 3. red onions perfect for this dish. 4. dish comes together quick so prep is key.

results taste: strips worked out well. sometimes i can see using strips and sometimes i would prefer thicker pieces. both have their place i think. sour cream steak sauce combo i liked but for some did not catch on.

Attachments

• IMG_7503.jpg
    IMG_7503.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_7508.jpg
    IMG_7508.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 120
Pan Sobao (Puerto Rican Bread)

Pan Sobao (Puerto Rican Bread)

ingredients: warm water, yeast, sugar, lard/shortening, ap flour, salt

lessons learned: 1. i didn't make a full poolish but let the dough first rise overnight in fridge. 2. never worked with lard/shortening before. this recipe had me microwave it in water which i did. not sure if the consistency changed much. have to research this more. 3. first time using the 'modified' straight dough method (yeast + water, mix in fat and sugar, then add flour and mix). 4. learning that with doughs and breads rise time is probably the most important thing behind not killing the yeast with salt. 5. learned a fold, tuck, and pinch method of shoehorning the rolled dough on the bottom to make a single connected loaf and not split on the bottom (you can see i split the top one on the left bottom side a little. the other came out good. even that one didn't split much but lesson learned.). basically fitting the seam after rolling so no splits on the bottom of the bread. also learned a pinch and fold method for ends of bread. 6. this bread type is very light and fluffy however as a result it can harden quickly. usually only lasts 2-3 days. 7. didn't have a bread cutter so just used a regular knife to mark. have to research more the affect of this as well as slicing angles for best result.

results/taste: came out very close to ones you will find in Panaderias in PR. some liked it better even.

Attachments

• IMG_7541.jpg
    IMG_7541.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_7542.jpg
    IMG_7542.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7543.jpg
    IMG_7543.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_7544.jpg
    IMG_7544.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Deli Style Macaroni Salad

Deli Style Macaroni Salad

ingredients: elbow macaroni, mayo, white sugar, white vinegar, dijon mustard, kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, hot Hungarian paprika, green onions, diced celery, red pepper, green pepper, carrot

lessons learned: like a lot of foods taste as u go. for this type of food let it sit awhile and combine well for tasting as well. for instance i put in cayenne and mixed but tasted right away. not tasting any heat. kept putting in. later on when mixed and settled it was a bit hot. i liked it but people did notice the heat. i did not notice on initial tasting when i put it in however.

tastes/results: tasted just like the deli style. came out well. a bit on the hot side but overall just like a real deli style. everyone enjoyed it.

Attachments

• IMG_7550.jpg
    IMG_7550.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7552.jpg
    IMG_7552.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 67
Baked Ziti

Baked Ziti

ingredients: ziti, spaghetti sauce, fresh mozzarella, low moisture mozzarella, whole milk ricotta, parmigiano reggiano, salt, olive oil, ground beef, sausage

lessons learned: use 2 different cheese types for different levels and textures of cheese. regular mozz for melty/gooey and low moisture for that pully/stringy type. cut cheese into blocks instead of shredding for internal. top layer can be shredded. cook pasta halfway through in hot water and the rest to bake. mix extra sauce in as pasta will soak up the rest for the rest of cooking. use olive oil drizzle around top outside for extra browning/crusty edges.

results/taste: came out good. had to make a lot since i used a large lasagna pan. u can reheat but this is best fresh imo. u can never have enough cheese with this dish smile. i got sloppy and forgot the parmesiano reggiano until last couple of minutes so sprinkled on top. did not get enough time to melt but taste was fine. didn't use shredded at all on top. think i will next time to spread the top layer better.

Attachments

• IMG_7586.jpg
    IMG_7586.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7592.jpg
    IMG_7592.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7602.jpg
    IMG_7602.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7607.jpg
    IMG_7607.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Baked Ziti

ingredients: ziti, spaghetti sauce, fresh mozzarella, low moisture mozzarella, whole milk ricotta, parmigiano reggiano, salt, olive oil, ground beef, sausage

lessons learned: use 2 different cheese types for different levels and textures of cheese. regular mozz for melty/gooey and low moisture for that pully/stringy type. cut cheese into blocks instead of shredding for internal. top layer can be shredded. cook pasta halfway through in hot water and the rest to bake. mix extra sauce in as pasta will soak up the rest for the rest of cooking. use olive oil drizzle around top outside for extra browning/crusty edges.

results/taste: came out good. had to make a lot since i used a large lasagna pan. u can reheat but this is best fresh imo. u can never have enough cheese with this dish smile. i got sloppy and forgot the parmesiano reggiano until last couple of minutes so sprinkled on top. did not get enough time to melt but taste was fine. didn't use shredded at all on top. think i will next time to spread the top layer better.
That is the perfect comfort food!!

That is the perfect comfort food!!

can't go wrong with a nice baked ziti right! also some good Italian bread and butter to go along with it never hurt. i have a bread place by me that makes a double seeded semolina that is to die for. that with butter and i won't even make it to the baked ziti :)

German Beef Rouladen (beef with pickles)

German Beef Rouladen (beef with pickles)

ingredients: thin sliced beef, onion, bacon, marjoram, kosher salt, pepper, spicy deli mustard (like one with horseradish in it), dill pickles, carrots, celery, tomato sauce, beef stock, cooking oil, water, cornstarch, (red wine optional)

lessons learned: just general stuff with browning. the meat is thin and sears quickly. toothpicks to hold the rolled up meat together. i used 2 on each piece. bacon was hit or miss. traditionally as a kid i did not have bacon in mine and some commented about it this time. bacon always changes the flavor pallet significantly imo on a dish. u can leave it out if u want. basically braise after browning in the beef stock and vegetables. when done strain out the vegetables and thicken up the sauce with cornstarch slurry. serve with the sauce. usually served with potatoes as a side although we like string beans also for side and prefer mash potatoes.

results/taste: always loved this dish. came out great. again for some bacon is hit or miss. other than that i would highly recommend. great dish if you like pickles.

Attachments

• IMG_7610.jpg
    IMG_7610.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7612.jpg
    IMG_7612.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7613.jpg
    IMG_7613.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7615.jpg
    IMG_7615.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7618.jpg
    IMG_7618.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_7619.jpg
    IMG_7619.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7621.jpg
    IMG_7621.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7627.jpg
    IMG_7627.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7628.jpg
    IMG_7628.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
wound up doing this again but this time in muffin/cupcake form. lesson learned for this method is that i need to push down the crumb topping into the batter right before cooking otherwise it doesn't stick as well and cracks off the top when pressure applied. need to push the topping down into the batter right before baking so it sticks better i think. also regular cupcake tins they tend to splooge over the sides. if i get the basket parchment paper types they can bake up into them instead of over the sides. either way so delicious :)

To give the crumb cake a more cohesive texture, you will need to add 1 large egg for ever cup of flour.

If making in muffin tins, papers reduce cleanup chores. In any case, the papers, or tins, should not be filled more than 2/3rds to 3/4rs full. To get the cake to bake properly, you need to butter, then flour the cake pan bottom and sides. And the batter should be thick, with a little less water in the batter, as the berries will release more water into the batter as the cake bakes. Use 2/3's cup of water for every cup of flour. also, to keep the Cake/muffins moist, add 3 tbs. melted butter, or cooking oil to the batter for every cup of flour.

Another winning idea is to blend the berries into a puree, and add sugar to make 1 cup of berry puree. Add apple juice to make two cups of berry mix. Pour this into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add 2 packets of KNox unflavored gelatin to the berry mix. When the cake is done, poke holed all over it and drizzle the hot berry mix all over the top. Chill in the fridge for at least two hours to set the gelatin into the cake. It comes out moist and delicious with great berry flavor.

Seeeeeya; Cief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Chicken Chow Mein

Chicken Chow Mein

ingredients: boneless chicken breast, soy sauce, baking soda, black pepper, ginger, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, chow mein noodles, carrots, celery, red cabbage, shredded salad, homemade hoisin sauce.

lessons learned: similar to most dishes in a wok ingredients put in as groups (protein, veggies, noodles, etc.).

results/taste: came out good. very enjoyable dish. would make again.

Attachments

• IMG_8923.jpg
    IMG_8923.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8931.jpg
    IMG_8931.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 59
Bizcocho de Novia

Bizcocho de Novia (bridal cake). Popular Puerto Rican cake in delis across PR.

ingredients: cake: unsalted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, evaporated milk, self rising flour. frosting: crisco, butter, vanilla extract, confectioner sugar 10-x.

lessons learned: 1st time baking with crisco. holds the frosting well this way. 1st time baking cake with evaporated milk as well. used self rising flour instead of cake flour in this case. not sure why yet. have to research this more. the edges brown and need to be cut off. best to do this after frosting for a cleaner cut and final look. used egg whites to whip with a fold in for rising instead of baking powder/soda.

results: 80% there to the real thing. find butter based frosting are finicky and hard to get consistent results with room temp butter. bread is a bit lighter than a pound cake.

Attachments

• IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3293.jpg
    IMG_3293.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3299.jpg
    IMG_3299.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 21
Zeppole

Zeppole

ingredients: flour, yeast, salt, sugar, water. confectioner sugar 10-x for dusting.

lessons learned: can use a spoon or your hand to scoop portions out from side of bowl and put into the fryer. slides off hand/spoon as glop and as it fries it puffs up into full shape. dough should be loose enough to slide off your spoon into the fryer. very loose dough.

results/taste: went very basic here (didn't add olive oil, extracts, shavings, etc.). came out great. wound up making a few batches they went so quick. :)

Chicken Chow Mein

ingredients: boneless chicken breast, soy sauce, baking soda, black pepper, ginger, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, chow mein noodles, carrots, celery, red cabbage, shredded salad, homemade hoisin sauce.

lessons learned: similar to most dishes in a wok ingredients put in as groups (protein, veggies, noodles, etc.).

results/taste: came out good. very enjoyable dish. would make again.

Chow means fried. Lo means boiled. Without noodles, the American/Chinese creation is called sukiyaki. With crispy noodles added, it becomes Chow Mein. With soft noodles, it's Lo Mein.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Portuguese Style Chicken

Portuguese Style Chicken

ingredients: chicken breasts, smoked/sweet paprika, cumin, ground coriander, oregano, onion powder, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, chili powder, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper

lessons learned: did a 24 hour marinade. cut slits on the chicken breast pieces after cut up for marinade to seep into better. can roast red peppers and slice them up to add in when cooking the chicken but forgot to this time.

results/taste: taste was great. marinade always helps layer the flavors in. very tasty.

Portuguese Style Rice

Portuguese Style Rice

ingredients: long grain white rice, turmeric, cumin, ground anise seed, onion, red pepper, olive oil, chicken broth, peas, salt

lessons learned: rice was a bit mushy. need to work on water to rice ratio. turmeric is mostly the yellow coloring you see. don't mix stir rice often. once or twice during a cook is fine.

results/taste: as said above a bit mushy but that was my fault. taste was good. would recommend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom