Help ID an herb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Ok, I've posted a couple times that I had planted some Lavender and some Tarragon last year. I got some kind of plant, but since I had planted both herbs close together, and didn't mark them, I wasn't sure which one had sprouted. I couldn't get a discernable scent when I bruised some leaves, and it didn't bloom.

Ok, now that I have a decent digital camera, I've taken a picture of the shoots that are springing up this year.
2006mysteryherb8pa.jpg

It kind of looks like Tarragon. I haven't tried bruising a leaf yet. However, I know that Lavender looks similar to Tarragon. Can any of you more garden-knowledgable folks help? If it blooms, I should know for sure then.

It looks like tarragon to me. Lavender had more "needle' like leaves, whereas tarragon has the long narrow leaf as shown in your photo.

I definitely looks like Tarragon to me, but the only way you'll be able to ID definitely will be to crush a fresh leaf.

If it doesn't have that distinctive anise-like scent, there's also the possibility that you planted Russian Tarragon, which has little to no scent or taste, & is virtually worthless. Some of the big box stores around here (Lowe's, Home Depot) sometimes sell Russian Tarragon just marked "Tarragon", which is why you should never buy such a plant without doing the "leaf test" first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom