Goulash recipe bombed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the brand I use. I have both Sweet and Hot.

View attachment 50731

I have McCormick smoked paprika but rarely use it except for a finishing sprinkle occasionally on a seared steak.

That's the brand I use too. I had to check, because the tins I have look a little different. I haven't been able to find the hot one here for a while.

So Gulyás (Goulash) is a Hungarian dish adopted by Austria (during the Austro-Hungarian Empire) and served with abundant quantities of paprika - a chile pepper brought over from the New World in the 16th century.
Authentic Hungarian paprika is either sweet or hot. Never smoked.
Austrian goulash is different, I suppose, adapted to Austrian tastes.

Spoken like a true Hungarian!

I prefer the Austrian version, mainly because it is served with Spätzle. Egg noodles are so passé.

Last edited:
That's the brand I use too. I had to check, because the tins I have look a little different. I haven't been able to find the hot one here for a while.
I ordered one of each from Amazon this last time. I use them both in my house blend all-purpose seasoning.

Last edited:
Noodles, spaetzle, spaghetti, kluski... love them all! They're like children - you can't have a favorite.

Well, you can have a favorite kid, but that's a completely different discussion. [emoji1]

Hard to judge what went wrong without tasting. But I for would not have used smoked paprika. Simply because I don’t like it. I use a lot of Hungarian or Spanish paprika but never smoked.

Back
Top Bottom