Gluggy risotto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timtams74

Assistant Cook
New to this site so not sure I have even posted in right place but every time I make Risotto it tends to be quite thick and gluggy.... Why could this be? :chef:

Probably overcooking it, or adding some flavoring ingredients too soon. I thought my risotto was all wrong because the rice grains were, to my taste, too firm in the middle. Then I went to Slovenia. The part of Slovenia that borders on Italy has food anyone would call Italian. I realized that the grains are supposed to be a little firm in the middle. I was adding more liquid to try to get the entire rice grain soft and turning it into mush.

Cheese, in particular, can make it turn "gloppy" and should only be added at the last minute. too much cheese, especially added too soon, can result in a mess.

Another thing is to have your stock/water/broth HOT and on a back burner. If you add the liquid cold or even room temperature, it doesn't work as well.

By the way, when I first moved here I could not buy the rice meant for risotto. So I learned to make it with Cal-Rose short grain rice, and it turns out fine. But if you're trying with a long-grain rice, the ends of the rice will disentigrate and again, you'll wind up with a starchy mess.

I also sopke to a friend and she suggested washing the rice more before cooking...

You should never wash rice for risotto. You wash rice to remove excess starch. With risotto you actually want all that starch.

wow... thanks for that!! I really had no idea so wont be washing the rice then!!! cheers

This may sound crazy, but I've ground up about 3 tablespoons of rice in a coffee mill and mixed it in with the cheese at the end to help keep a smooth consistancy. Seems to work great.

This may sound crazy, but I've ground up about 3 tablespoons of rice in a coffee mill and mixed it in with the cheese at the end to help keep a smooth consistancy. Seems to work great.

Did you start doing this because the consistency was a problem?

Back
Top Bottom