Happy Cinco de Mayo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any special plans?

Thinking I'm gonna make some carne guisada w rice.

A video on pickling eggs w Frank's Red Hot came up on my YouTube recommended yesterday. Not knowing much about the process and thinking about all the places through life I've seen pickled eggs for sale and thinking who the hell is eating those, I pulled up the video.

After watching it, I started thinking about pickling some hot peppers. Watched some videos on that and it seems fairly simple.

I've never pickled anything or canned anything. I remember when I was very young my parents doing both, all I remember is a boiling pot of water. Anyone here pickling or canning? Any advice?

Any special plans?

I've never pickled anything or canned anything. I remember when I was very young my parents doing both, all I remember is a boiling pot of water. Anyone here pickling or canning? Any advice?

My advice is to get expert advice. There is all sorts of advice from various individuals on the internet, much of it risky, some of it useful. But, make sure that the food safety info comes from reliable sources, such as the government, Ball canning, etc. There are a number of people who do canning and pickling here.

DC has an entire forum about this topic: Canning and Preserving food

Any special plans?

Thinking I'm gonna make some carne guisada w rice.

A video on pickling eggs w Frank's Red Hot came up on my YouTube recommended yesterday. Not knowing much about the process and thinking about all the places through life I've seen pickled eggs for sale and thinking who the hell is eating those, I pulled up the video.

After watching it, I started thinking about pickling some hot peppers. Watched some videos on that and it seems fairly simple.

Pickling can be done with or without canning. We have several people here who make pickles and can foods, and there are several threads on the forum about this; you could do a search and start commenting on an existing one, or start a new thread. It's can be confusing to discuss a different topic in the dinner thread.

My advice is to get expert advice. There is all sorts of advice from various individuals on the internet, much of it risky, some of it useful. But, make sure that the food safety info comes from reliable sources, such as the government, Ball canning, etc. There are a number of people who do canning and pickling here.

DC has an entire forum about this topic: Canning and Preserving food

Yeah, I watched a Ball Canning video and looked for other reputable sources, like BA.

Pickling can be done with or without canning. We have several people here who make pickles and can foods, and there are several threads on the forum about this; you could do a search and start commenting on an existing one, or start a new thread. It's can be confusing to discuss a different topic in the dinner thread.

I saw that there seemed to be a cold canning and true canning techniques.

I did ask what your cinco de mayo plans are.

Mexican food to me is simple. I worked with a great woman 30 years ago who would be over a 100 years old today. She ran a Mexican kitchen I worked in for a few years. Her food was just that, simple and delicious. The restaurant was always busy and is still serving today.

One of my favorites is the roast beef(carne guisada) enchiladas. But they use a gravy on top, not a red sauce and that makes all the difference to me. Not a fan of red sauce enchiladas myself.

I saw that there seemed to be a cold canning and true canning techniques.

I did ask what your cinco de mayo plans are.
I've never heard of cold canning. I can't imagine how that could be shelf-stable.

I know you did. I just think the canning topic should be in a different thread. Not just to avoid mixing topics, but to make it easier to find in the future. I guess I'm a bit OCD about organization ;)

Last edited:
Guacamole! I haven't been shopping much lately, but about 10 days ago I went to Aldi's, because they had avocados for 59¢ each, and I had to get some, along with cilantro, and a few other things (I stocked up on corn tortillas, two packs in the freezer now). I thawed some of last season's tomatoes and peppers, and harvested some chives and garlic chives - I like these better than raw onion, since they keep better, and there is less aftertaste, that raw onion results in.
Guacamole, on Cinco de Mayo. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I also had some frozen mole sauce, so I thawed some of that, as well as frozen, cooked turkey, and I made a few tacos with that. And I didn't have any crema, so I used something that I've seen Bayless use in place of sour cream or crema - Greek yogurt. And it was surprisingly good!

Oh yeah - I forgot the Tequila!

And on that pickling topic, I have that escabeche that I made a couple of weeks ago - one of those things that I almost always have in my fridge, for a lot of Mexican, as well as other things.

Last edited:
Given the current isolationary circumstances we find ourselves in these days, for me this date has a different significance related to yesterday's date. "May the fifth be with you!"

Mexico doesn't even celebrate this, what they consider, insignificant holiday. It's just another excuse for white people to get drunk and boisterous.

I loved this from LuckyTrim..

Attachments

• cinco.jpg
    cinco.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom