Gotta Have Sole (Cat Food!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
1/2 lb. sole fillets (or other mild white fish)
2 Tbs. chopped parsley
1/4 c. water (as needed)
1 Tbs. butter or margarine
1 Tbs. flour
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 c. cooked rice

Place fish in a small lightly greased baking dish. Sprinkle with parsley. Add enough water to lightly poach the fish; cover and place in a 450F oven for about 10 minutes. Cool, then flake the fish with a fork.

Melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add the flaked fish. Mix together with the cooked rice and stir well. Cool. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.

You won't believe this is actually cat food :)

Fraidy

This does sound good!! I think it would be a fight over who (cats, dogs or humans) in my house would get to eat this!!!!

Sole is a tad expensive... I get the feeling this was created when it was still an inexpensive fish. I don't even buy sole for myself these days. Heck, even catfish is pricy and they farm it around here! :mad: Makes no sense. Oh, some versions of this "cat food" have liver added. I'm thinking cats would like that... maybe chicken liver?

I've been buying tilapia of late; it's still inexpensive and tastes great. I'd probably use tilapia for this. Unfortunately, my cat Persia is on a very strict prescription diet (Hill's x/d) to prevent crystalline oxolate formations in her bladder. She had very expensive ($900) surgery to remove bladder stones (and while in there they found a tumor) back in 2004; not an experience either one of us wishes to repeat, I'm sure.

I sure do wish I could treat her with something like this! But the vet says nope. Poor girl.

Fraidy

Not even a tiny, tiny taste? Poor Darlin, just not fair, huh? I have a tomcat that had that problem (2 times in '98), he is an outside kitty now and has not had a relapse for many years; our vet told us that he would do much better being outside and she was right. He is doing great on the same food and treats all the others eat.

Don't think it would be healthy for Buck or me to prepare this. We'd probably be trampled by our feline children trying to get to it. It would never make it to the refrigerator. Sounds good, though.

However, I have to admit I DO cook for our outdoor kitties. I have about a 2-quart saucepan with lid that lives in the refrigerator. Got it at a yard sale for 25 cents. In it goes all meat/poultry/fish scraps, all liquids from drained veggies, spooned off grease and fats from cooking, etc. When I buy beef or chicken, all the trimmings go into the pot, along with bones from cooked chicken, etc. Initially, I boil all this "swill," as Buck calls it. I spoon it over the kitties' evening food and add scraps to the pot, etc. as we accumulate them. It really looks gross sometimes but they eat it like it's a feline gourmet treat.

Many times there will be chunks of potatoes, onions, carrots from the dregs of leftovers that needed to be used. Those get eaten, too. So far, there's been little they haven't eaten.

We fed many outdoor cats in Egypt and learned that they LOVED asparagus---so instead of throwing out the fibrous ends of asparagus that would have gone in the garbage they went into their "swill" (great word, Katie E!!). We also added lentils (cheap!!!!!) to their swill along with all the rest of the stuff you have mentioned. They thought they were in heaven!!!!

Shunka said:
Not even a tiny, tiny taste? Poor Darlin, just not fair, huh? I have a tomcat that had that problem (2 times in '98), he is an outside kitty now and has not had a relapse for many years; our vet told us that he would do much better being outside and she was right. He is doing great on the same food and treats all the others eat.
Outside is not an option for Persia. She was abandoned outside but front declawed! She couldn't defend herself if need be :ohmy:

I also live on a rather busy street-corner. People turn onto my street driving like bats outta ****. Sadly, I've seen more than one dead kitty laying by the side of the road. This is not an area where one should let pets run loose.

The vet says not to give Persia treats. And it's not out of greed, either, considering at the end of 2005 I won a year of free food from Hill's Science Diet. The vet honored the coupons, all I had to pay was the sales tax. I basically didn't have to pay for any of her food all last year. That surely did help since the Hill's x/d isn't exactly cheap.

Fraidy

Fraidy, I completely understand what you mean about Persia. Poor Darlin for someone to dump her like that!!!!! I hope the people that did that are getting theirs!! Our first calico, Callie Ann, had been dumped in the middle of a very hard winter (thank goodness she found her way to our wood shed!) and she had been totally declawed. What were those people thinking of?!!!! Give Persia extra hugs for me!!! I know they like those as treats too!!

I have to buy that Hill's cat food too. It's $12 for a 4lb bag. I have two cats and only one needs this food. You know how cats eat so I don't know how to feed them separately. So they are both dining on the Hill's cat food.
This crystalline oxolate formations health issue is a very serious issue for cats. My Mr. Kitty was hours away from surgery. Well, the vet said if I can't unblock it, he'll have surgery. Thankfully the vet unblocked and Mr. Kitty came home with some antibotics. That was about 4 months ago. He's 1 1/2 years old.
Before that, he mostly ate dry cat food like Friskies.

StirBlue said:
I have to buy that Hill's cat food too. It's $12 for a 4lb bag. I have two cats and only one needs this food. You know how cats eat so I don't know how to feed them separately. So they are both dining on the Hill's cat food.
This crystalline oxolate formations health issue is a very serious issue for cats. My Mr. Kitty was hours away from surgery. Well, the vet said if I can't unblock it, he'll have surgery. Thankfully the vet unblocked and Mr. Kitty came home with some antibotics. That was about 4 months ago. He's 1 1/2 years old.
Before that, he mostly ate dry cat food like Friskies.
The shame of it is, the free food coupons from Hill's were good for up to a 28 lb. bag and the largest they sell of the x/d formula is the 4 lb. bag. Darn, could have stocked up and made that food stretch a LONNNNG way otherwise!

Persia kept getting bladder infections. I was away on a trip when the vet called and asked if he could get my permission to do an x-ray since it was her third bladder infection in a year and he was concerned. I said okay. He called me back and said it appeared she had bladder stones and they needed to do surgery. I felt terrible not being there but he said they'd have to keep her a few days anyway so it was just as well I wasn't sitting at home worrying about her. While they were in there they discovered and excised a tumor. When I got home and picked her up, the poor girl was horribly embarrassed by her shaved belly. :ermm: I swear, sometimes I think cats are more vain than any woman I've ever met! (including myself and I'm pretty vain)

Bladder Surgery pictures from cats photos on webshots

She hasn't had any problems since the surgery but I don't get to give her treats :( But, she loves that x/d formula so much the vet had to put her on a diet! She gets 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening. And she's still "fluffy" (euphamism for fat!) Even on her "diet" she still weighs 15 lbs. :LOL:

Fraidy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom