Hash browns in the pan and then in the oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
in ISRAEL people will often prefer to make hash browns in the oven. it became more common.

but i think it is hard to put oil that way instead of the pan.
my idea is to start in the pan with oil and after a short time when the hash browns soaked some oil to transfer to the oven....
is this a good idea?

ps
i like that these forums don't have so many categories like forums on other subjects. it's easier to choose.

If you are talking about preformed and frozen hash browns (which is what I have) then straight into the oven is best for me. They seem to have a lot of oil already - at least the pan sure shows oil on it after... and so do my fingers.

If you are talking about homemade from scratch (which is something I have done but very rare) I believe they were only done in the pan. I can see your point in transferring to the oven to finish. Excellent idea!

I believe when the temperature of the oil is right items being fried will not absorb an excessive amount of oil.

I personally found that should my hash browns (or fritters) be too thick and therefore need longer to cook through then there is the danger of overbrowning the bases. Then by lowering the heat you run the risk of absorption.

So now the oven would be the way to go.

Or par-boil or microwave potatoes first till just tender. Then a very hot pan and very little oil will be needed to brown and crisp the potatoes.

maybe it is because i didn't used an egg,
i did tried to make it in the oven after frying it.
it was a mess and fell apart easily,

and each patty got burned outside....

for some reason it was also soaked in a lot of oil too

i think i will have to try with an egg next time because the recipe that doesn't use egg is not good for me. or at least at my first time making it.

if i will make it this way again it will only be with a ring so the the edges will less likely get burnt

first times are often bad......

Attachments

• photo_2021-11-24_23-30-56(1).jpg
    photo_2021-11-24_23-30-56(1).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 47
For classic hash browns, with shredded potatoes, first soak the raw, shredded potatoes in water for 5 minutes, stirring to wash out starches. Repeat with fresh water until the water is clear. Drain in colander. Tip, placing the potatoes in a salad spinner will help remove excess water. Place drained potatoes on a platter, spread out evenly. Use paper towels to remove more water. Lightly salt the potatoes, and place into a heavy, hot pan, that has just a sheen of oil. Place cover on pan, and cook over medium heat for thee minutes. Flip the hash browns and cook, uncovered until the underside browns. Flip again and repeat. If you so desire, you can add a tsp. of ghee to the pan to add flavor.

Water is the enemy of crispy foods. This is why care must be taken to remove as much water as is possible.

A video showing how - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttK2YP_ayYI

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

thank you for the idea
how did you found this specific video?

you are saying that an egg will add a lot of moisture and in this case it is not desirable?

Last edited:
thank you for the idea
how did you found this specific video?

you are saying that an egg will add a lot of moisture and in this case it is not desirable?

That's correct. For hash browns, egg will ruin the texture.

I just put particular keywords in Google, and search. I've always been good at research, even before there was an internet. i was always the leader in science, and engineering projects in school, and at figuring things out at home, and work.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Great explanation, Chief - basically, you have to get the potatoes as dry as possible before putting them into the pan.They stick together all on their own, just like Swiss Rosti.

Great explanation, Chief - basically, you have to get the potatoes as dry as possible before putting them into the pan.They stick together all on their own, just like Swiss Rosti.

Just had to Google this and found that one of my favorite food bloggers has a simple, interesting recipe w/video.

https://www.recipetineats.com/potato-rosti/

We love hash browns and will be trying her method.

Ross

I've made them with bacon fat, but I've never clarified it, nor heard of doing that. I strain the solids out of the fat when storing it, but I don't think that's the same as clarifying.

Well, that was what I meant by clarifying it. You have already done the melting it part. You don't really have to melt it for a while to make the solids separate, that pretty much happened when you were cooking the bacon. Straining them out is the last step.

Back
Top Bottom