Homemade cat food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I looked into homemade catfood, but decided I didn't want to worry all the time if I had the right nutrients. I get Purina Pro Plan wet food and Purina Indoor formula for dry. Chicken flavor only or Latté won't eat it.

Or human food...first cat I ever met that doesn't like fish.
That's pretty much what I get for Shreddy, except I get the seniors formula in the dry. He likes all of the canned food except the liver. A cat who doesn't like liver?!

The concern about getting the nutrients right is why I was thinking that a daily dose type of thing would be a good idea.

Maybe I should just try to come up with an all meat/fish/dairy/egg dry cat food.

That's pretty much what I get for Shreddy, except I get the seniors formula in the dry. He likes all of the canned food except the liver. A cat who doesn't like liver?!

The concern about getting the nutrients right is why I was thinking that a daily dose type of thing would be a good idea.

Maybe I should just try to come up with an all meat/fish/dairy/egg dry cat food.

Cook it and dehydrate it, break into pieces Shreddy can handle. Keep a pot of oat grass for any greens he wants. Both my cats will eat fresh spinach, I give it to them about once a week.

Cook it and dehydrate it, break into pieces Shreddy can handle. Keep a pot of oat grass for any greens he wants. Both my cats will eat fresh spinach, I give it to them about once a week.
I was thinking of grinding meat and then cooking/dehydrating it and finally breaking it into bite sized chunks, maybe pulsing with the Magic Bullet.

I remember reading that the only vegetable matter that cats could easily digest was tomato. Don't know if that's true.

I was thinking of grinding meat and then cooking/dehydrating it and finally breaking it into bite sized chunks, maybe pulsing with the Magic Bullet.

I remember reading that the only vegetable matter that cats could easily digest was tomato. Don't know if that's true.

They sell "cat grass" in the pet food stores, it's just oat grass. Mine like it.

Make sure Shreddy gets his taurine...no taurine kitties go blind.
Taurine is very important re: cat diet. But, the studies done showed that it took 6 months of a diet w/out taurine before the blindness appeared. This would tell me that I could be messing with the diet for six months before I noticed that. Natural sources of taurine include raw beef, lamb, eggs, dairy products, and brewer's yeast.

Latté eats cheese, I wonder if that counts as loaded with taurine. Of course, she only eats the expensive stuff.

Oscar will eat cheese, but only smoked gouda... He likes Bacon too, but only the meaty part, I have to break that off for him, if I don't he will look down at it and then look back at me as if to say "really, have I not trained you better?"

He'll only eat poultry based food and treats. Now I know how my mom felt with me as a picky kid!

Oscar will eat cheese, but only smoked gouda... He likes Bacon too, but only the meaty part, I have to break that off for him, if I don't he will look down at it and then look back at me as if to say "really, have I not trained you better?"

He'll only eat poultry based food and treats. Now I know how my mom felt with me as a picky kid!

Latté eats bleu cheese...Shrek had blue cheese dressing last night and that cat went nuts. Aside from treats, the cat's diet is based on what I can get Latté to eat. I don't fix two meals for Shrek and I, I'm not doing it for cats, either. Smudge doesn't care as long as it's cat food.

Back
Top Bottom