Help with this steak I bought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jujube246

Assistant Cook
ok so yet i have this steak i bought from the commissary on base and its called mock tender steak choice... I have no clue what to use, and yet since i eat way too much so, im pretty limited till payday.. I was wondering could i stuff this with spinach dip or something??? I am totally clueless on what to do... please help. thanks all

ok so yet i have this steak i bought from the commissary on base and its called mock tender steak choice... I have no clue what to use, and yet since i eat way too much so, im pretty limited till payday.. I was wondering could i stuff this with spinach dip or something??? I am totally clueless on what to do... please help. thanks all

How thick is it?
Does it resemble flank or flat iron steak? If its thin you could probably do that but spread it on top then roll it(like a jelly roll) tie it and cook it.
The first time I bought a flat iron steak, I had no idea what to do with it. I ended up panfrying and it turned out tender enough even when cooked to well done. Ive since done them in different ways and always have had it turn out.
Im not sure what cut of beef the store here uses to make the "stuffed" steaks but they do it the jelly roll style and suggest grilling or baking it for a short amount of time.

the steak is a pretty thin cut, and hmm that sounds like a plan... i guess ill try that jelly roll style and see how it all goes.. Thanks for the advice and explanation of the steak all.

it is the more tender cut of a tougher but tasty piece of meat. it's not tenderloin as might be suspected; better imo.

just sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper and grill over very high heat. time depends on the thickness.

if you want to kick it up, make a compound butter of fresh thyme, a bit of minced garlic, and salt. as the steak is about done, hit it with a piece of the compound butter to melt over top.

Mock Tender/Scotch Fillet/Chuck Eye

This is a fairly tender, usually inexpensive cut from the chuck. I buy them whole sometimes but they can also be cut to resemble a tenderloin fillet. Sliced thin and marinated, they are perfect for Korean Beef. They can also be cooked/grilled as regular steak as long as they are not overcooked. Marinated and grilled in their whole state they can be sliced and served with a nice relish made from grilled vidalia onion, scallion, and jalepeno!

Last edited:
When I worked in the packing house 50 years ago, chuck was often cut into stew meat or ground or chopped. We would cut steaks from the tender and cryovac a bunch for aging. The tastiest steaks ever. The aging would make them tender. They are lean, so I wrapped them with bacon. If the ones you have are thin, less than an inch, I would grill them quickly otherwise they will be dry and tough. If your commissary will custom cut, ask the to cut some over an inch.

How funny that I've never heard of it! But believe me, I do remember military payday to payday life!

This cut of meat is from the beef chuck , just opposite the blade on the top part of a 7 bone chuck steak. Being a less tender cut and very lean , it is best prepared using a moist heat type of cooking. Braising and pot roasting are two recommended types of cooking for this piece. Sliced, Browned and finished in sauce or gravy slowly is my best suggestion. A nice way to prepare would be to brown the slices and finish with garlic, sliced peppers and onions, in tomato sauce, slowly simmered, covered, until tender, like swiss steak or steak pizzaola. Marinating is always another altenative, but be sure to give it enough time to tenderize.

When I worked in the packing house 50 years ago, chuck was often cut into stew meat or ground or chopped. We would cut steaks from the tender and cryovac a bunch for aging. The tastiest steaks ever. The aging would make them tender. They are lean, so I wrapped them with bacon. If the ones you have are thin, less than an inch, I would grill them quickly otherwise they will be dry and tough. If your commissary will custom cut, ask the to cut some over an inch.

Interesting. Almost sounds like it could be the next tri-tip cut!

Back
Top Bottom