Hawaiian bread for croutons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolgirl

Senior Cook
I have a half pack of rolls left. We probably won't eat. Just wondered if they would make good croutons. They have a sweet taste , so didn't know if it would work or not. I have not made croutons, but don't you just dice them up,put olive oil over and sprinkle things like italian seasonings over? Do you bake at about 200 for how long ? Thanks:)

They can be frozen.My kids make panini's,it's their favorite roll.
You can make croutons with it.I cube them into small pieces,dehydrate.Then season and finish them off in the oven.
This is Mcnerd's recipe.It's really good,the seasoning are on the spot.

Croutons

10 slices bread -- heels are fine (homemade or store bought)
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt (or 1/2 teaspoon salt -- and 1/8 teaspoon celery seed)
1/4 cup oil -- (1/4 to 1/3)

First make 2 piles of your bread. Using a very sharp, serrated knife, slice them into small cubes. I make 5 cuts each direction, one down the center, and two to each side, but you can do it the way that works best for you. Place all of the bread cubes into a large bowl.

Sprinkle on the seasonings. Toss briefly to mix in the seasonings. Next dribble in the oil somewhat evenly. Now gently toss everything together. The oil will help the seasonings stick to the bread and also make the bread crispy without actually having to fry it. Spread the croutons on a large cookie sheet, use two if you need to. Bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until they are crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan. Store the croutons in a plastic bag, or resealable container. Serve on salads, or tossed in omelettes, or on top of plain spaghetti and Parmesan cheese.

Thank you so much, I think I had read this before but when I went back to find it I couldn't. This is a great help to me. I plan to make a copy of it this time.

Chef Munky, just wanted you to know I did the croutons and they turned out very good. I had a pasta salad and they went good with that. Thanks for all the directions .Also thanks to Mcnerd for posting the recipe. I can see myself using it a lot of times. I have thrown a lot of bread out that I could have used and not wasted it. Oh well, you live and learn. Faye

I probably wouldn't use Kings for croutons, I simply don't have a sweet tooth, but am not surprised that they were delicious, especially if you have a little fruit in the salad (apples, mandarin oranges). Leftover Hawaiian bread is something I'd be more inclined to use for French toast. I usually cook for two, and don't have a large freezer, so often make my croutons in a skillet. A light coating of olive oil (and yes, I sometimes use a spray) and seasonings and a few minutes of constant tossing. A slice or maybe two of the end pieces of a loaf of bread is easily enough for a salad or soup for two.

Claire, yes they were a little sweet, but they were still good. I look forward to making more. I make my own bread quite often and usually it will start getting stale before we can use it up. This recipe will be a good way to use up the leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom