How do I cut thin New York deli-style lettuce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaartnaz

Assistant Cook
hi,

i wanted to know how this cut of lettuce is done? i mean the lettuce is thin sort of like noodles. i'd think a knife wouldn't be precise enough to cut lettuce that small. thanks.

You could put wedges of lettuce in a food processor and shred it (using the shredding disc). That's the only other way I can think of, other than a knife, to cut it thin.

Last edited:
A good knife can very much cut the lettuce into the strips. Basically, I cut the lettuce in half and then run a sharp knife through it and get the long thin strips. I like this for taco salad.

this is sort of what i mean

steak_and_cheese.jpg

Cut it in half from top to bottom. Put the flat cut-side down on a cutting board - using a knife (preferable a chef's knife or one of that size) slice very thinly going from top to bottom. Same way you shred a head of cabbage for cole slaw.

You can use the slicer/shredder disc in a food processor or the slicer/shredder attachment if you have a KitchenAid stand mixer and have that attachment.

I have a cleaver that can do it, a 7" chef's knife, a 7" Santoku knife. Anything with a sharp blade that's fairly long to go through the length of the head of lettuce.

Lettuce in a restaurant like that is generally shredded in a machine. You can do it with a food processor.

Or with a knife as weveryone else has said.

hi,

i wanted to know how this cut of lettuce is done? i mean the lettuce is thin sort of like noodles. i'd think a knife wouldn't be precise enough to cut lettuce that small. thanks.

Hi Aaartnaz,

It is known as a "chiffonade".

Wash the lettuce and remove any ribs. Allow to dry or use a salad spinner.

Cut the leaves into 5-7 cms/2-3 inches strips in width and cut finely with a knife. A good sharp knife will make an excellent chiffonade for use in Seafood Cocktail a la Gordon Ramsey or Marco Pierre White!!!!!

Archiduc

If you are not going to use your shredded lettuce right away it will turn brown due to a reaction with the metal knife or metal food processor blade. There are two ways I know of to get around the browning issue. The first way is to treat it with an antioxidant. This can be either crushed Vitamin C tablets (ascorbic acid) or a commercially prepared product such as "Fruit Fresh." Both are dissolved in water, then you soak the shredded lettuce a few minutes and drain.

The other way to avoid lettuce browning is to shred it with a lettuce knife. These are made of plastic so there is no chemical reaction with the lettuce. You can buy a lettuce knife on Ebay. They are also available at Target.

One last thing. You can revive browned lettuce almost to a fresh state simply by soaking it in plain water. It won't completely remove all the brown but it does a respectable job.

Good luck.

Jeff

If you have a mandolin you can use that too on the thinnest setting. I have a small commercial meat slicer that I use if I am wanting quantity for an event, but I usually do as the others mentioned and take a long sharp knife (chef's knife and slice thinly as Michael described.

Back
Top Bottom