Guide to the Jewish Deli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife and I used to go to this Jewish Deli in Dallas on Sundays for brunch. They would seat you, and put a plate of sliced cheese danish on the table that was amazing -- and free.

I can't say I am a fan of two pounds of sliced meat between two slices of bread.

I do love a good bagel. As I have posted before, I use bagels as burger buns. Awesome. I use bagels for other sandwiches, too.

I hate corned beef. That, and rye bread. I'm okay with pastrami if there is enough other stuff on the sandwich. By itself, not my thing.

There is a Jewish Deli in North Dallas that my good friend and mentor loves. It is owned and run by Russian Jews. He calls it the "Russian Tea Room." :LOL:

We always eat well there.

CD

Just read this very interesting article on Serious Eats about the story of the most popular deli meats and the deli culture itself. It's worth the time to read it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/07...16a092f0c98bfae14be&utm_source=Email campaign
So weird! I just read the same article and was planning on posting it here! It’s really very good, kinda reminds me of what “delis” used to be. I remember Mom fighting with the counter ladies at Canter’s, in L.A., about which challah looked better (of course, for the counter ladies, it was always the challah that was closest to them: Mom always wanted the one in the front of the case, making the ladies reach for it! Mom would rant about it all the way home to the OC, to Dad’s perpetual amusement.

And kosher be damned (and the whole mayo thing, too). I love Ruebens, and I like my pastrami with Swiss cheese. And sometimes even a mayo based dressing (gasp)!

So weird! I just read the same article and was planning on posting it here! It’s really very good, kinda reminds me of what “delis” used to be. I remember Mom fighting with the counter ladies at Canter’s, in L.A., about which challah looked better (of course, for the counter ladies, it was always the challah that was closest to them: Mom always wanted the one in the front of the case, making the ladies reach for it! Mom would rant about it all the way home to the OC, to Dad’s perpetual amusement.

And kosher be damned (and the whole mayo thing, too). I love Ruebens, and I like my pastrami with Swiss cheese. And sometimes even a mayo based dressing (gasp)!

I am not religious, but I do love kosher hot dogs. Hebrew National dogs taste great. :yum:

CD

My wife and I used to go to this Jewish Deli in Dallas on Sundays for brunch. They would seat you, and put a plate of sliced cheese danish on the table that was amazing -- and free.

I can't say I am a fan of two pounds of sliced meat between two slices of bread.

I do love a good bagel. As I have posted before, I use bagels as burger buns. Awesome. I use bagels for other sandwiches, too.

I hate corned beef. That, and rye bread. I'm okay with pastrami if there is enough other stuff on the sandwich. By itself, not my thing.

There is a Jewish Deli in North Dallas that my good friend and mentor loves. It is owned and run by Russian Jews. He calls it the "Russian Tea Room." :LOL:

We always eat well there.

CD
The Russian Tearoom in New York is quite famous. As Sardi’s is to opening night parties, the Russian Tearoom (or was, anyway) is the place for Broadway’s money to “do lunch.” Not the dancers, nor the actors; the producers, and the agents, and directors, and the backers (whom the producer “produced.” I don’t know what modern producers do, or the endless scrolling of executive producers.). A good many epic deals and award winning hit shows were birthed in the Russian Tearoom!

How sad. Now it’s only another tourist trap with wildly inflated prices and overbearing wait staff. But you be the judge! Here’s the website; take a look at the menu! I’ve only perused the lunch menu so far; just looking made my credit score drop!

And if you’ve seen the movie Tootsie, you’ll recognize the Tearoom from the scene in which “Tootsie” comes out, so to speak,to his agent.

Last edited:
Nice, interesting article, Andy. Long, but worth the read.

We had two favorite Jewish delis back home: Corky and Lenny's, in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland, and Lou and Hy's in Akron. Lou and Hy got smart and sold out to CVS years ago...but left a lot of unhappy taste buds behind. Corky and Lenny's is still going strong, just as it has been doing for decades and decades. We really missed them when we moved up here, but we would see signs for "Rein's Deli" along I-84 near Hartford, CT as we were driving the OH to MA route. One time we stopped...and tasted "home". It's a 45 minute drive from here, and we have another love along that route that often draws us in as we go along, but we do try to get to Rein's a couple times a year.

For a few years in my 20's I was a funeral director at a Jewish funeral home in Toronto..we could only bring Kosher food in to the home so they had an account at a few deli's in the area..we ate there every day..I haven't made it back to Toronto for many years, but I think if I did, I would search one out, even though they were far from down town..

The Russian Tearoom in New York is quite famous. As Sardi’s is to opening night parties, the Russian Tearoom (or was, anyway) is the place for Broadway’s money to “do lunch.” Not the dancers, nor the actors; the producers, and the agents, and directors, and the backers (whom the producer “produced.” I don’t know what modern producers do, or the endless scrolling of executive producers.). A good many epic deals and award winning hit shows were birthed in the Russian Tearoom!

How sad. Now it’s only another tourist trap with wildly inflated prices and overbearing wait staff. But you be the judge! Here’s the website; take a look at the menu! I’ve only perused the lunch menu so far; just looking made my credit score drop!

And if you’ve seen the movie Tootsie, you’ll recognize the Tearoom from the scene in which “Tootsie” comes out, so to speak,to his agent.

I've been to The Russian Tea room many times, and my wife and I used to go to Sardis every New Year's eve after a show, and just before the ball dropped in Times Square. Both were touristy rip-offs for the most part, but it was still fun and those experiences are fond memories now.

I've been to The Russian Tea room many times, and my wife and I used to go to Sardis every New Year's eve after a show, and just before the ball dropped in Times Square. Both were touristy rip-offs for the most part, but it was still fun and those experiences are fond memories now.
I’ve only been to Sardi’s once. On our last great family vacation, when we visited NYC. I insisted! It was very funny, really. My sister and I had been collecting matchbooks and ashtrays as souvenirs all across the country. Sis was gonna steal an ashtray from Sardi’s, but Mom told her not to, she’d ask the waiter if there was a place we could buy one. Well, she did, and the waiter said “just go ahead and slip that one in your purse, no one’s looking!” And yeah, even back then it was a tourist trap, but it was still kinda neat!

I’ve only been to Sardi’s once. On our last great family vacation, when we visited NYC. I insisted! It was very funny, really. My sister and I had been collecting matchbooks and ashtrays as souvenirs all across the country. Sis was gonna steal an ashtray from Sardi’s, but Mom told her not to, she’d ask the waiter if there was a place we could buy one. Well, she did, and the waiter said “just go ahead and slip that one in your purse, no one’s looking!” And yeah, even back then it was a tourist trap, but it was still kinda neat!

My mother in law is a salt and pepper shaker collector / thief. Not sure if she snaked one from Sardi's or not, but probably just about every other place.

I know most of these delis offer corned beef hash, but does anyone make pastrami hash?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom