Holiday Dinner for Two?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Hi,

For the first time in a long time, it will be just my husband and I for Christmas. Can any of you help me to plan dinner for just the two of us?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Lyndalou

Instead of turkey, make small chicken breast, instead of ham, make couple of nice pork chops. Instead of mashed potato, make two baked potatoes.

Holiday dinners should be special. What you choose for dinner will depend on what you consider special.

SO and I are likely going to be alone for Christmas day so we're planning filet mignon with Bearnaise sauce, potato (I want Lyonnaise potatoes), and probably asparagus.

I may surprise her with a bottle of champagne to go with it.

For dessert I plan a cheesecake with a fruit topping - maybe blueberry.

Andy's dinner sounds wonderful..I can almost taste it. But I think for Christmas day I would go with Rock Cornish Game Hen, Herb roast potatoes or sweet potatoes (to make things easy) or maybe a stuffed squash. That asperagus sounds really nice or maybe some lemon almandine green beans. For starters I would definately do something simple with shrimp (It can be so inexpensive these days.) I'm thinking something really traditional for dessert, whatever your hubby would like. At our house it would have to be pumpkin pie but that's our house.

i go out on christmas eve to a party with buffet. christmas , a brunch with family. i could go to my granddaughter's dinner (she has the buffet) last year she had spaghetti. not christmas fare. so i have stuff to make small amounts of traditional food for just me. bought some deli smoked turkey or may cook game hen i have in the freezer. one can sweet potatoes to dress up. green bean cass. (small) mashed potatoes already made. i figure dinner and some left overs which are the best part. will bake many goodies for the two gatherings so will take out some for me. i will be alone by choice. after the eve and the buffet , i will be exhausted and can eat at my leisure. perfect plan i think. this would certainly work for two.

I like the cornish hen idea. They can be made as simple or complicated as you choose. I lately have become a big fan of fingerling potatoes. Tossed with herbed EVOO and baked till just short of crisp turns them into finger food. A nice salad. Either a nice oaked Oregon or Washington white or champagne. The shrimp appetizer sounds good. So many ways to prepare shrimp nibble food. Store bought cheesecake for dessert.
For a festive dinner for 2, I try not to turn it into an all day chore. Save that for the big parties. Simple food, well prepared. It's the company that counts.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I went to Sam's Club today and found 1 lb. lobster tails (frozen, but what the heck). We will have those. Suggestions for sides? I love this forum, you are all so helpful whenever I get stuck.

Lyndalou

I went to Sam's Club today and found 1 lb. lobster tails (frozen, but what the heck). We will have those. Suggestions for sides? I love this forum, you are all so helpful whenever I get stuck.

Lyndalou

I am SO JEALOUS. When it comes to lobster, who cares about sides. All I want is lots of butter and NO lemon.:wub:

Lyndalou

Sounds fantastic. Enjoy your special meal.

...found 1 lb. lobster tails (frozen, but what the heck). We will have those. Suggestions for sides?...Lyndalou
I'd go Mediterranean for the sides like 2 of these:
Greek Salad
Catalan Spinach
Asparagus
Stuffed Tomatoes
Roasted Fresh Summer Vegetables
SunDriedTomatoes/BuffaloMozzarella/EVOO/Pepper/FreshBasil
Toasted PineNut and Veggie couscous

Andy's dinner sounds wonderful..I can almost taste it. But I think for Christmas day I would go with Rock Cornish Game Hen, Herb roast potatoes or sweet potatoes (to make things easy) or maybe a stuffed squash. That asperagus sounds really nice or maybe some lemon almandine green beans. For starters I would definately do something simple with shrimp (It can be so inexpensive these days.) I'm thinking something really traditional for dessert, whatever your hubby would like. At our house it would have to be pumpkin pie but that's our house.
I second the cornish game hen. My mom used to make these for our family of 5 and they make a really fantastic presentation AND they're delicious. The concept of having something like an individual "mini turkey" for each person fun and special. Like you it will be just my husband and I for Christmas. I live in the Philippines so I can't get the cornish game hens here. But if I could....that's what I would do. I may get a whole chicken and bake it, then combine it with a few family staples and one or two of his favorite dishes.

Oh and if you want to continue with the "mini" theme....here's a little trick I use on my homemade apple pie recipe. I always have leftover filling for my apple pies (family favorite, I have to make 2 every year because they go so fast). So I make a little teeny bit extra crust, then use a muffin tin to make "baby pies". The baby pies are usually served to my niece and nephew, who love getting a "whole pie" to themselves. That might be a cute way to round out the theme if you go with the game hen idea.

Otherwise....I'd stick with a small ham, baked with a honey glaze, and a few of your favorite side dishes. So what if you have some left over? Yum....ham sandwiches!! :chef:

Oops! Shoulda read the whole thread before replying. :)

Well with lobster tails (YUM!), as others have suggested you want light sides. You might even buck the conventional meat + starch + vegetable formula and opt for 2 veggies. But with any kind of seafood if I make rice I use either simple steamed rice or butter-herb seasoned rice and a simple vegetable. Asparagus is a great suggestion. I frequently make steamed green beans tossed with roasted garlic with a bit of black pepper and just a smidge of butter with my seafood entrees. You'll want dessert to be light as well, maybe a nice fruit tart?

As for beverage, I'd pair that with a crisp white wine....probably a Riesling or Pinot Grigio.

make some appetizer with salmon... And try a grill fois gras for the main course ?

I like a very simple side. Green beans sauteed in butter with lemon and sprinkled with roasted almonds...yum.

I second the cornish game hen. My mom used to make these for our family of 5 and they make a really fantastic presentation AND they're delicious. The concept of having something like an individual "mini turkey" for each person fun and special. Like you it will be just my husband and I for Christmas. I live in the Philippines so I can't get the cornish game hens here. But if I could....that's what I would do. I may get a whole chicken and bake it, then combine it with a few family staples and one or two of his favorite dishes.

Oh and if you want to continue with the "mini" theme....here's a little trick I use on my homemade apple pie recipe. I always have leftover filling for my apple pies (family favorite, I have to make 2 every year because they go so fast). So I make a little teeny bit extra crust, then use a muffin tin to make "baby pies". The baby pies are usually served to my niece and nephew, who love getting a "whole pie" to themselves. That might be a cute way to round out the theme if you go with the game hen idea.

Otherwise....I'd stick with a small ham, baked with a honey glaze, and a few of your favorite side dishes. So what if you have some left over? Yum....ham sandwiches!! :chef:

apple pie minis great idea. had some at thanksgiving , but sorta forgot about them. a definite must do. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom