Hot dog brands you buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Nathans and Hebrew National hot dogs seem to be the favorites. I myself like Nathans skinless bun length beef hot dogs. They aren't as fat
a round as the others. I definitely like the skinnier size. Hebrew National is also not too fat a round but has just a bit too much seasoning, making their all beef kosher dogs having a somewhat sausage flavor to them.

When I order hot dogs from Der Weinersnitzel, I prefer the ones made from pork, turkey and chicken over the spicier all beef ones. I would buy Oscar Meyer regular bun length hot dogs if they weren't fatter in circumference than Nathans. "Ballpark dogs plump when you cook them". They add water to make them do that. Oscar Meyer has been advertising that they no longer add nitrites and nitrates to their deli meats. I'm not sure if that applies to their hot dogs.

I was also wondering if anyone has frozen Nathans hot dogs (or hot dogs in general) and let them thaw slowly in the fridge (bought on sale). Does the texture or taste suffer any if used within a month or so? I couldn't get a definitive answer Googling it.

Last edited:
Our favourite hot dogs are from a company called "Viandes Biologigue Charlevoix / Charlevoix Organic Meats". They don't actually call them hot dogs. They call them "smoked sausages", but they look like hot dogs and taste like hot dogs. They are really, really tasty and juicy, and locally sourced.

We freeze our hot dogs all the time, and have never had an issue with the texture or flavour when thawed. We often thaw them in cold water.

Our favourite hot dogs are from a company called "Viandes Biologigue Charlevoix / Charlevoix Organic Meats". They don't actually call them hot dogs. They call them "smoked sausages", but they look like hot dogs and taste like hot dogs. They are really, really tasty and juicy, and locally sourced.

The term hot dog is kind of a broad noun. In 60's Denmark, we ate yummy Polsa hot dogs on a beach vacation. It was a reddish looking dog, not overly spicy, if I remember.. Came in a hot dog looking bun, so it was a Danish hot dog to me.

The term hot dog is kind of a broad noun. In 60's Denmark, we ate yummy Polsa hot dogs on a beach vacation. It was a reddish looking dog, not overly spicy, if I remember.. Came in a hot dog looking bun, so it was a Danish hot dog to me.
Did you ever get those hot dogs from a "pølsevogn" (hot dog wagon)? They are great, eh? But, if you ask for a hot dog, it will come on a bun with two kinds of mustard, ketchup, and I think some deep fried onions. There might be relish too. They actually call that a "hotdogs". :LOL: Well, maybe they have gotten more sophisticated since then and realize that the s on the end makes it plural in English. If you just ask for a "pølse" you will just get the wiener on a piece of parchment paper with a blob of mustard and a blob of ketchup to dip the wiener in. They will also sell you a small bun to go with the wiener. Most people do ask for that.

Pölsa in Denmark is sausage but pölsa in Sweden is more like a soft haggis. I prefer Lithells, Lindvalls or Slaktarkorv when it comes to hot dog, but we seldom eat it.

I’d like to try those. Charlevoix region produces some great food. I did some of the flavor trail a few years back. The lamb is the best I have ever eaten. Not to mention the cheese and duck products. There is a meat shop across the river in Hull that carries Charlevoix products. I just have to take time to go.

Last edited:
I buy what I believe is a fairly local brand, Pearl Kountry Klub hot dogs. They are natural casing and have a nice snap to them. I freeze hot dogs in a Ziplock all the time. Defrost them and the bun in the microwave (separately) then cook the dog and toast the bun. I don't detect any problem with the texture.

Hebrew National here, no butts about it. Nathans skinless are a second choice.

There's a couple of famous hot dog joints around Northern NJ that have their own proprietary dogs (Rutt's Hut, and The Hot Grill) that you can buy their dogs, but since we've moved farther north I don't often get the chance to get there.

Someone once suggested Best Brand hot dogs to me, so I tried them. They were terrible!

We loved Wimmers natural casing wieners. Haven't had them for a couple years, I'll have to remedy that.

Nathans and Hebrew National hot dogs seem to be the favorites. I myself like Nathans skinless bun length beef hot dogs. They aren't as fat
a round as the others. I definitely like the skinnier size. Hebrew National is also not too fat a round but has just a bit too much seasoning, making their all beef kosher dogs having a somewhat sausage flavor to them.

When I order hot dogs from Der Weinersnitzel, I prefer the ones made from pork, turkey and chicken over the spicier all beef ones. I would buy Oscar Meyer regular bun length hot dogs if they weren't fatter in circumference than Nathans. "Ballpark dogs plump when you cook them". They add water to make them do that. Oscar Meyer has been advertising that they no longer add nitrites and nitrates to their deli meats. I'm not sure if that applies to their hot dogs.

I was also wondering if anyone has frozen Nathans hot dogs (or hot dogs in general) and let them thaw slowly in the fridge (bought on sale). Does the texture or taste suffer any if used within a month or so? I couldn't get a definitive answer Googling it.

I find it a bit amusing that this is posted under "Beef", since the traditional hot dog is not a beef product. I rarely buy beef hot dogs - prefer pork, and don't mind some poultry mixed in to help keep the cost down.

For brand, I generally buy Bar S or Ball Park brand for actual hot dog wieners. I usually buy in a pack of 16 or 20 and freeze in ZipLoc bags of typically 3 or 4 in each.

I also like Johnsonville's smoked brats, either the Jalapeño cheddar or the beer brats... precooked like a hot dog is, but with a lot more flavor than a regular dog.

I find it a bit amusing that this is posted under "Beef", since the traditional hot dog is not a beef product. I rarely buy beef hot dogs - prefer pork, and don't mind some poultry mixed in to help keep the cost down.
Same [emoji38] We also enjoy Ball Park hot dogs, although I'm avoiding eating them right now. Had a partial intestinal blockage last spring and hot dogs don't break down - those buggers are thoroughly emulsified.

Traditional American dogs are a mix of beef and pork, and then there's all beef, and of course the poultry additions.

European ones are generally pork, but they're not the same thing we call hot dogs.

Back
Top Bottom