Green Bean Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you make/serve Green Bean Casserole?

• YES! We love this dish!

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • NO! Can't stand it!

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Yes. I don't like it, but make it for others.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care one way or the other

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
I love Green Bean Casserole but normally when it's made for special holidays whoever makes it uses Mushroom soup and I absolutely DESPISE Mushrooms. Does anyone else have a recipe that using something else other than that?

You could follow the original recipe and use any of Campbell's creamed soups. The people in my family that rave about it are more interested in the French's onion rings than anything else so it is always made in shallow baking dish to give as much surface area as possible. It has a cult following in my family along with the wack'em on the counter crescent rolls. In my family I think it has more to do with subliminal advertising than tradition.:LOL:

I love Green Bean Casserole but normally when it's made for special holidays whoever makes it uses Mushroom soup and I absolutely DESPISE Mushrooms. Does anyone else have a recipe that using something else other than that?

Although I've never tried it, I'm thinking that Cream of Celery might go well if you still want the ease of a canned soup.

I love mushrooms of all kinds, and I think that making any sort of cream sauce with mixed wild mushrooms would be incredible. Saute the mushrooms in butter and garlic, deglaze with white wine, reduce and then cream it up. Makes my mouth water just typing this. ;)

I love it, but have updated it to use all fresh ingredients. No more mushroom soup!

Would love to see your recipe Steve. My family loves it so I make it several times a year. I like to use the golden mushroom soup to change it up on occasion too. I use the French style green beans too.

RockLobster--missed you--what's going on? I got a smoker...don't quite know what to do with it--my cousins sent me a bunch of recipes/methods for smoking pheasant, venison, and lake trout...thinking the method for smoking pheasant could work with a turkey...

Nope, no cream.....the goodly amount of cheese makes it "soft"....especially if you use some velveeta or cheeze whiz....and the longer it bakes, uncovered, it will become crispier.

Nice. It sounds really good.

If you're ever in St. Augustine, Florida, there is a place called "Schooner's" on US1-North, that always has homemade casseroles for a couple of their sides.

Their green-bean casserole is made with a thick, creamy white sauce, mixed with fresh mushrooms and an Italian style blend of bread crumbs to thicken it.

It's so good that it would be great as a meal in itself!

Their broccoli casserole is just as good!
I don't make the green bean casserole either. I like simple vegetables - fresh, but simple. Certainly with all the rich food at Thanksgiving, the casserole seems like overkill for me. Each year I try to keep the menu simple Thanksgiving, but usually someone decides to throw in a few surprises that are quite rich. We have Thanksgiving at the farm and have about 50 people usually.

Schooner's is one of those restaurants that are well known and loved by the locals. Awesome food!:chef:
Thanks for mentioning this restaurant. We may go there if we can ever get my sister and bil away from O'Steens. They travel a couple of hundred miles each way to go there. I like the food, but would like other places some time. My mom and dad always enjoyed the Columbia's food.

Last edited:
licia said:
Thanks for mentioning this restaurant. We may go there if we can ever get my sister and bil away from O'Steens. They travel a couple of hundred miles each way to go there. I like the food, but would like other places some time. My mom and dad always enjoyed the Columbia's food.

There's a Schooner's in Key West, an old parrothead bar, are they related? Loved the place.

my family wants, loves and eats every speck. each year i make more and every year it is all gone. no cheese in mine. i like it but only at thanksgiving because of all the salt.

I've gone past O'Steens so many times! I've never tried it, but will now. As you undoubtedly know, St. Augustine has a multitude of restaurants.

The hardest part of going to Schooner's is choosing which of their fabulous meals to have and having room in you to put it all. :pig:

Wednesday night is Schooner's "Fried Chicken Night", and they have the best fried chicken in North Florida. Weird thing to say about a seafood restaurant, but fact. I guess they're ocean-going chickens....:ROFLMAO:

You could follow the original recipe and use any of Campbell's creamed soups. The people in my family that rave about it are more interested in the French's onion rings than anything else so it is always made in shallow baking dish to give as much surface area as possible. It has a cult following in my family along with the wack'em on the counter crescent rolls. In my family I think it has more to do with subliminal advertising than tradition.:LOL:

Same here. I only make it once a year so why not go with the traditional recipe. We also have the wack'em crescent rolls too. It's just not Thanksgiving with out em.

DaveSoMD said:
Same here. I only make it once a year so why not go with the traditional recipe. We also have the wack'em crescent rolls too. It's just not Thanksgiving with out em.

We call them whop'ems here. Must be a regional thing.

No offence taken Steve.....I don't even know why I mentioned Velveeta....I haven't had it in the house in years, but I definitely do use Cheeze Whiz sometimes

I have only had it once made by someone who brought it to my house and I made it once by following the recipe on the Campbell's site. Neither time was there any cheese involved.

Classic Green Bean Casserole (click)

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or Healthy Request®)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Dash ground black pepper
4 cups cooked cut green beans

1 1/3 cups French's® French Fried Onions
  • Stir the soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and 2/3 cup onions in a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
  • Bake at 350°F. for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the bean mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining onions.
  • Bake for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.

Would love to see your recipe Steve. My family loves it so I make it several times a year. I like to use the golden mushroom soup to change it up on occasion too. I use the French style green beans too.
I don't use an actual recipe, I kind of make it up as I go. But, it's very similar to this one:

Philly Green Bean Casserole - Kayti OHanen's Recipes

The one thing I do different is using whole cream, rather than milk (yeah, lots of calories but it is, after all, a once-a-year holiday dish). And I use Panko bread crumbs on top, because they add a nice crunch.

I cook almost everything from scratch, but I do occasionally use canned cream soups in recipes, especially when I need to put something together quickly or when I'm tired of listening to my kids complain about what I cook. They almost never like the stuff that has complex flavors and requires a lot of prep time. They'd much rather have processed stuff like recipes made with cream soups so I do humor them sometimes and don't really mind the flavor.

So I don't have anything fundamentally against cream soups and I do like the green bean casserole. I don't love it, but it says "Thanksgiving" to me since my mom almost always brings it to our Thanksgiving dinner.

i never really liked it when one of my family brought it as their thanksgiving dish, so i just never made room for it on my plate. if no one notices, no one's feelings get hurt. :) there were so many other things to eat that a little deception was easy.

but thankfully, my eldest sister started making a dish with steamed fresh stringbeans, fresh savory, s&p, and a drizzle of very good evoo. it's delicious and good for you!

I like Green Bean Casserole

I like Green Bean Casserole, and I like mushrooms, some cream of mushroom doesn't bother me. That said, GBC can get mushy - It definitely needs some crunch or some texture (probably why I like those french fried onions). I've never made it, but it looks pretty easy. I wouldn't mind adding some sauteed onions and mushrooms. Maybe even green onions if not sauteed onions.

If I wanted to add cheese, maybe parm/romano, or even pepperjack for some kick...

The gears in my brain are turning...

Back
Top Bottom