Himalayan Sea Salt Chunks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
A friend gave us a small amount of some random chunks. I want to break them up enough to put in my salt grinder, but I don't want to wreck my food processer or spice grinder blades. I took the chunks out on the workbench, rolled them in a kitchen towel, and whacked them with a hammer, but all I got was a tiny amount of salt powder. The chunks were still there.

Any ideas how to break them into smaller chunks?

Last edited:
As long as you were out at the shop bench, see if there is a wood rasp (file). Blow the dust off and have at it. Sounds like a kitchen (OXO type) grater won't work and this calls for Industrial Strength tools.

Otherwise, set them out on a flat rock for the deer to lick -- only after garden season is over.

Thanks Whiska. I want to bash it into chunks that are small enough to fit into my grinder. I may have to take it to the driveway and hit it with a sledge hammer. That stuff is amazingly hard!

Last edited:
This salt packet I got is touted for culinary use, not for bathing :LOL: Guess I'll try a sledge hammer with it in a pillow case or whap it continuously with a shovel. Or a rock. I just want to be able to grind it up and put it on stuff!

Last edited:
Does the salt look something like these? These could be hard to crack into small enough edible pieces. Maybe you could put them in the bathtub and visualize you are on a seaside vacation.

Right. A seaside vacation in the Himalayas.

Did you read the part that said "Perfect for Salt Lamps, Ionizing, and many other uses. Recommended for external use only"?

Last edited:
Did you read the part that said "Perfect for Salt Lamps, Ionizing, and many other uses. Recommended for external use only"?

Of course I read this. I wanted DL to see it without being blatant. And I was unable to google up any practical info. She says the bag identifies as edible. Good.

However, I do retract offering to the deer. The only place one should ever set out a salt block for them, no matter how pretty they are, is if one is a hunter and then put some out near your deer stand.

Oh jeez. I would never put them out for the deer! They've already chomped off my ornamental sweet potato vines and are working on my blueberries. No shortage of critters here!

Well, it was more a tongue in cheek deer offering. I live in the heart of the city, close to a creek and 2 city lakes We have deer, also foxes and coyotes and raccoons, some pretty cool wading birds and more. I feed birds in the bird feeders. DxW feeds her squirrels too, readily identified as the fattest and slowest on her block. Her dog still can't catch 'em . :LOL:

I hope you find a work around to use your salt.

I'm thinking a hammer and a chisel. If you do decide to put them in a bag on your driveway, and whack them with a sledge hammer, I would suggest placing some plywood down to avoid damaging the cement of your driveway.

To make salt for culinary use, I believe large, steel pulverisers are used. You would quickly destroy the blades of your blender, or food processor tyring to turn blocks of salt into edible chunks.

Now if you had a large slap of the stuff. It's great for heating up either on the grill, or in the oven, and cooking on. It seasons the food that's cooking on it, especially steaks, of any kind of meat, including fowl and fish, that you can think of.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of those once. It came with a small grater but it was still hard to get a usable amount. I kept it in a pretty bowl for a while, but I don't know where it is now lol

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of those once. It came with a small grater but it was still hard to get a usable amount. I kept it in a pretty bowl for a while, but I don't know where it is now lol

You can rest easy. Whenever you find it, it will still be good. However, it is NOT dishwasher safe.

I use HimalaSalt (Primordial Himalayan Sea Salt) most likely from the same company as your chunk, only mine is already ground and in a shaker. Even if it is expensive, I like it! It does taste different. The chunks are meant to be used to heat in the oven and food placed on top or beneath during the cooking process to pre-salt the food... often some cut of meat or fish. Rubbing is another way to transfer the saltiness.

I was going to suggest a chisel and hammer but Chief beat me to it, also using it to cook with. I've always wanted to try cooking with a slab but didn't want to make the investment in something I might not like or find to be too much trouble to do again. Since it was a gift, I'd give cooking with it a whirl for sure.

I think I'll try both the wood rasp and the hammer and chisel ideas. The amount is too small to break out the sledge hammer and pillow case.

Looking forward to tasting it!

I think I'll try both the wood rasp and the hammer and chisel ideas. The amount is too small to break out the sledge hammer and pillow case.

Looking forward to tasting it!

I think the rasp would give you more control and more useable results.

Back
Top Bottom