Grocery Shopping in Orlando FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

love2eat

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I will be going to Orlando FL this September for business. I will be staying near Seaworld Park and International Golf Club on Westwood Blvd. This is my first time visiting. Could someone help me with my grocery selection? Like where to shop and what's seasonal food in September.

I'd like to cook something simple and mostly vegetarian. I am from Hawaii. Most of things are imported in. So, I love to eat some freshly grown fruits & vegetables.

Thanks in advance!

I only spent about seven months in FL, so I'm far from an expert, but I did drive nearly 50 miles at least once a week to shop in Orlando while I was there.

Whole Foods Market in Winter Park (NE section of Orlando) on Aloma Avenue. They are the best spot I found while there for "health" food. :) Lots of organics, tofu stuff, grains, fish (ok, and meat, not that I eat any of it), a nice array of vegetables and fruits, cheeses. vitamins and other unique goodies. Well worth looking up!

The Fresh Market (near Universal Studios, off of Conroy, irrc) is also a great spot. It's similar to Whole Foods Market, only not quite as "granola-ee". :mrgreen: But it is full of great food, fresh produce and some tasty sushi.

Another huge surprise for me while in Florida were the Target stores that had groceries! I can't remember the name of the street it was on, but it is near the Millenium Mall. The Target grocery store had nice produce and some great "whole food" selections mixed right in with the other stuff. I guess I was just impressed at the overall selection they had.

FL also has some nice farmer's markets, so be on the look out for those too.

I didn't spend much time exploring the downtown area or looking for those funky little neighborhood stores that every city has so I'm sure there are lots of treasures to be found as well.

:heart:
Z

I think you will like Orlando its my favoritte Fla. city to visit,oranges and citrus are always fresh there...plenty of farmers markets and fruit stands along the way... Publix,or Albertson's to shop for groceries I would suggest.
I live in North Fla. but I go to Orlando at least once a year.
hope you have a nice visit...:)

Lived in Orlando for a number of years, now are in VA.

The markets pretty much carry the same stuff we have found everywhere in this country.

Yes, there are regional differences, for example cannot find soft shell clams (only found in New England) there, but most things are pretty much the same.

Publix is a common place to go, Gooding's is more s****y. Do not know if there is one in the area you will be staying but can usually find the locations on the web.

Found that many Albertsons and virtually all Winn Dixie supermarkets not as good.

There are, often on weekends, many open air markets to buy produce.

But my guess, and have never been in Hawaii, is that you may find the produce selection less varied than you might find at home.

love2eat said:
Hi,

I will be going to Orlando FL this September for business. I will be staying near Seaworld Park and International Golf Club on Westwood Blvd.

i'll bet you can get really fresh fish nearby...:rolleyes:

(sorry, couldn't help it)

Back
Top Bottom