How do you cook swiss chard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnysmile

Cook
I'm loving my co-op basket, because I am getting veggies I've never cooked before. The artichokes I had were a success. Now I've got swiss chard. I assume you can cook it like spinach, but was wondering if there are any TNT recipes you can share with me.

If the Swiss Chard is early season, it makes a great substitute for basil in pesto (not the big leaves, but the smaller ones). I do add a bit of basil, but I love Swiss chard pesto. I usually use pecans (I am allergic to pine nuts). Otherwise, whatever you can do with spinach, you can do with Swiss Chard, IMO. Swiss Chard is a "self-seeder" in our gardens, so we always have it available, even as late as December-January in SE Ontario, Canada.

the stalks are very edible, but cook longer than the leaves. I chop the stalks on a bias and saute in garlic and olive oil, and add the leaves near the end. They need a short saute. garlic shallots olive oil chili flake salt and pepper. Great with meats and poultry, some fish.

the stalks are very edible, but cook longer than the leaves. I chop the stalks on a bias and saute in garlic and olive oil, and add the leaves near the end. They need a short saute. garlic shallots olive oil chili flake salt and pepper. Great with meats and poultry, some fish.

Exactly. Great,also mixed in with some pasta and good cheese

Swiss Chard (particularly the multi-colored "Bright Lights" or
"Rainbow Chard") has to be one of my very favorite vegetables, & one that I use VERY frequently, especially now that it's in season. It's also considered one of the "power house" vegetables with regards to vitamins & minerals - good & good for you. Here's one of our very favorite ways to enjoy it as a side to basic seafood & poultry mains; & it also makes a nice omelet filling:

Breezy Sauteed Swiss Chard

1 bunch of Swiss Chard ( multicolored like “Rainbow” or “Bright Lights” is my preference, but ANY variety of chard is just as good & good for you!!)
Water
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-4 garlic cloves (depending on how much you like garlic)
crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Grated Parmesan Cheese to taste
Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs to taste

Fill a pot large enough to hold the chard with water & bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, separate the chard leaves from the stems. Trim the stem ends & cut the stems into 1"-2" pieces depending on stem thickness. Roughly chop/slice up the leaves, keeping them separate from the stem pieces. When the water reaches a boil, add the stems & cook for around 5 minutes. Then add the leaves to the pot as well & continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes depending on leaf size & thickness. Drain in a colander.
Heat a dollop (about a tablespoon or two) of extra-virgin olive oil in a skillet. Smash the peeled garlic cloves with the side of a large knife, sprinkle them with salt & chop (the salt will not only season, but will keep the garlic from flying around your cutting board as you chop it). Add the drained chard, minced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes to taste & stir until heated thru. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan & Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs, stir again, & serve.

Last edited:
I posted this one here ages ago, it's still one of my favorites though:

Swiss Chard w/ Hazlenuts and Raisins (TNT)

3 T raisins
1-lb Swiss chard, washed well
2 T EBOO
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 T toasted hazelnuts, chopped
S & P

Place raisin in small pan with water to cover. When the water begins to boil, take the pan off the heat and let the raisins sit for at least 5 minutes.

While the raisins are soaking, cut each Swiss Chard leaf away from the stem and central rib. Cut the leaves into 1/4-inch crosswise slices. Dice the stems and central ribs.

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chard and the garlic, and saute, stirring frequently, for 6 - 8 minutes or until the chard is tener. Drain the raisins and toss them and the hazlenuts inthe the chard. Season with salt and pepper, serve.

when I made roast duck last time, I chopped the chard into thin strips and cooked lightly in duck fat. then serve with vinegar

MMM...these all sound so good! I didnt get back to my computer until late tonight, so I just decided to wing it. I had rainbow chard, and I cooked it with mushrooms, onions, garlic, sauteed in oil with small chicken breast chunks, then mixed with brown rice. It was lovely, I can't wait to have it again.

Breezy Chipotle Cheddar Chard

This very colorful & healthy dish has become one of our favorite vegetable sides when we want a green vegetable to go with a Spanish or Mexican meal. Last night I paired it with my "Spanish Shrimp" & some Spanish rice. It also makes a terrific filling for quesadillas, & can be made wholly vegetarian by subbing water for the scant amount of chicken broth. Enjoy!:chef:
Breezy Chipotle Cheddar Chard
(Adapted From “Eating Well”)

Approx. 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, peeled & chopped
1 bunch chard (“Ruby” or “Rainbow” types are particularly good in this), stems and leaves separated; stems thinly sliced & leaves roughly chopped
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes halved, or an approximate equal amount slightly larger tomatoes quartered or eighthed (is that a word? Lol!)
Approx. 1/3 cup chicken broth (or water)
Approx. ½-1 teaspoon ground “Chipotle Chile Pepper” (McCormick’s)
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
Approx. 2 handfuls shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and chard stems and cook, stirring often, until slightly softened (not browned). Add tomatoes, broth, chipotle pepper, & salt, & bring to a simmer. Add chard leaves, cover, & continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until chard stems are just tender & leaves have wilted down (about 2-3 minutes). Scatter cheese evenly over the top of the chard and continue cooking just until the cheese is melted, (1 to 2 minutes more) & serve.

I can't wait to get more chard to try all these yummy ideas. Thanks so much everyone!

Saute in butter, thinly sliced garlic and add a little salt to taste. Swiss chard can make a plate really come to life but unless it is your main ingredient, stick to keeping it simple and avoid another "recipe" on the same plate.

I made a tart using swiss chard (LCBO Food and Drink Magazine):

Recipe Details

It was very good. I also made the zucchini tart out of the same issue.

Food and Drink has good recipes. There are 16 that use swiss chard.

Swiss Chard Pesto

4 c young Swiss chard leaves (if they are more mature, blanch for about 1-1/2 - 2 minutes, shock)
1/4 c fresh basil
1/4 c pecans
1/4 c grated fresh parm. or similar cheese
EVOO
3-6 cloves garlic (to taste, obviously)
S&P

I pulse the garlic and pecans in the FP first, add the chard, then the grated cheese, and then the oil. I freeze this in an ice cube tray. I put about 1 tsp of EVOO on top of each cube, cover the tray with plastic wrap. When the cubes are frozen, pop into a ziplock bag. Each cube is about 1 T of pesto.

Back
Top Bottom