Home made mayonnaise: ISO suggestion what recipe to use it in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snip, thanks for the suggestions. TL, no I didn't throw it out. I was so tired at that point that I decided to defer the decision. I was thinking the same thing, that it looks like salad dressing and has pretty much the same stuff. I was also waiting to see if there were any suggestions if it could be recovered, but I doubt it.

Plan #1 right now is to go get Ratio and I'll head over to the library--their online catalog claims it's on the shelf at my local branch.

Also, I'm going to have a look over everybody's suggestions and probably pick one, then stop by the market and get anything required ingredient wise. I'm leaning towards fish.

Well I'm sorry to say: total fail.

My mayonnaise never emulsified. I ended up with something resembling Italian salad dressing. I can't find the website now, I must have closed the window.

Was your egg cold?

Did you hold the blender right over the egg until it started to form a stiff mixture before you started to blend?

I hit it with an immersion blender for probably an hour. It always looked like it was going to emulsify but it never did.

When it works it only takes about 25 seconds.

This is one of my biggest cooking defeats in years.

It took me a few attempts before I got it to work.

I got the message and warmed the egg to room temperature. Otherwise I've kind of forgotten the details. I was frustrated and tired and hungry, and getting progressively more grumpy by the minute!

And yeah, I didn't expect the whole thing to take more than several minutes from measuring ingredients to putting it in a storage container.

I expect to try it again tonight. I'm leaning towards the Lemon Aioli suggestion although I'm going to take a quick peek at Ruhlman's book before making a final decision.

Salmon sounds good at the moment. I usually broil it over the gas grill so I think I'll poach it, to give the mayo a maximum opportunity to star without any competition from other flavors.

Funny to see this post today, as I have just finished making mayo with my stick blender. Also made seasoned bread crumbs. Now I thought I might use the mayo to coat some of my ravioli, then coat them with the crumbs, and deep-fry them and a side of sweet potato fries. Roasted tomato sauce on the side.I'll let you know how they turn out.
39817-albums888-picture5165.jpg

Well I'm sorry to say: total fail.

I did a google search on home made mayonnaise or something like that, and took the first result. The directions looked reasonable so I followed them.

My mayonnaise never emulsified. I ended up with something resembling Italian salad dressing. I can't find the website now, I must have closed the window.

I hit it with an immersion blender for probably an hour. It always looked like it was going to emulsify but it never did. I finally sauteed some fillet mignon strips and made tacos...

I reserved "Ratio" and there's 2-3 copies in the public library system within driving distance if the library doesn't just pull the copy off the shelf at my local branch and put it on their hold shelf. (The way things are going they'll probably send it from South LA, but if they do at least I can go over to my local branch and just pick it off the shelf.)

This is one of my biggest cooking defeats in years.

IMHO a blender does a much better job of making mayo than a stick blender. :angel:

My nicest textured homemade mayo was made with a mixer. Okay, the stuff I made by hand with a whisk had great texture too, but it seemed to take forever. :LOL:

My nicest textured homemade mayo was made with a mixer. Okay, the stuff I made by hand with a whisk had great texture too, but it seemed to take forever. :LOL:

We made it in Home Ec by hand and you certainly developed some muscles. :angel:

IMHO a blender does a much better job of making mayo than a stick blender. :angel:

Well aready I've had my second fail, and working on the third.

I'm going to have to put my salmon in the oven pretty soon. (I'm oven baking/steaming it in a foil packet.)

Sorry to say I've had my 3rd fail and working on the 4th.

I followed Ruhlman's basic recipe... I got his cookbook. )

Unfortunately I got another total fail. Salad dressing, assuming I add vinegar

Adding more oil to the "salad dressing" may make it recover. Try that.

If I remember, in Home Ec we added the oil veeery slow. And I do mean slow. But that was in the late 50's. My memory may be a wee bit off. I do remember leaving that class with a very tired arm. I failed to see the use for that recipe. I was never going to make it again. Way too much work. :angel:

I have a recipe for mayo, but it is made in the food processor. It has variations (additions) for blue cheese dressing, Thousand Island etc. If you're interested, let me know.

Re how you can use the mayo...

Potato salad
Macaroni salad
Tartar sauce
I like to add some mayo to smashed/mashed potatoes :yum:

I think I'll try to make mayonnaise again tomorrow, only this time I'll make it early in the day when I'm not so tired. That may have been part of my problem. I think I'll repeat Ruhlman's recipe but I'll try harder.

If I get it to work I may have sushi for dinner. I make spicy tuna rolls using a mixture of mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce, then mix my chopped tuna in that.

Tiredness can bring on frustration and that in turn can bring on failure.

