Grilling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grilling

• lid on

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • lid of

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Reading "chicken on the grill" thead made me think od the poll. How do you frill, or what do you prefer lid on or not. I know it is not always yes or no, but I'm sure you have a preference.

For me it depends on what I am trying to achieve. Steaks and such that are direct high heat I generally do with the lid open. Indirect grilling I usually do with it close and for BBQ you better not peek in there.

lid on here too when possible. besides the increased and even heating, it helps hold the smoke around the food for a bit longer.

however, my backpacking grill is exactly just that, a small grill with legs to put over coals drawn from a campfire, so there's no lid possible.

indirect slow cooking wouldn't be possible for me without the lid.

If I am doing burgers or grilled chicken I usually don't need the lid, but if they are nice and cooked on the outside and not quite up to temp on the inside, then I will close the lid to give them a boost.

If I am doing thick bone in chops, I sear with all burners on high, then close the lid and turn down the heat so that they can finish, kind of like when I sear in a pan and finish in the oven. I do the same with steak, my partner likes steak more well done so I can close the lid to finish cooking instead of having to overcook the outside of the meat.

I really like having the option of a lid.

Gas grills I have owned, including a Weber and a Ducane among others, all tell you to cook with the lid closed. Of course, you'd have to read the manual to know that. :ohmy:

Gas grills I have owned, including a Weber and a Ducane among others, all tell you to cook with the lid closed. Of course, you'd have to read the manual to know that. :ohmy:

I never been one to play by the rules, I take a manual with a grain of salt, to me common sense is used more, and everybody needs to follow theirs... It's not really rocket science, for most of us, people just need to spread their wings and go for it... Cooking is a beautiful, satisfying, thing for everyone... JMO XOXO

I never been one to play by the rules, I take a manual with a grain of salt, to me common sense is used more, and everybody needs to follow theirs... It's not really rocket science, for most of us, people just need to spread their wings and go for it... Cooking is a beautiful, satisfying, thing for everyone... JMO XOXO

Do you blow dry your hair in the bath tub, too?:ROFLMAO:

....but, but, but, mimiz...you DID say "...people just need to spread their wings and go for it" :-p lol

...when grilling vegetables on a charcoal grill, never, never, never cover with the lid. My uncle chuck did that and the veggies tasted so potently of lighter fluid and smoke that we had to throw them all out...yuk!

....but, but, but, mimiz...you DID say "...people just need to spread their wings and go for it" :-p lol

...when grilling vegetables on a charcoal grill, never, never, never cover with the lid. My uncle chuck did that and the veggies tasted so potently of lighter fluid and smoke that we had to throw them all out...yuk!

Uncle Chuck should have let the fire burn off the lighter fluid before he started cooking. the closed lid wasn't the reason.

...has anyone told you today that you're a smart guy, Andy? Or maybe I'm just really dense...lol...but really, that didn't occur to me that uncle chuck didn't let the lighter fluid burn off first. Now everyone knows my dirty little secret :cool: ...grilling isn't my strong suit

...has anyone told you today that you're a smart guy, Andy? Or maybe I'm just really dense...lol...but really, that didn't occur to me that uncle chuck didn't let the lighter fluid burn off first. Now everyone knows my dirty little secret :cool: ...grilling isn't my strong suit

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::clap::clap::clap:

Back
Top Bottom