How do I measure sodium content?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
If I have three ingredients in equal amounts, such as Ketchup, vinegar and water.
I mix them together. How would one figure the salt content of the mixture?
Thanks!

Well water and vinegar have no sodium and according to my Hienz ketsup bottle a tablespoon has 190 grams and you mix together a tablespoon of each that would give you 190 grams sodium. Is that what your looking for?

Sum of the products of the sodium content per portion times the number of portions for each ingredient.

EG where K=HeinzKetchup V=Vinegar and W=Water, @ 2 Tbs Each:

K=2 x 190= 380
V=2 x 0 = 0
W=2 x 0 = 0
Total = 380mg Sodium

Thanks! That makes sense.
Thanks also for the upgrade on the title of this thread!!!
I am looking to make a low salt, low sugar barbeque sauce for my mother. She wants BBQ chicken and she wants me to use an old family recipe to make the sauce. The main ingredients are ketchup, vinegar and water. There are a few other flavoring ingredients, but I was concerned about the amount of sodium in the ketchup. I reckon I will start from scratch with fresh tomatoes. I am substituting Diet Coke instead of the brown sugar. I am also considering the addition of a small amount of Vanilla to enhance the sweetness without actually adding more sugar.
Thanks so much for your replies!!

Have you thought about caramelizing some onions and adding those to your sauce? That will help with the sweetness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom