Homemade Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

69RoadKing07

Assistant Cook
i have made serval attempts at a wonderful stock(type and etc not needed)but i was wondering what can i do with the used mirepoix.alot of waste. thaught bout compost but still lotta waste. the bones work great for other stuff after browned and cooked. but poor ole veggies.

Got any livestock? Other than pig feed its pretty much done. If you have dogs you could try that.

It's not a waste. It provided great flavors for your food. What else can you expect? It's not worth eating, all the flavor is in the stock.

Eat it.:LOL:

After you pour off most of the stock, add some leftover meat for a bowl of soup.:chef:

The vegetables will actually have lots of flavor, although they will probably all taste the same and have ZERO texture left, so I would do with them the same as I do with everything else in the stock. Green bin (recycling), compost or garbage. They are really not fit for a meal any more.

I understand your concerns RoadKing.
It may be flavorless and I may choose to throw it out, but it gives me pause in thinking of all the truly hungry people in the world. I'm reminded of how very spoiled I am.

Welcome to DC.

The left over mirepoix could be used to thicken soup. Some soups have vegis puréed in the blender as thickener. I'm not sure the left over mirepoix would need more than mashing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom