Help Please...Chicken roasting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ljr646

Assistant Cook
New Here.

I roasted a 5.3lb chicken at 450 for 25 min...then turned it down to 375 and set timer for 45min....is that too much? too little? I am worried it will be too dry or undercooked. Any ideas or support would be very much appreciated!!
Thanks!

I think you are ok. When your timer goes off, you can cut into the skin between the breast and the thigh. If the juices are clear, and you can't see any red around the thigh joint, the chicken is done. If you see pink or red, leave it in the oven another 10 minutes and check again.

I think it could be too long. I recommend you check it now and just leave it in for a few more minutes if it's not done.

You can't always go by time and temp. Sounds like it may be cooked but ultimately, you can tell by looking and checking the bird. Try and pull the leg(and no, I don't mean tell it a joke) does it come away easy, or is it still very stiffly attatched to the body? Is the juice inside or around the bird still pink? Then it needs to stay in for a while. Is the skin crispy as you want it? If not, crank the heat again and let it crisp up. It takes awhile to really dry up chicken.

Test by inserting a knife in the breast and thigh (thickest part near a bone) then press the flat of the blade near the cut. Juices that come out should be clear, not pink.

Back
Top Bottom