Help! Measurement for cooked rice problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnoliasouth

Assistant Cook
Okay, I love this video.

The problem is I have no idea how much 350 grams or 14 oz. or cooked rice is.

I mean, I get that 8 oz = one cup, IF we're talking volume but this sounds like a weight to me.

Should I just go with two cups of rice? It kind of looks about 2 cups-ish.

You're in luck. I just cooked a cup of rice for fried rice. So I grabbed a scale and a measuring cup.

A cup of cooked rice weighs about 190 grams or 6.7 ounces. The whole cup of uncooked rice weighed out to 692 grams or a little over 1.5 pounds.

Thanks be to the both of you!

Many thanks. I'm writing this all down for future reference too. :)

The one thing that gets me about that recipe is who the heck measures cooked rice by weight? That's very odd. I can see pre-cooked weight, but post-cooked? Very strange.

Oh well, just another mystery of life I guess.

Happy cooking!

:chef:

Last edited:
...who the heck measures cooked rice by weight? That's very odd. I can see pre-cooked weight, but post-cooked? Very strange...

Fried rice was created as a means of using up leftover cooked white rice. That's why the recipe gives the measurement that way.

Now you can work on some of the other mysteries of life...:LOL:

I don't think many fried rice recipes are that definite in the amounts. I make mine to use up leftover rice also and add about what I'm in the mood for at that time or what else I want to use up.

I don't think many fried rice recipes are that definite in the amounts. I make mine to use up leftover rice also and add about what I'm in the mood for at that time or what else I want to use up.

Many people do that. However, it's difficult to publish a recipe with directions that don't include quantities and ingredient names.

I would agree that at times some recipes are not that definite, but this one is definite.

The rest of the ingredients are all very definite and the measurement is given for the rice, just not in a normal fashion.

What I was saying was that I've never heard of cooked rice being given in a measurement by weight and not volume.

It's odd.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom