Goulash recipe bombed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
it came out tasting like crap and I went exactly according to the recipe except using smoked paprika instead of paprika. I can't figure out what happened.

The recipe called for 2 teaspoons but I either put in less or if I read it as tablespoons I put in too much. Why? Does it sound like a problem with the paprika?
i think it's the paprika.

You need to use really good, fresh, sweet Hungarian paprika. Smoked paprika isn't the same.
I've made both Kenji's (Serious Eats) & the Cooks Illustrated versions, and they use a LOT of paprika; for example, Kenji calls for a half cup of good quality Hungarian paprika.
https://www.seriouseats.com/hungarian-goulash-beef-paprika-stew-recipe-food-lab

Last edited:
The recipe called for 2 teaspoons but I either put in less or if I read it as tablespoons I put in too much. Why? Does it sound like a problem with the paprika?

I haven't had goulash in 40 + years , so not sure how much weight my reply carries.
I know in many cases goulash is heavily based on the paprika. I love smoked paprika and use it all the time, but it has a significantly different flavor than regular paprika. Since thats the only thing you changed, in addition two its intense flavor, I'd have to guess thats the issue. I could be wrong.

Did it taste too smokey?

If you post the recipe that you used, we might be able to find places where things can go wrong.

There are two styles of original goulash; Austrian and Hungarian. Both countries claim theirs is the original. American goulash is just glorified beefaroni!

If you want a really good authentic Austrian goulash, Wolfgang Puck's recipe is excellent.

Although I haven't eaten meat in about 35 years, I do remember my grandmother making Hungarian Goulash, served over egg noodles and a Batampte pickle on the side. And for dessert, a frozen snickers bar.

I wasnt a huge fan of the meat itself ( although my grandmother would guilt me on how much it cost from the Kosher butcher, and how she creeped to the store then dragged it back ....), but the general taste served over the noodles was great.

We've all been there. I keep my garbage can well fed from failed attempts. Don't know til you try.

Not every recipe I think is going to be good makes it into my " Keeped Recipe File". Its probably more like a 1 /10 ratio.

So Gulyás (Goulash) is a Hungarian dish adopted by Austria (during the Austro-Hungarian Empire) and served with abundant quantities of paprika - a chile pepper brought over from the New World in the 16th century.
Authentic Hungarian paprika is either sweet or hot. Never smoked.
Austrian goulash is different, I suppose, adapted to Austrian tastes.

This is the brand I use. I have both Sweet and Hot.

paprika.jpg

I have McCormick smoked paprika but rarely use it except for a finishing sprinkle occasionally on a seared steak.

I am going to compare Austrian and Hungarian recipes and see which one I like. Which one is easiest?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom