How Are You Social Distancing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has been pretty easy for us here.. we live on the 8th floor of a 12 floor condo building in Mazatlan Mexico. Most of the snow birds have flown back to America and Canada. We do have a few neighbors who decided to stick around for various reasons but not many.

The pool is still open but the bar, the saunas,hot tub, lounge and other public areas are closed. The Mexican beaches are all closed and being guarded by life guards, police and military guys. Easter is the busiest time of year here in town but with the beaches and hotel closed NO ONE IS HERE. It's very quiet.

We've been home for over two weeks and our friends here have also been alone for two weeks so.. Friday we are doing dinner together. We have a large kitchen table and will sit spread apart. They will bring food from their condo and I fix some here for us. It'll be nice to see people again. Hubby and I are pretty much hermits and we like it that way though being forced to be a hermit is different than choosing to be one. I feel a little trapped but... we have a nice deck to sit on and a beautiful view out our window to gaze at. Pelicans fly by all the time and that makes us smile.

Keep safe, keep healthy and keep happy!

Smiles, Trish

We have been considering retired life outside the US for quite some time now. How is living in Mexico?
I look forward to hearing about it.
I love everything about Mexico though I have never been.
I love the food. I love the beach. I love fishing and I love the people. Is it safe? My number one concern after possibly owning property there.

Can you tell us more about life in Mexico?

I went out today, for the first time in about 3 weeks, but not for food. I had a friend over to help me pick up an order I made at a local hydroponics store, for my garden (I needed a young kid to do some work for me). He moved all the heavy stuff - bales of promix and lumber, to make another raised bed. Now, I have a lot to keep myself busy!

My cousin sent me this. Some of you may have already seen it, but figured I'd share. Some of them gave me a good chuckle.

• Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.
• I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.
• I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.
• Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or The Bedroom
• PSA: every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.
• Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.
• I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone
• This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.
• So, after this quarantine.....will the producers of My 600 Pound Life just find me or do I find them?
• Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.
• My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.
• Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.
• I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?
• Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.
• Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year"... I'm offended.
• Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under

Thanks for this, Linda. I can relate to many of these, we all have to have something to smile about in these times! :)

It has been pretty easy for us here.. we live on the 8th floor of a 12 floor condo building in Mazatlan Mexico. Most of the snow birds have flown back to America and Canada. We do have a few neighbors who decided to stick around for various reasons but not many.

The pool is still open but the bar, the saunas,hot tub, lounge and other public areas are closed. The Mexican beaches are all closed and being guarded by life guards, police and military guys. Easter is the busiest time of year here in town but with the beaches and hotel closed NO ONE IS HERE. It's very quiet.

We've been home for over two weeks and our friends here have also been alone for two weeks so.. Friday we are doing dinner together. We have a large kitchen table and will sit spread apart. They will bring food from their condo and I fix some here for us. It'll be nice to see people again. Hubby and I are pretty much hermits and we like it that way though being forced to be a hermit is different than choosing to be one. I feel a little trapped but... we have a nice deck to sit on and a beautiful view out our window to gaze at. Pelicans fly by all the time and that makes us smile.

Keep safe, keep healthy and keep happy!

Smiles, Trish

Mexico!! I can only tell you about Mazatlan...
It is wonderful in so many ways. It is a real working Mexican town.

There are tourists but we are not over run with them.
There are a few touristy type things to do but not a lot. We do not get spring breakers. We do have some major holiday crowds (mostly Nationals) and things get very busy. Very very busy and crowded.

The people here are kind and helpful and happy! The middle class is growing but there are many many poor folks but they seem to find happiness easily. Their family values are strong.

Transportation is easy and inexpensive. The bus system is very easy to use. Taxis, uber and polmanias are also available. We have a car but you don't really need one.

The food!!! ����♥�� Need I say more??

Shopping, there are fresh veggie markets on every corner.
Seafood is easy to find and fresh. We have walmarts, Sam's, Sears, Home Depot, Starbucks and many other choices. AmazonMx works perfectly.

