"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 106
Happy Cinco de Mayo

Any special plans?

Thinking I'm gonna make some carne guisada w rice.

A video on pickling eggs w Frank's Red Hot came up on my YouTube recommended yesterday. Not knowing much about the process and thinking about all the places through life I've seen pickled eggs for sale and thinking who the hell is eating those, I pulled up the video.

After watching it, I started thinking about pickling some hot peppers. Watched some videos on that and it seems fairly simple.

I've never pickled anything or canned anything. I remember when I was very young my parents doing both, all I remember is a boiling pot of water. Anyone here pickling or canning? Any advice?

__________________

strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
luckytrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southeastern pa.
Posts: 13,167
Cinco de Mayo AND Taco Tuesday ???
No-Brainer for dinner today !
__________________

__________________
“Food is like sex: When you abstain, even the worst stuff begins to look
good.” – Beth McCollister
luckytrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 23,241
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Any special plans?

...

I've never pickled anything or canned anything. I remember when I was very young my parents doing both, all I remember is a boiling pot of water. Anyone here pickling or canning? Any advice?
My advice is to get expert advice. There is all sorts of advice from various individuals on the internet, much of it risky, some of it useful. But, make sure that the food safety info comes from reliable sources, such as the government, Ball canning, etc. There are a number of people who do canning and pickling here.

DC has an entire forum about this topic: Canning and Preserving food
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Any special plans?

Thinking I'm gonna make some carne guisada w rice.

A video on pickling eggs w Frank's Red Hot came up on my YouTube recommended yesterday. Not knowing much about the process and thinking about all the places through life I've seen pickled eggs for sale and thinking who the hell is eating those, I pulled up the video.

After watching it, I started thinking about pickling some hot peppers. Watched some videos on that and it seems fairly simple.

I've never pickled anything or canned anything. I remember when I was very young my parents doing both, all I remember is a boiling pot of water. Anyone here pickling or canning? Any advice?
Pickling can be done with or without canning. We have several people here who make pickles and can foods, and there are several threads on the forum about this; you could do a search and start commenting on an existing one, or start a new thread. It's can be confusing to discuss a different topic in the dinner thread.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
Cinco de Mayo AND Taco Tuesday ???
No-Brainer for dinner today !
Right?! Tacos should be free somewhere lol.
strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My advice is to get expert advice. There is all sorts of advice from various individuals on the internet, much of it risky, some of it useful. But, make sure that the food safety info comes from reliable sources, such as the government, Ball canning, etc. There are a number of people who do canning and pickling here.

DC has an entire forum about this topic: Canning and Preserving food
Yeah, I watched a Ball Canning video and looked for other reputable sources, like BA.
strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Pickling can be done with or without canning. We have several people here who make pickles and can foods, and there are several threads on the forum about this; you could do a search and start commenting on an existing one, or start a new thread. It's can be confusing to discuss a different topic in the dinner thread.
I saw that there seemed to be a cold canning and true canning techniques.

I did ask what your cinco de mayo plans are.

Mexican food to me is simple. I worked with a great woman 30 years ago who would be over a 100 years old today. She ran a Mexican kitchen I worked in for a few years. Her food was just that, simple and delicious. The restaurant was always busy and is still serving today.

One of my favorites is the roast beef(carne guisada) enchiladas. But they use a gravy on top, not a red sauce and that makes all the difference to me. Not a fan of red sauce enchiladas myself.
strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
I saw that there seemed to be a cold canning and true canning techniques.

I did ask what your cinco de mayo plans are.
I've never heard of cold canning. I can't imagine how that could be shelf-stable.

I know you did. I just think the canning topic should be in a different thread. Not just to avoid mixing topics, but to make it easier to find in the future. I guess I'm a bit OCD about organization
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:37 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 1,462
Guacamole! I haven't been shopping much lately, but about 10 days ago I went to Aldi's, because they had avocados for 59¢ each, and I had to get some, along with cilantro, and a few other things (I stocked up on corn tortillas, two packs in the freezer now). I thawed some of last season's tomatoes and peppers, and harvested some chives and garlic chives - I like these better than raw onion, since they keep better, and there is less aftertaste, that raw onion results in.
Guacamole, on Cinco de Mayo. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I also had some frozen mole sauce, so I thawed some of that, as well as frozen, cooked turkey, and I made a few tacos with that. And I didn't have any crema, so I used something that I've seen Bayless use in place of sour cream or crema - Greek yogurt. And it was surprisingly good!

Oh yeah - I forgot the Tequila!

And on that pickling topic, I have that escabeche that I made a couple of weeks ago - one of those things that I almost always have in my fridge, for a lot of Mexican, as well as other things.
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,559
Given the current isolationary circumstances we find ourselves in these days, for me this date has a different significance related to yesterday's date. "May the fifth be with you!"
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,740
I was interested to see this recent article about google searches for questions about Cinco de mayo

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/ameri...rnd/index.html

hilarious
__________________
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 8,989
Mexico doesn't even celebrate this, what they consider, insignificant holiday. It's just another excuse for white people to get drunk and boisterous.
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,465
I loved this from LuckyTrim..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cinco.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	40809  
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Mexico doesn't even celebrate this, what they consider, insignificant holiday. It's just another excuse for white people to get drunk and boisterous.
Let's get the party started!
__________________

__________________
My blog https://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×