Help with cooking Chicken in slow cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oberon

Assistant Cook
Okay, I tried for the 1st time to cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker:( but it did't work very well

Paprika, salt and pepper. With half a lemon and onion stuff in the chicken.

I made 6 balls of foil and put them on the bottom of the slow cooker - then put water around them.

I then laid the chicken on top of them:(

the problem and I don't know if this is right is after a while the chicken is surrounded with water:( and then just boils cook:( - not roasted.... is this right or how do I stop this?

Okay, I tried for the 1st time to cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker:( but it did't work very well

Paprika, salt and pepper. With half a lemon and onion stuff in the chicken.

I made 6 balls of foil and put them on the bottom of the slow cooker - then put water around them.

I then laid the chicken on top of them:(

the problem and I don't know if this is right is after a while the chicken is surrounded with water:( and then just boils cook:( - not roasted.... is this right or how do I stop this?

Welcome to DC!

Oh dear. You probably used too much liquid, and made broth. Use the liquid for stock, and the chicken for soup, or freeze the meat for other stuff. It's all good! Others will weigh in soon!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome and good to hear another is here from Adelaide:) - So I need to use less water next time?

It does pretty much steam in a slow cooker so you get a more poached effect. Rather than use foil an idea is to sit your chicken on chunks of onion or chunky veg and this will make for a tasty stock which you can make gravy or soup with .

Sorry it didn't work out Oberon, and welcome.

I wouldn't use any water at all. Frankly with wet heat from the juices, I don't think a whole chicken is suited for a crock pot. A whole roasted chicken in the oven is so easy to do with spectacular results and only takes an hour, or maybe a little more.

Here's a wonderful thread from a couple of years ago that you should find useful.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/whole-chicken-for-beginners-67719.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom