Help with caramel topping for caramel rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ottenm

Assistant Cook
I use the following recipe for the topping on from-scratch caramel rolls:

½ cup brown sugar
4 tbsp butter
1 tablespoon cream or water (I use all half & half)
1 tbsp corn syrup

It gets mixed and melted thoroughly, spread into the bottom of the pan, cools a little, then add some pecans and the dough rolls. The dough rises (2nd time), and then it all gets baked for 20 minutes.

The rolls flip out great at the end (buttered pan), with most of the topping perfectly caramelized and baked into the tops of the rolls. What's left of the topping scrapes out pretty easily and gets added to the tops of the rolls. It's still great, but it's not the perfect consistency that you get with the stuff that stuck to the rolls.

Maybe the topping needs to cook a little longer? But that would toast and dry the rolls... I tried boiling the topping once, and I can't remember if it came out better, but (because of the corn syrup?) it was very hardened. Maybe simmer the topping a little longer, but not boiling? Spend half of the cooking time covered? Let the topping cool down more before adding the pecans and dough? Let it cool less? More butter in the pan? Or: just make peace and continue attacking the impeccable rolls!

To avoid making 6 batches from scratch, trying each alternative, I thought I'd start here at the top! How to get all of the topping to caramelize and pop right out with the rolls?

Any help, tips, links, ... greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom