Help!!! cooking 25 lbs of rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
Hello! I am going to be selling Taiwanese stewed pork over rice at my university and was wondering how can I efficiently (as in time) cook 25 lbs of rice, store it overnight, and reheat it the day of, or just cook rice before the event starts.

I was thinking about cooking it in aluminum catering pans like those flimsy foil pans, but I don't know how thats going to work out.

Thanks!

Doing some quick talking, you might be able to borrow the use of a school or hospital kitchen that uses the large steam kettles. They would be able to cook 25 lbs. of rice just before you needed it. If the event is non-profit, you should have little problem convincing someone.

As a non-profit, we used a local hospital's kettles to cook and dye Easter Eggs every year.

If you are cornered into using steamtable pans don't use pans deeper than 2 1/2" or the rice on the bottom will be mushy. 2 to 1 liquid to rice. Reheat slowly at a low temp [225f] or wash with hot water.

or electric rice cookers? several large ones? Do you serve it all at once or over the course of time? If the latter, you could time it so that you have nicely cooked rice towards the end of the event as opposed to rice that's been kept warm for a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom