Green Split Peas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
While shopping at a farm store recently, I grabbed a bag of green split peas. I used some of them to make a big pot of soup last week and have about 2 pounds left.

What can you use GSP for besides soup and pie weights?

You can mix them with other legumes and make minestrone.

Maybe try cooking them with coconut oil, chicken or vegetable stock and Indian seasonings and use the result as a bed or side for a main dish, like roasted lamb beef.

You can mix them with other legumes and make minestrone.

Maybe try cooking them with coconut oil, chicken or vegetable stock and Indian seasonings and use the result as a bed or side for a main dish, like roasted lamb beef.

Good idea, thanks.

I've been wanting a pot of split pea soup since this pandemic started. Our grocery has been out of all dried legumes for all these weeks until yesterday when SC finally found ONE package of split peas on the shelf. SPS must be a comfort for many people besides me. I have a small ham hock in the freezer and a jar of Better Than Bullion..ham flavor so I'm set for some soup as soon as the weather is gloomy again.
Sorry, I've no ideas for other uses for split peas, I was just excited to see the subject line.

Kayelle, we love split pea soup and my daughter gave me a ham bone from Easter dinner. It was an easy choice and we have quite a bit of it in the freezer. Now I have to figure out what to do with the remaining peas. I know I can keep them forever but what fun is that?

Split peas can be used to make a fritter similar to falafel.

If you punch it into google and look at images you will some that look tasty and some that don't.

Kayelle, we love split pea soup and my daughter gave me a ham bone from Easter dinner. It was an easy choice and we have quite a bit of it in the freezer. Now I have to figure out what to do with the remaining peas. I know I can keep them forever but what fun is that?

Actually, I'm here to tell you that you can't keep them forever Andy. :(
I also really like SPS but a couple times I used peas that were too old, and they never did soften up. :blink: Some packages have a use by date, but this new bag doesn't. I'll label it with date of purchase, and use them within a year.

Andy, Since you are into Indian food, you could make one of the dishes calling for moong dal or masoor dal, which also cook down like split green peas. Maybe one of the dishes made with spinach, or another green, so the color doesn't really matter.

Andy, Since you are into Indian food, you could make one of the dishes calling for moong dal or masoor dal, which also cook down like split green peas. Maybe one of the dishes made with spinach, or another green, so the color doesn't really matter.

There are recipes for green Matar Dal. I may try one of those.

Back
Top Bottom