Hi, my name is Linda. And I'm an Avocaholic.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
Meaning avocados, of course! :yum:

Out of a 7-day week, I probably eat avocado 4 to 5 days. I buy several at a time, leaving one on the counter to ripen, keeping the others in the fridge until I'm ready to get another one out to let it sit on the counter for a day or two. I put it on salads, in wraps and sometimes just eat them as-is. However, I could use some new ideas.

So come forward, avocado lovers, and tell me your favorite ways to eat the beautiful things.

http%3A%2F%2Fi.huffpost.com%2Fgen%2F4061664%2Fimages%2Fn-AVOCADOS-628x314.jpg

Hi Linda, have you ever made an Avocado sauce that went over eggs and toast. We have it all the time. It is soo good. Happy to share the recipe if you want

Avocados are like milk, bread and eggs. Always on the shopping list. lol

Last edited:
Tuna melt in an avocado.

39817-albums960-picture7290.jpg
[/IMG]
Sushi bon-bon's with crab. You can use shrimp,crab,lobster etc. with Eel sauce.

[IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/39817-albums888-picture6247.jpg[/IMG]

Omelet

Long ago, I tagged along with Himself when he had a training session in the Anaheim area. As part of his hotel package, we'd enjoy a full breakfast in the hotel restaurant each morning. The first day I ordered their "California Omelet", which included bacon, avocado, and provolone cheese. To. Die. For! :yum: I think I had it two more times in the span of a week. Their presentation included two full strips of bacon and half the avocado on half of the omelet, flip the other half of the omelet over that, then provolone and the other half of the avocado, sliced, across the top of the omelet. I prefer scattering crumbled bacon across the eggs once they're in the pan, and slicing all of the avocado both under and over the omelet. And provolone ALL over! Smoked prov is really good, too.

Now I need to add avocado and provolone to my next shopping list.

Hi Linda, have you ever made an Avocado sauce that went over eggs and toast. We have it all the time. It is soo good. Happy to share the recipe if you want

Avocados are like milk, bread and eggs. Always on the shopping list. lol

I've made avocado sauce as well as avocado mayo. Delicious on just about anything :)

Funny you mention the shopping list thing. My son teased me about that the other day. I use those magnetic shopping list note pads and one is always hanging on the fridge. My son was writing something he wants onto the list and chuckled, then said "Gee, why am I not surprised to see avocado on here?"

I said "Hey, you don't know what you're missing" because he refuses to eat them.

One of my favorite things is to make a BLAT wrap. Well, that's what I call it. It's basically a BLT with avocado and I wrap it all up into a tortilla, then grill it on the stovetop until it's slightly browned. I had one last night and one the night before. Tonight we're doing pizza, though, so I have to wait until another day to have my BLAT :(

Tuna melt in an avocado.

39817-albums960-picture7290.jpg
[/IMG]
Sushi bon-bon's with crab. You can use shrimp,crab,lobster etc. with Eel sauce.

[IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/39817-albums888-picture6247.jpg[/IMG]

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Long ago, I tagged along with Himself when he had a training session in the Anaheim area. As part of his hotel package, we'd enjoy a full breakfast in the hotel restaurant each morning. The first day I ordered their "California Omelet", which included bacon, avocado, and provolone cheese. To. Die. For! :yum: I think I had it two more times in the span of a week. Their presentation included two full strips of bacon and half the avocado on half of the omelet, flip the other half of the omelet over that, then provolone and the other half of the avocado, sliced, across the top of the omelet. I prefer scattering crumbled bacon across the eggs once they're in the pan, and slicing all of the avocado both under and over the omelet. And provolone ALL over! Smoked prov is really good, too.

Now I need to add avocado and provolone to my next shopping list.

Yes you do. And don't forget! ;)

Sounds delicious.

Good thread, Linda - and great looking pics and ideas!

I love avocados too, and other than sliced with a little lemon or lime juice, I think my fave is good ol' chunky guacamole. :yum: If there's any leftover, I smoosh some plastic wrap on it to keep it from browning, and spread it over toast the next morning.

Attachments

• guacamole and salsa.jpg
    guacamole and salsa.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
When we eat them "as is" I sprinkle a little garlic salt on them. A famous restaurant in NM is embarrassed to give out their recipe for guacamole because it is only avocado and garlic salt. Very easy way to use ripe avocados.

For some odd reason all this avocado talk reminds me of a scene from the movie "Bottle Shock" where Alan Rickman (Britt wine snob) samples some guacamole for the very first time while visiting the California wine country.

Last edited:
Mmmmm, guacamole.

I don't put a lot of stuff into my guac, either. A little salt to bring out the flavors, a little garlic powder, a touch of lime juice and sometimes I'll add diced tomatoes. That's it.

One of my favorite things is to make a BLAT wrap. Well, that's what I call it. It's basically a BLT with avocado and I wrap it all up into a tortilla, then grill it on the stovetop until it's slightly browned. I had one last night and one the night before. Tonight we're doing pizza, though, so I have to wait until another day to have my BLAT :(

Why I have not made a BLT in a toasted tortilla is beyond me.. :ermm:

I will remedy that very soon.. :yum:

Ross

Why I have not made a BLT in a toasted tortilla is beyond me.. :ermm:

I will remedy that very soon.. :yum:

Ross

It's delicious. Sometimes I spread the tortilla with a thin layer of mayo (gotta have mayo in a BLT) and sometimes I'll mash the avocado and make avocado mayonnaise and spread the tortilla with that instead.

Living here, we are surrounded by Has avocado trees along with citrus trees. I grew up loving them. There's some great ideas posted but I draw the line at avocado ice cream or pie though..that stuff is just nasty.:sick:

It's delicious. Sometimes I spread the tortilla with a thin layer of mayo (gotta have mayo in a BLT) and sometimes I'll mash the avocado and make avocado mayonnaise and spread the tortilla with that instead.

Very creative and sounds delicious. Smooth avocado mayo? Sounds like you may on to something.

Living here, we are surrounded by Has avocado trees along with citrus trees. I grew up loving them. There's some great ideas posted but I draw the line at avocado ice cream or pie though..that stuff is just nasty.:sick:

Lucky you Kayelle. To have them right there. I grew up in Miami and there were avocado trees all over. Mango too! Seems like every yard had one.
Now I am relegated to the grocery store. The store tries to have some ripe each day. Or take for next day or so.
So I can still get them, but the commercial avocados are not always the best.

I never really appreciated the fruit we had there. My fatherinlaw had a red grapefruit tree. People always asked to get some....lol

Lucky you Kayelle. To have them right there. I grew up in Miami and there were avocado trees all over. Mango too! Seems like every yard had one.
Now I am relegated to the grocery store. The store tries to have some ripe each day. Or take for next day or so.
So I can still get them, but the commercial avocados are not always the best.

I never really appreciated the fruit we had there. My fatherinlaw had a red grapefruit tree. People always asked to get some....lol

Oh are you bring back wonderful memories. That is so true. To be able to go in your own back yard and get oranges, limes, lemons, mangos, avocado, papaya, kumquats, I'm sure I am forgetting somethings. I keep bugging DH to take out the trees in our back yard and plant something we can eat.:rolleyes:

Oh are you bring back wonderful memories. That is so true. To be able to go in your own back yard and get oranges, limes, lemons, mangos, avocado, papaya, kumquats, I'm sure I am forgetting somethings. I keep bugging DH to take out the trees in our back yard and plant something we can eat.:rolleyes:

I live in Ohio and we not only had a house in Dublin, Ohio, where we grew up, but we had a place at Lake Erie as well, where we would spend all of our summers. And I remember my sister and I sitting under the apple tree, eating one apple after another.

Good memories :sleep:

I live in Ohio and we not only had a house in Dublin, Ohio, where we grew up, but we had a place at Lake Erie as well, where we would spend all of our summers. And I remember my sister and I sitting under the apple tree, eating one apple after another.

Good memories :sleep:
Isn't it a shame that so many kids these days won't have those wonderful memories.

Back
Top Bottom