Wise decision. Take a break and try again when you are refreshed. Good luck. If the recipe just doesn't work, go to Google and see where his differs from others. Don't keep wasting your energy and supplies. :angel:

Tiredness can bring on frustration and that in turn can bring on failure.

Wise decision. Take a break and try again when you are refreshed. Good luck. If the recipe just doesn't work, go to Google and see where his differs from others. Don't keep wasting your energy and supplies. :angel:
+1

Greg, if you want, I can PM you a post for blender mayo that has worked for me. The texture is a bit thinner than Hellman's (Best Foods in California).

Shame man. I say make butter, buy some decent mayo and drink a vodka then you won't care if your mayo flopped lol! Plus you'll have the satisfaction of making something good from scratch with your blender :)

Thanks everyone, for some new ways to use mayo. I would hate to think, though , that anyone would believe that making mayo, with or without an immersion blender is anything but "silly simple".
Over a year ago, The Kid and I found that we had each bought two 18 egg boxes because they were on sale, so one of the things that we did with them was try a number of ways for making mayo, using two eggs per batch, though we had to go out for an extra gallon of oil. the results were kinda boring, We found that you can make mayo equally well with an immersion blender, an electric beater (though you can get some amazing splats using this method, if you are not careful or if you are deliberately trying to splat yr partner)), a balloon whisk , which is really hard work and works best if you have a partner so that one (The Kid) can whisk while the older, lazier person pours. a food processor which works great but is a nuisance to clean, as always, or a stand mixer, which was probably our favorite.
One of the great things about this recipe is that you can get away with a wide variation of quantities.
Start with 2 eggs. Discard the whites for a thicker mayo, but it's OK if you toss them in, and if you find one lonely egg left in the box, toss it in too, for company.
Use 2 Tbs of white wine vinegar, though regular white or almost any kind is fine. You can reduce the amount to make the mayo thicker, but I wouldn't go below 1 Tbs.
2 Tbs or less of lemon or lime juice, and although the recipes always say "fresh", bottled is fine. I've used 4 Tbs, total, of liquid to 2 eggs; don't go below 2 Tbs, total,and more than 4 will make the mayo very runny.
Dry ingredients consist of 1/2 tsp each of salt, sugar and dry mustard, and again, you can use up to twice as much mustard and salt as that and just a pinch (my preference) of sugar. You can leave out the dry mustard if you are out of it, or substitute a little regular mustard.
I use 2 cups of whatever vegetable oil I have handy. Some folks use olive oil "because it's more healthy", but I make 2 cups of mayo per week (which is about its maximum refrigerator life) and corn oil is a lot cheaper. This two-egg mixture by the way, can incorporate a lot more than 2 cups of oil. Try it out some time!
Again, some folks worry about the danger of getting salmonella poisoning from the raw eggs. When I make mayo, I quote the lines "Salmonella stay away,/I do not want you here today." This appears to work since I have never contracted salmonella poisoning.
Once everything (liquids first, dry stuff second) is in the bowl, beat it until all of the ingredients are well mixed and start pouring the oil in very slowly. The idea of adding it drop by drop must go back to the days when folks beat their mayo with a very tiny whisk; the big thing to remember is to be sure that you are whisking whenever the oil is being added.
And that's it. You will find that your mayo is thinner than the store bought kind; you can thicken it if you like by adding an extra egg yolk to the finished mayo and beating it in.
I make mayo every Monday morning and throw out what is left in the fridge. The whole job takes about five minutes, including clean up. You may find that you normally don't eat that much mayo each week, but with the great recipes earlier in this thread, you might find that you have to double up.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Long story short I figured it out yesterday. The immersion blender's blades are too deeply recessed to contact the yolk/oil mixture until I had 2-3 ounces of oil added, and by then the blender caused the mixture to break. All the blender was doing is making noise and my tired imagination filled in.

So I decided to do it and forget the stick blender, but discovered that I don't have any whisks around. I tried it using just a spoon and broke my arm. Well, truth is my arm got tired and all I had added was the yolk, water and a bit of oil.

I'll make it maybe tomorrow since I think I'm doing spicy tuna roll and want to use home made mayo instead of store bought.

So I bought a whisk but I had company tonight and didn't have time to cook or prepare stuff that wasn't on the menu.

Which brings to mind another question. My EVOO makes greenish mayonnaise... and simple to see why. I just made a batch of Castile soap last weekend using the classic ingredients: EVOO, lye, water, and it came out greenish too. The greenish olive oil soap is kind of nice but I think I want my mayonnaise to be more white. I looked at a bottle of Best Foods mayonnaise and they list ingredients as soy bean oil and olive oil (in that order).

So what oils have you all been using?

I use vegetable peanut or light olive oil.

And when I use the stick blender I put everything in before I start blending.

Back
Top Bottom