"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,152
Help Another Screw Up

I left a 5 pound packaged corn beef sitting out of the freezer. It was fully frozen and I set it aside last night while digging for something.
I did not see it until a few minutes ago.
So about 20 hours. It was still very cool. I returned it to the freezer immediately.

I think its fine as its prepared (corned) and vacuumed packed? What do you guys think?
It will be simmered for 4 hours when I cook it as well.

Thanks All
John
__________________

Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,152
Ps.....basement was cool. Around 50f
__________________

Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 3,548
From your description of events and the product, I'd proceed with cooking it..

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:31 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
From your description of events and the product, I'd proceed with cooking it..



Ross


Thanks Ross. I put it back into the freezer. We already ate one for St. Patricks Day.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,237
Should be fine. Give it a good whiff test when you do cook it.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,152
Thanks Princess. I think it will be okay. I wish I had not told my wife as she now will remember it was left out. Hard to forget as corned beef is a big deal around here.
We love it!
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 93
I'd be skeptical. Most likely, close to 100% it's okay, but I've had food poisoning a few times. I'd gladly pay $20.00 not to each time.

That's what makes me throw stuff out many times. Is it worth the cost of the food to not be sick?
strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,654
I should think it would be just fine. I could go into a lot of details as to why I think so but suffice it to say... been there, done that, enjoyed ...

on more than one occasion

I think you will know 'when to throw'
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Thanks Princess. I think it will be okay. I wish I had not told my wife as she now will remember it was left out. Hard to forget as corned beef is a big deal around here.
We love it!
Oh yeah! Shrek and I always bought 6 of them so we could have them through out the year. After he was gone, I continued the tradition, why should I not have my corned beef? My problem is not getting them all eaten in 2 or 3 months, love it!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
I'd be skeptical. Most likely, close to 100% it's okay, but I've had food poisoning a few times. I'd gladly pay $20.00 not to each time.
That's what makes me throw stuff out many times. Is it worth the cost of the food to not be sick?
And the reason I asked about it here. I have also been food poisoned. Not fun. But for some reason that package of corned beef just told me to "put it back in". Now its time to forget...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I should think it would be just fine. I could go into a lot of details as to why I think so but suffice it to say... been there, done that, enjoyed ...
on more than one occasion
I think you will know 'when to throw'
Agree. I already made the call. Gut call. Posting here was for support and opinions. Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh yeah! Shrek and I always bought 6 of them so we could have them through out the year. After he was gone, I continued the tradition, why should I not have my corned beef? My problem is not getting them all eaten in 2 or 3 months, love it!
Sorry about your husband. I cringe/get sad at the thought of not having my wife. She is my whole life!
Yes, as you can see a 5 pound corned beef for two, is a bit much.
But it holds very well in the fridge as we keep the boiling liquid and keep it submerged. We had it for dinner twice, but when you build big sandwiches, it goes away pretty fast. I try to make them as big as Katz deli in NY. Never been there, but I love seeing those sandwiches! I hope to go one day before I go.
Thank You.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,434
We also buy extra corned beef and freeze.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,093
Just an observation, but now is a very bad time to risk food poisoning because you DO NOT want to have to make a trip to the ER …

Even though it was vacuum packed, bacteria that were already on the meat were activated and multiplied while it was sitting out. Freezing doesn't kill them.

Also freezing, thawing and refreezing meat usually degrades the texture of the meat quite a bit.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Just an observation, but now is a very bad time to risk food poisoning because you DO NOT want to have to make a trip to the ER …
Even though it was vacuum packed, bacteria that were already on the meat were activated and multiplied while it was sitting out. Freezing doesn't kill them.
Also freezing, thawing and refreezing meat usually degrades the texture of the meat quite a bit.
I'm tempted to go down there and toss it. Thanks. I spend more money than that at the pool hall.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,738
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Just an observation, but now is a very bad time to risk food poisoning because you DO NOT want to have to make a trip to the ER …
...
That is a very good point. It might be a good reminder a lot of people.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×