Gourmet salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hipgrncln

Assistant Cook
I use the coarse gourmet salt for most of my cooking. After living with very bland meats etc for part of my life I am thrilled to have items that are flavorful. HOWEVER lately my foods have tasted really salty. Sometimes I combine garlic and salt on a roast (last night) and although it was flavorful it was also very salty. Can someone tell me why a pinch of this salt would seem to be TOO MUCH !!!!!

Bob J

Sorry, I have no idea..have never used "gourmet salt" someone will come along i'm sure :)

I don't think i have ever seen it available either lol :)

I use the coarse gourmet salt for most of my cooking. After living with very bland meats etc for part of my life I am thrilled to have items that are flavorful. HOWEVER lately my foods have tasted really salty. Sometimes I combine garlic and salt on a roast (last night) and although it was flavorful it was also very salty. Can someone tell me why a pinch of this salt would seem to be TOO MUCH !!!!!

Bob J

What exactly is "coarse gourmet salt?"

Kosher salt? Sea salt?

All salt is equally salty, but in general salts like kosher and sea have crystals that are larger than table salt's, so you actually have less salt in a "pinch" if you use them.

I normally use sea salt in my cooking and I haven't noticed any difference in the saltiness of it when compared to normal table salt.

An ounce of one pure salt is as salty as an ounce of another pure salt - but a tablespoon of one salt does not weigh the same as a tablespoon of another salt - so a pinch of one could be more salt than a pinch of another ... it depends on the size and shape of the salt "crystals". For example: 1 cup Table salt = 1.5 cups Morton Kosher salt = 2 cups Diamond Crystal Kosher salt. Sea salts are a little tougher because they can not only be different in structure but also contain various amouts of minerals and other "materials" (such as clay or ground volcanic rock) in addition to the salt.

Have you recently changed salts?

Now, about your roast .... when you say you used garlic and salt - did you possibly use garlic salt or garlic powder as opposed to fresh garlic?

If your food is too salty I'm afraid the only logical answer is that you are using too much salt in one way or another.

Thanks for that link, kleenex! That is one I was looking for ...

But - I have to admit ... I'm still chuckling over the idea of "organic" sea salt!

There is a difference in some sea salts. You have French grey, and Mediterranean, etc. Although the differences may be very subtle. I do use sea salt, generally it is not as strong as refined salt(shake to shake). I use the course straight and in a grinder for finer applications.

If your stuff is too salty.....you are using too much salt..... :chef:

Could be what you are starting with has had a change in the salt content. ALWAYS taste before adding salt....

I mostly use gray salt these days. There *is* a difference between it and normal salts in terms of flavor. Although I still keep my box of kosher salt handy.

it could also be that your taste buds have changed and become more sinceable to the taste of salt. Your taste buds will change about every 7 years. That is why people didn't like something at one point and now decide to try it and like it later in life.

I find that the coarse sea salt I use for cooking is saltier than the fine sea salt so have to be a little careful and not pur away with abandon!
The coarse one is made by the process of evaporation from water obtained from the Mediterranean sea. Are some oceans and seas saltier than others?

Yes some oceans and seas are saltier than others, but salt is salt. One is not more salty then the other. The difference is the shape and size of the crystals and how they dissolve on your tongue which can affect your perception of how salty they may taste.

Back
Top Bottom