The beaches are beautiful and calm. And mostly clean. We watch whales, dolphins and stingrays from our condo window. And this year we were finally lucky enough to watch a turtle laying her eggs!! ��

It's not perfect... Things move much more slowly here and it can get very frustrating...some times you have to go to the bank three times to get a simple thing done. Appointments scheduled for Monday at 10:00am may not happen until 4:00pm the following day and if you are at home waiting for a repairman...well you just wait and wait then they show up with out tools or supplies. There are good reasons for them not being prepared but it's hard to deal with. Also they don't always have the training they need to to a proper job. Your ac repairman may have been a gardner yesterday and a plumber the day before that. The Mexicans have learned to make do with very little and are so used to not having high quality or well built items that they think anything is good enough so not everything is up to our gringo standards.

Hubby and I came here in 2005.. We fell in love with the town and it's people and their traditions. We bought our condo (preconstruction) after only being here for three days.
The condo was delivered on the day they promised in April 2007. It was the longest two years ever!! We used the condo as a vacation home until four years ago when Paul retired. We sold everything we owned in the states, loaded up our few remaining items and our cat in the back of our truck and moved here two days after his last day of work.

We have never regretted our choice. This is home sweet home now and forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Beach Girl, for your interesting posts. My wife and I love Mexico and have been vacationing there for many years. Have often thought of moving there in retirement but haven't seen fit to so yet - getting a bit old for that kind of major change now, particularly now that COVID will occupy our time & thoughts for quite some time.

Meantime, here's my daily routine during this time of home isolation and physical distancing:

Haven't changed a darn thing from the usual daily routine that I've maintained religiously for many years.

I think it helps to pass the time well and more importantly, to continue maintaining a welcome degree of normalcy in these trying times.

My day also includes 15-20 reps of around 2 dozen specific body exercises, at least twice daily, to try staying fit. While self-confined to the house, I also walk an extra 2,000 or more steps each day inside the house, and get some fresh air every day by taking some of the steps on our 20 foot long back deck. (I've actually maintained this regime for several months now, which I started last November to prepare myself for the hip surgery I had arranged with the orthopedic surgeon for scheduling as mentioned below).

Since the elective surgery to replace my 2nd hip (previously scheduled for April 30th) was cancelled in order to keep as many hospital beds as possible free and available for COVID patients in B.C., these extra steps and the exercises have strengthened my legs significantly and kept my bad hip relatively pain free - which kind of surprised me - but was just great - I haven't taken any pain meds for a few months now !

SO and I had joined the gym at the senior center here in town. She's been doing it for 6 months and I just joined the end of February. They have a good selection of equipment for cardio and strength training. At the end of my third week, the gym was closed.

To compensate, we bought a recumbent stationary bicycle. I've been doing that three times a week since, moving up difficulty levels.

I also started with 5 pound weights for upper body but had to stop as I am having trouble with my right shoulder.

Andy, I got one of those recumbent bikes years ago, but it was in my bedroom, and didn't get used as much as it should have. A couple of years ago, when I had a bad accident with my right knee, and had it operated on, during rehab, when I started the bike there, as one of the many exercises, I decided to move it into my living room, and it's been there ever since, getting a lot more use! While I don't always get my heart rate up, and ride off a lot of calories :)rolleyes:), it's better than not moving at all, and I often ride it while fooling around on my tablet, or something like that. And something else I often use on it, that I also discovered when doing rehab for a shoulder surgery, is a Body Blade. I have to use it carefully, as my r shoulder is also screwed up (it really needs a joint replacement, unfortunately). But some of the Body Blade exercising can be done w/o moving that joint much (I hold my upper arm tightly against my body, while vibrating the BB), but the muscles in the upper arm still get some strengthening. I use the shorter (yellow) one, when at my bike.
Yellow Body Blade

Last edited:
One of our old-dear-friends lives in a Senior's Living Community
this is how they are Social Distancing:

Anne's Community.jpg

Anne's Community1.jpg

I think this is great!

I think it was last week or so, Mrs. Nextdoor-Neighbor asked me over to sit and chat on their new front patio. We each had our own wine and a snack, we stayed the suggested 6+ feet apart at all times, outside mind you.

Do you know that one of our other neighbors had made a big stink on our closed social media site about how we should
"... stay the (expletive) at home! What are you doing socializing like that!?"

I knew that she was going to do something like that when I saw her drive by the house, slow down, glare at us, and wag her finger at us :glare:

But here's the really stupid thing, on this site, you have to show your real name and address in order to even sign in-AND she was dumb enough to post her photo!!! :LOL:

A local TV station aired a video of high school seniors circling their cars around so they could visit. Except in their case most of them were curled up in the trunk/cargo area.

I saw this video on a Cleveland news site. Just another visual of how important social distancing is:

https://youtu.be/o4PnSYAqQHU

A local TV station aired a video of high school seniors circling their cars around so they could visit. Except in their case most of them were curled up in the trunk/cargo area.

I saw this video on a Cleveland news site. Just another visual of how important social distancing is:

https://youtu.be/o4PnSYAqQHU

That video makes the point well.

i's Easter morning and I wish I could get greater social distance from my family members who live in my house. Neither pay rent. Neither contribute to the household income. Neither pull there own weight. both complain incessantly about all of my failures.. I;m the one who ground the meat and stuffed the sausage casings, provided the wood for smoking, and the charcoal. I'm the one who cleaned everything up afterwords. I'm the one hwo got up at 6 a.m. this morning and made three kinds of candy, all really good, real chocolate candies for DW, and DS, though the D part is in question. I;m also the one who did the dishes yesterday, and cleaned and sharpened all of the knives yesterday. And I'm the one who gets complained at every day. I would truly love to be with any of my other children, and grandchildren. There is happiness in those households today, and love.

If I were strong enough, and had a good motorcycle, I would strongly think about hoipping aboard, filling up the tank, and taking off for a month long ride, taking my paychecks with me, and letting the cards fall where they may. I'm tired of being in a wheelchair, tired of being winded walking up one flight of stairs, tired of constant criticism. Is it too much to ask for one day of piece, and goodwill in my home, just one, especially as we celebrate the blessed day that is Easter (for those who celebrate this holy day)? I truly hope that my chosen beliefs are correct, and that there is piece waiting for me, and a wonderful reunion with those who have passed before me.

zi msy not be ready to go there yet, but when that time eventually arrives for me, as it does for all of us, I won't fear it. The only thing that will make that day difficult, is knowing there will be the sadness of my children, and hopefully my wife, for me leaving mortality, and the temporary separation

I want a peaceful and happy day. And I sure hope your Easter celebrations, or if you don't celebrate it, that your day is still filled with love and happiness.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Very sorry to hear of your troubling day today, Chief, particularly on this generally very celebratory, happy day.
I truly feel bad for you, but I do offer my best wishes for your continued usual strength of spirit and positive outlook, during these very calamitous times.
I'm looking forward to your soon re-enjoying some happier, more pleasant experiences -
And I for one, really enjoy reading your truly interesting and informative posts, Chief - stay safe and healthy !

Very sorry to hear of your troubling day today, Chief, particularly on this generally very celebratory, happy day.
I truly feel bad for you, but I do offer my best wishes for your continued usual strength of spirit and positive outlook, during these very calamitous times.
I'm looking forward to your soon re-enjoying some happier, more pleasant experiences -
And I for one, really enjoy reading your truly interesting and informative posts, Chief - stay safe and healthy !
+1
RMM said it better than I could.

After a good start, then bad morning, things settled down. Everyone is now in better sprits, especially after I skyed with the grandkids and everyone talked to them. They are the breath of fresh air that was needed. The compllaining son purchased 3 ribyes and smoke/grilled them on the webber, with corn on the cob. He also sliced up and fried some shrooms to go with them. Everyone likes the hojmemade candy.l I think it tastes better than the Reese's peanut butter filled chocolate bunny, and the Cadbury Eggs (I never thought I'd enjoy a chocolate better than Cadbury). All in all,the day has gotten significantly better.

I appreciate all of ypu. Sorry for venting ealier. No one needs to hear of problems on such a day as today is supposed to be. It's a wet blanket kind of thing.

May the rest of your Holiday be wonderful

Seeeeeya; Chjief Longwind of the North

Everyone is under a lot of stress. We might look like we are handling it well, but a lot of people are having a hard time or out and out trauma related mental health problems.

Chief. I lost my youngest daughter Saturday morning. She was 37 years old.
My Sunday was horrible and it still is today.
Sometimes we have a bad day and we vent and things get better. My daughter is not coming back to me.
I would give anything to be able to have just a plain ole bad day.

Chief. I lost my youngest daughter Saturday morning. She was 37 years old.
My Sunday was horrible and it still is today.
Sometimes we have a bad day and we vent and things get better. My daughter is not coming back to me.
I would give anything to be able to have just a plain ole bad day.

RB, my heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
Losing a child is probably the most difficult of all {{{{hugs}}}}}

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom