Herbes de Provence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beef stew

Herbes de provence is great for beef stew :chef:
You can also use it when cooking veggie stew
Hmm i know you are after for the recipe but i think i can not give you the ingredients at these moment :( I haven't yet ask my mom for her recipe book...
Hmm but i think you can use the regular ingredients of beef stew and then just add the herbes de provence when cooking ;)

I found several recipes for herbes de provence through a google search, but I'd be interested to see what people use in their blends.

I found a mixture in a book, The Wonderful Food of Provence, Escudier:

1 T coriander
1 t lavender
4 T powdered bay leaf
3 T each of basil, nutmeg, rosemary, thyme
2 T each of clove, savory, white pepper

I've used the Penzey's blend, which I really like, but I grow my own herbs and would like to have a recipe for proportions.

Does the above recipe sound right to you? The amount of bay seems strong, but flavorful.

Interesting, looking at several recipes online, one can see that each cook probably has their own version, like "curry." Some say sage is NEVER included, other recipes contain it, some say lavender is ALWAYS included, others say it's optional.
I've used it, only as a spice blend that comes in a jar, used up the jar of it then never used it again. I have used a variety of herbs in a dish, but none with the variety that herbes de provence provides.
I think I should go to the south of France and research...
http://www.google.com/search?q=reci...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Last edited:
I found a mixture in a book, The Wonderful Food of Provence, Escudier:

1 T coriander
1 t lavender
4 T powdered bay leaf
3 T each of basil, nutmeg, rosemary, thyme
2 T each of clove, savory, white pepper

I've used the Penzey's blend, which I really like, but I grow my own herbs and would like to have a recipe for proportions.

Does the above recipe sound right to you? The amount of bay seems strong, but flavorful.

I have never seen coriander or bay leaf listed before, nor clove nor any pepper! I have taught Provencal cooking for 23 years, and have eaten and studied in Provence extensively. My lessons and taste buds tell me (and the traditional mixture is) MORTTS + lavender in the summer.
M= marjoram
O= oregano
R= rosemary
T= thyme
T= tarragon
S= summer savory.

However, like all things, it's a matter of personal taste. I thought Herbes de Provence were another thing entirely BEFORE I went to Provence and tasted everything there, and breathed in the air. It's an epiphany! :)

Personally, I purchase my dried Herbes de Provence at a small coffee and herb shop called Polcari's on the corner of Parmenter and Salem in the North End of Boston. They blend their own, and it tastes just like what I bring back from Provence!

This time of year, I grow all the components in my little herb garden, and enjoy using them all fresh.

Thank you, Wyogal and ChefJune

Thanks for the links and for the insight on actual France, not virtual, as one can only get from a book and never having been there.

BTW: Savory on squash is out of sight!:)

oops! I forgot to say that the proportions of the MORTTS are equal portions. The lavender in season is to taste. It does add a decidedly sweet flavor to the mixture if you use the dried blossoms. I usually use the leaves.

Hadn't thought of using lavender leaves--silly me--if the buds are edible, wouldn't the leaves be too?

The leaves are lovely, and you can also use the stalks like we do rosemary to skewer shrimp for grilling, or sausage and veggie chunks. The flavor is mild and lovely.

I save the blossoms to dry for lavender syrup or ice cream. :chef: mmmm think I will caramelize some and make ice cream this evening.

The leaves are lovely, and you can also use the stalks like we do rosemary to skewer shrimp for grilling, or sausage and veggie chunks. The flavor is mild and lovely.

I never thought of using the stalks. What a great idea.

I have seen several different blends for Herbes de Provence. I had the opportunity to spend alot of time throughout France and brought back at least 4 mixtures all labeled Herbes de Provence.

I have seen several different blends for Herbes de Provence. I had the opportunity to spend alot of time throughout France and brought back at least 4 mixtures all labeled Herbes de Provence.

right you are, Mark, but since you've tasted at the source, you have some idea in your head and mouth of what tyou're looking for in Herbes de Provence.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom